Coney Island-Stillwell Av; 4 Years Later, re-opened to the Brighton & Culver

Sunday May 23, 2004

The Brighton (Q) and Culver (F) Trains once again, extended their routes from their temporary homes (Brighton Beach for the (Q), and (Avenue X for the(F)), back to the, then long-awaited semi-completed Reconstructed Stillwell Avenue Terminal. West End (D) Train service was moved from 7 & 8 Tracks (West End Platform) over to the Sea Beach Platform (1 & 2 Tracks), so the West End Platform can be re-constructed.

Sea Beach (N) Train Service continued to Terminate at Gravesend-86St, until May 28, 2005.

Zachie

Sunday May 23, 2004

The Brighton (Q) and Culver (F) Trains once again, extended their routes from their temporary homes (Brighton Beach for the (Q), and (Avenue X for the(F)), back to the, then long-awaited semi-completed Reconstructed Stillwell Avenue Terminal. West End (D) Train service was moved from 7 & 8 Tracks (West End Platform) over to the Sea Beach Platform (1 & 2 Tracks), so the West End Platform can be re-constructed.

Sea Beach (N) Train Service continued to Terminate at Gravesend-86St, until May 28, 2005.

Zachie

Rode the (N) and (F) down here many times since 2004.

- Andy

Yeah, thanks for the history info. I think the (N) was terminated at Gravesend a few times in the 1990's too. Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island is largest elevated subway complex in the system! (D)(F)(N)(Q)

Its actually the largest elevated electric rapid transit station in the world.

Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island is great, but it should also be a Rush Hour terminal for the (B). This would help the (B) riders, so they don't have to go looking for the (Q) to Stillwell.
It wouldn't help because then you'll be sending too many trains to CI onto tracks 3&4 which is not good. The (Q) is good enough because the service is good and the train isn't all that packed yet.

Its actually the largest elevated electric rapid transit station in the world.

I saw a special on tv about the NYC subway with a focus on the elevated lines a few years back right after it was finished. I think it was on national geographic or history channel. I was surprised.

- Andy

The only thing I miss about the old Stillwell terminal was the lack of the canopy. On a sunny summer day, the wide open space of the terminal just gave you that old time beachy Coney Island feel. But the new station is very nice, and a great upgrade over the condition the old one was in. And obviously on a rainy day that canopy is quite helpful..

The only thing I miss about the old Stillwell terminal was the lack of the canopy. On a sunny summer day, the wide open space of the terminal just gave you that old time beachy Coney Island feel. But the new station is very nice, and a great upgrade over the condition the old one was in. And obviously on a rainy day that canopy is quite helpful..

The canopy covers everything except the north portion, about 200 feet of the subway station. I agree, that's helpful on rainy days, but there tends to be some leaks.

It wouldn't help because then you'll be sending too many trains to CI onto tracks 3&4 which is not good. The (Q) is good enough because the service is good and the train isn't all that packed yet.

(B) trains pass through Stillwell Avenue, because they are using the Coney Island yard for storage. I understand the overcrowding on the (Q) platform, on tracks 3 and 4

So here's my solution for the (B) at Stillwell Avenue

Rush Hour peak direction, the (B) will go to Manhattan from Stillwell Avenue as trains are taken out of the yard. They will use Track 4 on the (Q) platform to enter service.

At evening rush hours, when the (B) returns to the yard, they'll arrive and terminate at Track 1 on the (N) platform.

The (B) will also serve Ocean Parkway and West 8th Street.

Sounds like a reasonable plan, of course, track 1 on the (N) is accessible from the Brighton line (Q)

The canopy covers everything except the north portion, about 200 feet of the subway station. I agree, that's helpful on rainy days, but there tends to be some leaks.

(B) trains pass through Stillwell Avenue, because they are using the Coney Island yard for storage. I understand the overcrowding on the (Q) platform, on tracks 3 and 4

So here's my solution for the (B) at Stillwell Avenue

Rush Hour peak direction, the (B) will go to Manhattan from Stillwell Avenue as trains are taken out of the yard. They will use Track 4 on the (Q) platform to enter service.

At evening rush hours, when the (B) returns to the yard, they'll arrive and terminate at Track 1 on the (N) platform.

The (B) will also serve Ocean Parkway and West 8th Street.

Sounds like a reasonable plan, of course, track 1 on the (N) is accessible from the Brighton line (Q)

Sounds like a good plan. Maybe during summer months only when CI is a hoppin' place! B)

- Andy

Archived