Freezing A/C

CTK246

Since the warm weather kicked in...do you feel the A/C on trains is TOO cold? I was Freezing badly today...

i just hope they turn on the A/C's on the R142's that serve the (2)(5) lines. everyday ive been on them since last week them cars have become ovens inside.

I was nice and cool on the express bus coming in, but the A/C could've been higher. :mad: I got irritated last week. One of my co-workers kept turning down the AC and eventually i had to go to her office and see what was going on. I told her to have maintenace shut her HVAC vent because I needed AC and then I turned up the AC again, went back to my office and made it like an ice box again. :cool:

Since the warm weather kicked in...do you feel the A/C on trains is TOO cold? I was Freezing badly today...

not really. don't get me wrong i don't want to be in a subway car that has the temperature of antarctica but i also don't want to be in a subway car that is really hot either. i usually get lucky to find a subway car with the A/C at the right cool temperature.

I was on a R160B (Siemens) (N) train and man I was shivering in there, no matter how hot it was outside.:confused:

It's either too warm or too cold. It's never the proper temperature. You would think that in the year 2011, they would have the technology to set a thermostat at 70 degrees.

In theory, the problem is if you set it at 70 degrees you add a couple more degrees (you can do that math if you want) just from everybody's body heat. And then you gotta account for the heat thats getting into the train while everybody is getting on and off at each station. That's just my theory on it.

On that subject I wonder how many people are complaining that the cars are too cold today...

Some people must complain about anything to make their day. Makes one wonder how those "ancient" straphangers survived before the advent of AC. We oldtimers have a saying in RTOland. " Back in the days when trains were wood and MEN were steel". Just thought I'd throw that out there. No offense meant. Carry on.

Those R142As, R68As and R44s (RIP) :cry: have the best A/C! I miss those R44s man, I remember catching one @ 42nd on a warm day and chilling on that train all the BK when I had to get off and transfer lol, plus those things moved. :cool:

Now the AC is too cold but when its not super cold peeps still moan.....

The subway is to get you from Point A to B; not to please you with the A/C. Get over it.

Not a pass at you or anyone in general, but I absouktley HATE it when people bring up the Point A to Point B argument. Not a lot of people would ride the subway if it was too cold or hot for their comfort. Even if the subway had something EXTREME on it, someone would still bring up that argument. We don't pay $2.25 for JUST Point A to Point B. It doesn't natter if people ride on an intensity dirty subway car that's germ-infested, so long as it gets you from Point A to B.

But would a person pass up a car at the height of rush hour just because the a/c isn't working efficiently? When it comes to getting to work on time or waiting a few extra min for another train with better a/c, then you have to weigh the decision. Personally, if the trip isn't too far, I'd rather sweat it out [literally] than to wait longer on the hot platform.

But would a person pass up a car at the height of rush hour just because the a/c isn't working efficiently? When it comes to getting to work on time or waiting a few extra min for another train with better a/c, then you have to weigh the decision. Personally, if the trip isn't too far, I'd rather sweat it out [literally] than to wait longer on the hot platform.

If I get on a train with a B/O A/C, I will get off and wait for the next train. The wait (unless something goes very wrong) will be shorter then my ride home.

Honestly I have actually let a train go just because the A/C isn't working. Plus you said it yourself: Height of Rush Hour. So chances are the wait is going to be worth it. That ride to work/home is always a lot longer when you're in discomfort.

True... but even with all the trains running, you run the risk of waiting even longer as each train are just as crowded. And on lines served by 2-3 different lines, it gets more complicated. That said, I'm just glad my first stop is a terminal. If I lived a few stops north of it, I'd probably would take a s/b train to the terminal just to secure a seat in a car with a working a/c.

A subway car may feel cold when relatively empty only to feel comfortable (less cold) as the car fills up with people. The same is true for heating. A bus operator may be able to adjust A/C or heat to account for the number of passengers on board but a train operator cannot really do this considering how much a train can fill up/empty out at any one station or the fact that the middle of the train may be packed while end cars are relatively empty. I think it is foolish to complain about cars being too cold on hot days. If the A/C is blasting on a 58 degree day in May then that is a different story. I first rode the subways in the 1960's and was a regular rider from 1974 on. I recall when the R46's entered service how well their A/C's worked during a prolonged heat wave in 1977.

Archived