Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Will we see cowcatchers in the subway?

m7zanr160s

...You think that we'll see a type of cowcatcher implemented on subway cars (old and new) to kind of curb, or prevent these frequent 12-9's? ...Like what LIRR cars have.

...You think that we'll see a type of cowcatcher implemented on subway cars (old and new) to kind of curb, or prevent these frequent 12-9's? ...Like what LIRR cars have.

Cows Don't Take The Train.

Lol @ the thought of it...if anything it'll probably make the scene of the 12-9 more gruesome as body parts would be more spread apart on the tracks.

Well, being cleaved in half by a cowcatcher isn't any better.

I think August Belmont designed the IRT to have narrow and short tunnels so that railroad tycoons that had the devices on their trains wouldn't be able to run their trains through the subway and take it over.

Well...

Cowcatchers mainly push things to the sides of the train. If a person is down there and gets hit by the cowcatcher (granted he doesn't get split open upon impact), all its gonna do is push him against the tunnel wall and crush him to death. Plus said person might get fried if the cowcatcher puses him on the 3rd rail side

You sure about that? Lots of Americans qualify for bovine status these days...

That said a "cowcatcher" won't save any lives at all. You think hardened steel hitting someone at 20-40MPH is all that much better than getting run over? It has NO give...

you do realize it is called a "cowcatcher", not a "person catcher", right, lol? Seriously dude, I can't even imagine how this would stop a 12-9.

I'm figuring that someone would be pushed down the track, as opposed to being flat out run over or exposed to all the hard under-workings of a train, in some cases. Um, my mindset is that the train would be breaking buying a little time and decreasing the chance of a fatality for the victim. It's not a total problem solver, but something I thought would decrease chances of a death.

I'm not talking about an ACTUAL old-fashioned cowcatcher! I just didn't know any other name for the thing. But you do get the point, and, it could be designed differently so as to keep things in the center. I'm just thinking run-over prevention.

What he means is a "sweeper" type device. These devices do exist on the R44SI fleet. The device is called cowcatcher for its original purpose---to catch and sweep cows out of the way.

That said, it's probably not a good idea, because it's extra cost for minimal benefit.

No they don't... It's a plow for snow.

like INDman said its a plow for the snow since parts of the CTA routes run on the surface along side streets. a cow catcher would have no purpose in the subway even if to catch a person. and if its on an elevated part of the subway its going to be worse the person would get pushed off the El and land on the street. its just better (to me) if someone decides to kill themselves and falls on the tracks just let the train run them over. even if it makes it hard to find the body or body remains.

How about just a simple awareness program telling peole how to not die if they somehow find themselves on the tracks and cannot get back on the platform. I mean, this would only apply to the people who aren't tryng to kill themselves, obviously, lol.

The drainage space or whatever it is between the ties on what? 98% of the underground portion of the subway can fit a person or two with a train above them. Remember the guy who jumped on top of the person having the siezure? Then there are the little wall coves for track workers, but to me that's a bit more sketch cause you are next to the 3rd rail in most of those cases.

Obviously peoples nerves and panicing would play a huge factor, I mean, you gotta really trust what you're told to have the balls to lay down infront of a train to let it pass over you. But hey... if you wanna live/keep your limbs...

Cowcatcher though? LMAO. Perhaps if some sort of giant balloon were to inflate far enough infront of the train to bounce the person off... or perhaps cover it in the same glue used on mouse traps... hahaha. I could go on for days describing contraptions.

people that fall on the tracks dont realize the space under the edge of the platform. they fit perfectly sideways, even though you would be inches from the hot electric pickup shoe of the train.

but like you said you got to have some Balls to stay on the tracks. some people get killed because they try to get onto the platform when the train is heading their way.

people that fall on the tracks dont realize the space under the edge of the platform. they fit perfectly sideways, even though you would be inches from the hot electric pickup shoe of the train.

but like you said you got to have some Balls to stay on the tracks. some people get killed because they try to get onto the platform when the train is heading their way.

That's usually not true. At many stations there is no room under the platform. I'd say ask the lady who ended up on the tracks at 77th St on the Lex last year, but she was crushed between the platform and the train because there was no room.

Archived