Exam 8011 (my results)

Nite

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a feeling they were going to do that. They don't need station agents off the street when they have list of guys waiting to go back to s/a. They do need Cleaners. So what are u goin to do Primo?

I'm not sure yet but I will probaly wait till they call me off the street for sa which I'm guessing will be 6-12 months . That's should be enough time to call back the remaining

Sa's that were laid off . So how do you like being a cr and how does it compare to being a sa

I'm not sure yet but I will probaly wait till they call me off the street for sa which I'm guessing will be 6-12 months . That's should be enough time to call back the remaining

Sa's that were laid off . So how do you like being a cr and how does it compare to being a sa

I don't know if you should wait primo!!!. I know you want the S/A job, but who knows how long that will be before they call you. One woman I know is number 211 on the first wave of last years lay-offs and she took the cleaner job. As far as I know they rehired every one from the August 13th lay off wave back to S/A and some from the may 11th wave as well. I would say take the CTA job since it's civil service you will be better off than labor class cleaners if job cuts ever come again. And if when they reach your list number on the C/R exam you'll already be an employee. That's just my opinion. Also does it clearly say if you refuse the cleaners job, do you retain your right to take the S/A job if spots do become available?. I guess since they offering cleaners jobs, they must have rehired everyone that was laid off already as CTA or S/A.

Yes the letter states that taking the job or declining the job will not affect your standing

On the sa list. They have called every sa that was laid off for either the sa position or

Cta position .

Hummmm well since it says that they would have to honor those words. But if hiring proves slow then you may not be called for the job. I turned down the Temp BTO job when I passed the last BTO exam and they have only hired up to like list number 400 something, and my list number is in the 1000's. And it also told me turning down that job would not affect me in the future. And that list is set to expire this year or next. So look at it this way your foot will be in the door either way if you get called for the C/R job. I guess if you take the CTA job you relinquish your right to the S/A job if openings come in the future?

No if you take the position of cta you will still be called for sa based on list # order

So based on my list # I should be in the first or second class .

Okay well in that case I would definitely say take the CTA job. Your pension and benefits will be rolling while you wait for the S/A job or the C/R job. It's a win win situation for you either way. I mean you have a well earned great opportunity. You already have a civil service job and three others in the horizon. Like I PM'ed you earlier I was fully ready to take the CTA job had I not been called back for my S/A job. They make $25.39/hr at top pay, which is pretty good. You can always go back to your old job before a year if the CTA job proves to be too much for you. But good luck brah in whatever decision you make.

Just and update, I've just learned that 274 S/A's have been reinstated to their former title as of July. And next month 50 more will be reinstated either from the CTA title or from lay off.:tup: All with full benefits and full pay grade.

So that will mean 324 people have returned to work so far as Station Agents and the rest are cleaners. Originally only 125 where supposed to be back to work as of July. I myself wasn't supposed to be back to work till June and I started in March.

S/A is a promo for CTA, so he'll still be called for S/A IF he ever gets called. I think its he didn't want to push a mop around for TA, thats all. There was a T/O who messed up too much, and labor relations gave him a choice of CTA full seniority (he would have been able to get any RDO set he wanted and generally any location or tour, as well as more RDO opportunities) or C/R no seniority. He took C/R cause he couldnt take pushing that mop again.

Yes exactly I don't think I want to push a mop . Thanks will for the update that preferred list moved really quickly . It looks like I have a chance to be called by the end of the year

For sa they only have to hire back another 100 more or less

So they can hire them in 2-3 months so that's good for me because I'm in the top

100 on the oc list for sa

S/A is a promo for CTA, so he'll still be called for S/A IF he ever gets called. I think its he didn't want to push a mop around for TA, thats all. There was a T/O who messed up too much, and labor relations gave him a choice of CTA full seniority (he would have been able to get any RDO set he wanted and generally any location or tour, as well as more RDO opportunities) or C/R no seniority. He took C/R cause he couldnt take pushing that mop again.

I know he doesn't want to push a mop for TA, I didn't want to either, but with limited job options I would've taken it. And the situation you speak of is completely different that person was being demoted due to DANS and already works for TA. Primo does not work for TA and I don't want to see him gamble away a job with TA. Fact still remains they haven't opened up closed booths and they are still demolishing some booths as we speak. S/A is a slow title for people to retire from and they cut even more jobs this pick. So my advice would be for him to just take the job and rough it out til he gets called for S/A or C/R. After TA brings everyone back who knows what other kind of BS they may pull. I know it's not the job you wanted but it's still a foot in the door.

I just got that letter too. I'm so torn! I want to get my "foot in the door" with the MTA but I didn't test for cleaner. Though that starting pay is way better than what i'm doing now.... bah, I dont want to mess up any chances I have for the other positions i applied for. either yes or no to cleaner doesn't seem to affect my s/a standing, but what about conductor or train operator? if i were to accept would i lose my place on those other two lists?

I just got that letter too. I'm so torn! I want to get my "foot in the door" with the MTA but I didn't test for cleaner. Though that starting pay is way better than what i'm doing now.... bah, I dont want to mess up any chances I have for the other positions i applied for. either yes or no to cleaner doesn't seem to affect my s/a standing, but what about conductor or train operator? if i were to accept would i lose my place on those other two lists?

No! You wouldn't lose your spot on those exams because one has nothing to do with the other. Only thing is when they do call you for either one of those exams you'll have to resign from the cleaners position to accept either one because you took a open and competitive exam. Like you've seen me suggest to primo take the job who knows how much longer it'll be before they decide they need more station agents since they wanna offer you guys that job. At least you'll have your foot in the door and you said it pays more than your current job. Fact still remains they haven't reopened closed booths and they're still doing reinstatements and those people still have three more years to be called back to SA from CTA. So those people will be called before anyone new will for the job. I'm not saying the cleaners job is the best but it ain't the worst either. Not many places will pay you $25.39/hr plus full medical to push a mop.

And one more thing for both of you guys to think about before I head out to work.

This statement couldn't be anymore true.

i was thinking that same idea. once you're in, it's easier to move around. Cleaner will most likely not be ideal but, woo higher pay, yay free transpo-pass, and other yummy benefits. at least after one year i can look to transfer or hope that the conductor or train operator list callbacks get closer to my list number. it could be a yr or two before they even hire for those other prostions, and by accepting this offer i could already have a yr with the company :(

i was thinking that same idea. once you're in, it's easier to move around. Cleaner will most likely not be ideal but, woo higher pay, yay free transpo-pass, and other yummy benefits. at least after one year i can look to transfer or hope that the conductor or train operator list callbacks get closer to my list number. it could be a yr or two before they even hire for those other prostions, and by accepting this offer i could already have a yr with the company :(

Exactly!!!. Everyone starts somewhere in this company. But it's not about where you start it's where you end. And with the MTA you can climb very far up the ladder if you want. And sure the CTA title may not be ideal for most but you cannot deny it pays extremely well @ $25.39, with a free Transit Pass which can be used on or off duty, and also be used to gain courtesy rides from neighboring transit systems (Most Times). And you get full medical coverage, pension, and 401k/457.

Hello all. I just received my score card and list # for exam 8011. My list # is 21. I also received the letter about the cleaner position which completely threw me off guard, albeit I was not in a position to review it thoroughly at the time. How long do you guys think it might take to be called for the s/a position with my list #? Also, how long does it take to vest in the pension, or must you retire from MTA in order to receive it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Exactly!!!. Everyone starts somewhere in this company. But it's not about where you start it's where you end. And with the MTA you can climb very far up the ladder if you want. And sure the CTA title may not be ideal for most but you cannot deny it pays extremely well @ $25.39, with a free Transit Pass which can be used on or off duty, and also be used to gain courtesy rides from neighboring transit systems (Most Times). And you get full medical coverage, pension, and 401k/457.

I got my letter to come in for cleaner today also. I think I'm gonna do it. I make 20/hr at my current job but benefits with the city are much better. I'd be taking a 5/hr pay cut. Any cleaners out there wanna tell me the job. Also buddy of mine works for LIRR and he was like just take it trust me. I don't wanna push a broom either but opportunities for advancement within MTA would be easier. Plus I clean and do garbage at my current job. Please car cleaners tell me the daily routine!!!

I got my letter to come in for cleaner today also. I think I'm gonna do it. I make 20/hr at my current job but benefits with the city are much better. I'd be taking a 5/hr pay cut. Any cleaners out there wanna tell me the job. Also buddy of mine works for LIRR and he was like just take it trust me. I don't wanna push a broom either but opportunities for advancement within MTA would be easier. Plus I clean and do garbage at my current job. Please car cleaners tell me the daily routine!!!

Well @ top pay you'll make $25.39/hr which would be a raise. And the benefits are great with the job. The current minimum for CTA is $15.14/hr. And the advancement opportunities can't be beat like your friend said. And since taking the CTA job doesn't affect your standings for the S/A position I would advise you take it. TA still hasn't reinstated all laid off agents to their former titles, and still haven't re-opened closed booths, and are still cutting some jobs. So the wait to be called for S/A could be longer than you think.

Hello all. I just received my score card and list # for exam 8011. My list # is 21. I also received the letter about the cleaner position which completely threw me off guard, albeit I was not in a position to review it thoroughly at the time. How long do you guys think it might take to be called for the s/a position with my list #? Also, how long does it take to vest in the pension, or must you retire from MTA in order to receive it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

First off congrats on getting such a great score on the exam. And the wait to be called cannot be easily drawn out. Because TA still hasn't reinstated all laid off agents to there former titles, or re-open closed booths. And it take five years to be vested into your pension. As you can read my previous post's on this thread I advise all people who got the letter to accept the CTA job and get your foot in the door with TA. You can always move up the ladder in the future, and taking this job does not affect your standings for the S/A job when openings become available.

I got called for a cleaner position with nyct because there are no vacancies

For station agent right now . Did others get the letter as well ,????

Yes. I just received the same letter. I was 318 on the S/A exam list. I have been asked to report for pre-employment on 7/18.I will take anything with transit. I don't want to eat cat food when I retire and with the current job I have that's the way it looks.

Archived