Freezing A/C

CTK246

Shm..

Effing Wussies the lot of em...

Lol...people will always complain no matter what and just when you find the solution to one issue they'll find something else to complain about whether it's A/C, new equipment, frequency, etc., etc., etc.

Some people really have no idea how lucky we are to have such a vast and large transit system and the price to ride it is he'll of a lot cheaper than most systems that aren't even as big as ours.

The service the MTA provides for us is a means and not a luxury. Hell for what it's worth people don't even acknowledge the hell we put token booth clerks, train operators, bus operators, conductors, cleaner, and to an extent even dispatchers day after day. No wonder a lot of T/A workers hate their jobs...no job can ever pay you enough from dealing with the public....

Lol...people will always complain no matter what and just when you find the solution to one issue they'll find something else to complain about whether it's A/C, new equipment, frequency, etc., etc., etc.

Some people really have no idea how lucky we are to have such a vast and large transit system and the price to ride it is he'll of a lot cheaper than most systems that aren't even as big as ours.

The service the MTA provides for us is a means and not a luxury. Hell for what it's worth people don't even acknowledge the hell we put token booth clerks, train operators, bus operators, conductors, cleaner, and to an extent even dispatchers day after day. No wonder a lot of T/A workers hate their jobs...no job can ever pay you enough from dealing with the public....

The public has a right to be critical, especially since it is the public that subsidizes the system. The fares are low, but we put out a lot of tax dollars for what we get (whether we use the system or not) and for my money, you better believe I'm going to critical.

As far my complaining goes, all I ask for is my express bus to show up within a resonable amount of time and to have a bus with decent climate control, seats that work, and a clean bus. I don't hassle any token booth clerk because I use the vending machines and I don't even speak to the B/Os anymore unless it's to say thank you if they hold the bus for me or something, so I certainly don't consider myself to be a "burden" per se. If I get on and the express bus doesn't have AC I will confirm first w/the B/O and if it doesn't I will request to be let off so that I can wait for another bus.

Today the X30 was a good 10-15 minutes late because the door was broken, so we had to switch buses at Richmond & Forest. Everyone was patient and calm even though that meant that some folks were late for work and were waiting for a while in this heat, so I think we endure a lot and put up with a lot on both ends. I do agree that some passengers can be a pain in the @ss, and I think you find that more so on the local bus and subway than you do on the express bus.

Sorry for the rant but sometimes people ask for way too much. Yeah I understand that passenger comfort is important especially when it comes to fleet maintenance to make sure the doors are working properly so people can get on and off the bus quickly and efficiently, and the A/C is working so passengers don't die due to a heat stroke. Trust me, don't think for one second I accept something that's faulty. But some things I'll tough out. If a bus has broken A/C I'll open the window. It sucks the MCIs don't have windows with hatches on top, or windows that slide open, something that I do not understand whereas the local fleet do. I got on an R62 on the (3) and the A/C was very weak so I stood by the storm door and opened it a bit to allow ventilation to pass through.

For what it's worth people will always find something to complain about, it's a never ending cycle. However they should complain about issues that really matter. At the same time, it should be the depot's responsibility that the components of the bus are working at all times so there wouldn't have to be any complaining in the first place. I seriously don't know how in the world depots let their buses go out and make service in the condition they are in.

Sorry for the rant but sometimes people ask for way too much. Yeah I understand that passenger comfort is important especially when it comes to fleet maintenance to make sure the doors are working properly so people can get on and off the bus quickly and efficiently, and the A/C is working so passengers don't die due to a heat stroke. Trust me, don't think for one second I accept something that's faulty. But some things I'll tough out. If a bus has broken A/C I'll open the window. It sucks the MCIs don't have windows with hatches on top, or windows that slide open, something that I do not understand whereas the local fleet do. I got on an R62 on the (3) and the A/C was very weak so I stood by the storm door and opened it a bit to allow ventilation to pass through.

For what it's worth people will always find something to complain about, it's a never ending cycle. However they should complain about issues that really matter. At the same time, it should be the depot's responsibility that the components of the bus are working at all times so there wouldn't have to be any complaining in the first place. I seriously don't know how in the world depots let their buses go out and make service in the condition they are in.

It's funny that you mentioned that because I had a conversation about this very topic with my uncle years ago. He said that the (MTA)'s position (at least back then) is that as long as the bus is working and isn't in a position to cause harm to the passengers it gets sent out. That would basically mean something like a serious accident would have to be possible for the bus to be put out of service or some phyiscal damage like a broken mirror or something. Also, he made a point to tell me that they don't clean the inside of the buses either. However, I think some depots do, but most clearly don't.

Now back to the maintenance thing... This means that if a bus doesn't have A/C, it is sent out because the main focus is to move passengers from point A to point B, and I think the (MTA) views things like A/C as "non-essentials", which I certainly disagree with since you have people with certain illnesses and such. I got into a heated arugment once with a B/O on the X14. I get on and the bus feels warmer than usual, so before dipping my card, I asked him "Is there A/C on this bus"? He responds "Yes". I get on and take my usual spot. As we get further down towards the SI expressway, the bus is becoming hotter and hotter and by the time we reached the FDR where I couldn't get off, the bus was literally an oven. I was on the verge of passing out, as were thers on the bus who were slumped over trying to make it until they reached their stop. We were stuck in traffic on the FDR for what felt like forever and it had to be over 90 degrees on that bus with no windows. By the time we reached 23rd & 1st I was boiling, not only from the heat, but from the fact that I had specifically asked him if there was A/C and he stated yes. We got into a shouting match simply because he put me in harms way when I didn't have to be in that situation.

I was more than willing to wait for the next bus. When it was said and done, I was so pissed and hot that I got off at 23rd and 1st and walked all the way to the train station at 23rd and Park to cool off and to cool my nerves. I couldn't understand how in the world he would have that bus in service like that and he said he couldn't pull it out of service unless it was above 90 degrees outside or something like that, but since it wasn't, even though it was clearly above 90 degrees inside of the bus, he had to keep in service.

Another time I rode an X10 and the driver said he kept the bus in service because he didn't want to leave folks stranded. The thing is the shocks on the bus were shot, so every bump we hit we would literally bounce around non-stop. If I were older, I'm sure I would've suffered from back pain for a few days, as the back and forth really was taxing on the body.

As for the X14 B/O, I did eventually apologize to him because I realized that he was in a f*cked up situation and was just following the rules, but he still should've been honest and said that the A/C was out.

Since the warm weather kicked in...do you feel the A/C on trains is TOO cold? I was Freezing badly today...

For a day like today, the A/C can be as cold as it wants to be and I'll be super happy! LOL Now in general, Im usually satisfied with the A/C but when I'm on the train for a long time like when I've been down by Bleecker St and I'm going to Pelham Bay, by they time I hit the Bronx, the cold starts to bug me and once the (6) comes outside, I'm shivering lol but that's not an everyday thing for me. I'm "cool" with the A/C.

Archived