Exam 8011 (my results)

Nite

Yea, but hopefully I can get something a bit closer to home after training is done. Eventually I will look to move into The City, just cant do that quite yet.

kche11gg: Days 1 and 2 are for new people in various titles. It's orientation stuff, like security awareness, avoiding violence in the workplace, going over the benefits options, meeting a few union reps, etc. Nothing job specific. Day 3 was a little bit in the classroom and going out to Queens to get our boots. Day 4 (today) was fun, track safety. We got to go down into a tunnel and "get cleared" so the trains can pass. I don't know if all the classes follow this schedule but it's been interesting. For me it's just sooo far to get to so early in the morning.

Yeah we all do. You'll be extra once you get outta class, so you won't know where you'll be working until the day before. Pick a station in the Bronx as your home station so at least you can get zone 1 jobs most of the time. Right now the ctas haven't started picking yet so you may be able to pick a job sooner than you think if they got y'all seniority numbers before they print out the pick schedule. And hopefully in less than two years you can be called for the station agent title that you tested for.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah we all do. You'll be extra once you get outta class, so you won't know where you'll be working until the day before. Pick a station in the Bronx as your home station so at least you can get zone 1 jobs most of the time. Right now the ctas haven't started picking yet so you may be able to pick a job sooner than you think if they got y'all seniority numbers before they print out the pick schedule. And hopefully in less than two years you can be called for the station agent title that you tested for.

Will,

I think it will be way less than 2 years . They reinstated almost all the station agents right?? So it should be maybe a 6 months wait for the oc list

Will,

I think it will be way less than 2 years . They reinstated almost all the station agents right?? So it should be maybe a 6 months wait for the oc list

Actually there is still 160 people not working yet. I assume after the contract gets resolved there will be a mass exodus of retiring clerks. But that hasn't happened yet. So only time can tell. But if this last pick is any indication of job availability, then it's very low at the moment. I don't feel they will call any off the street clerks at earliest til this time next year. There's no reinstatement classes scheduled for December and I doubt any will be in January either due to the contract ratification proceedings. But don't worry you guys will be called in due time.

kche11gg: Days 1 and 2 are for new people in various titles. It's orientation stuff, like security awareness, avoiding violence in the workplace, going over the benefits options, meeting a few union reps, etc. Nothing job specific. Day 3 was a little bit in the classroom and going out to Queens to get our boots. Day 4 (today) was fun, track safety. We got to go down into a tunnel and "get cleared" so the trains can pass. I don't know if all the classes follow this schedule but it's been interesting. For me it's just sooo far to get to so early in the morning.

Thank you for the info. poughkipsee

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys/Gals,

Just wanted to let my fellow friends on this thread that I got in !! finally...

I do have a couple questions though:

Can anyone elaborate on the job specifics for a cleaner who is assigned to car equipment and office of the Cmo ? By the way what is Cmo abbreviated for ? Also, I heard you can earn vacation time for the 1st year... how do you do that and much vaca can you earn ?

How much waiting week/s before our 1st paycheck ?

Any input/tips for probation time will also be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance :)

Hey Guys/Gals,

Just wanted to let my fellow friends on this thread that I got in !! finally...

I do have a couple questions though:

Can anyone elaborate on the job specifics for a cleaner who is assigned to car equipment and office of the Cmo ? By the way what is Cmo abbreviated for ? Also, I heard you can earn vacation time for the 1st year... how do you do that and much vaca can you earn ?

How much waiting week/s before our 1st paycheck ?

Any input/tips for probation time will also be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance :)

You'll earn one day of vacation for every month you work in the first year, but not to exceed ten days. After your first year you'll get two weeks vacation, which is still ten days but that's how they have it worded. Once you make it to your third year you'll reach top pay and earn four weeks vacation. After fifteen years you get five weeks vacation. And you'll be cleaning cars at terminal stations. They're slowing merging car equipment into stations department, so that's why you were assigned there. But when the pick comes up you can more than likely leave from there if you don't like it. And the amount of time you have to wait for your first check all depends on when you start work. When I started it was in the second week of the pay period so I got my first check the following week after starting (1 week) . However If they start you at the beginning of the pay period you'll have to wait three weeks for your first pay check. Good luck and congratulations on getting in, make it through the first year clean and you pretty much got a guaranteed job. And hopefully it won't be too long til they bring back the rest of the laid off agents so you can get called for the title you tested for.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just wanted to touch base with everyone on here... It's now my 7th day of training and we had "track safety" today. Guess it's assume that we should know and meet basic safety criteria for our individual knowledge. With that being said, does anyone know what other promotional exams that we may be eligible for right now and if so, what are they ? Thx :P

Hello all,

Just wanted to touch base with everyone on here... It's now my 7th day of training and we had "track safety" today. Guess it's assume that we should know and meet basic safety criteria for our individual knowledge. With that being said, does anyone know what other promotional exams that we may be eligible for right now and if so, what are they ? Thx :P

Well right now since you're a probie you aren't eligible for any promo exams until you complete your first year. And as a CTA the only titles you're eligible to promote to are Station Supervisor and Conductor. Any other exams you'll have to take them O/C, which means upon taking the new position you have to resign the old one and take starting pay for the new one. So if you're @ top pay for CTA which is currently $25.89 and promote to C/R, you'll have to start at $19.xx. When you get called for S/A you can promote to C/R, Station Supervisor or ATD( But they are fazing this title out) and also with the transit certificate course you can also promote to T/O. I believe you can do this as a CTA as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have a question.

Today, we finished all classes at the academy, and the yard training will start tomorrow night. Today at lunch time, we took pictures together in our uniforms. Are we allowed to put that photos on our FACEBOOK? I read our rule-book but it doesn't mention anything regarding to that subject. Thank you in advance.

I have a question.

Today, we finished all classes at the academy, and the yard training will start tomorrow night. Today at lunch time, we took pictures together in our uniforms. Are we allowed to put that photos on our FACEBOOK? I read our rule-book but it doesn't mention anything regarding to that subject. Thank you in advance.

There's no specific rule about posting pix of you in uniform on Facebook like with nypd.

Hey Guys,

I've been hearing that they are trying to get rid of the Station Agent position all together. Is this even possible ? Will they cut down the # of positions to become available ? Any insights much appreciated... By the way MTA boots are really harsh on your feet !!

Hey Guys,

I've been hearing that they are trying to get rid of the Station Agent position all together. Is this even possible ? Will they cut down the # of positions to become available ? Any insights much appreciated... By the way MTA boots are really harsh on your feet !!

This is something they want to do, but haven't found a way to as of yet. Years ago the MTA promised that there would always be a human presence on ever station 24 hours a day, let's see how long they live up to that promise. If the MTA had it their way they'd automate every job.

By the way MTA boots are really harsh on your feet !!

They are! I suggest going to your local Walgreens/Walmart/CVS/etc that has the Dr Sholl's custom orthotics machine. It tests where you most put pressure on your feet. They cost $49.99 but are incredible. After the first day wearing them the pain was considerably lessened. By the 3rd day the boots no longer hurt. Plus these are way cheaper than orthotics from a podiatrist, yet they do the same thing. I've got a set in my transit boots and a set to use between my other shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a station in Brooklyn for cleaning. I'm working as an extra. I go to different station everyday. I didn't find any garbage bags in a CTA room. when I try to call CTA office, a station agent told me to go to next station to get garbage bags. Is this what other cleaners do? Or should I have called the CTA desk to inform them the station didn't have any garbage bags ?

i think you call the field office and let them know. Some cleaners just go get it. But since you are extra, many cleaners carry garbage bags in their backpacks. You are extra, let the 5 day cleaners get bags. This happens everywhere. Let them do their jobs. They probably carry bags with them. you'll see...good luck

Why veteran CTA workers don't work very hard ?

What all they are doing is that changing garbage bags and scrapping visible garbage in the station. That's all they do all day. Nothing more. Nothing less.

They never remove graffiti.

They never mop drag-marks on the floor.

They never disinfect turnstiles.

They never dust on top of MVM.

They never disinfect urine areas.

They never do anything that we rookies were told to do.

Should we be lazy like them ?

Are they considered doing good jobs ?

Or, is there reasons that they behave like that ?

I'm little confused.

They all tell me that I work too hard.

:(:(:(

I know a bunch of people who took station agent years ago and they were recently offered station cleaner positions, even though they were on the list for station agent. You should take the cleaner position just to get your foot in the door if they were to offer it to you.

I know a bunch of people who took station agent years ago and they were recently offered station cleaner positions, even though they were on the list for station agent. You should take the cleaner position just to get your foot in the door if they were to offer it to you.

That's exactly what this person did.

Why veteran CTA workers don't work very hard ?

What all they are doing is that changing garbage bags and scrapping visible garbage in the station. That's all they do all day. Nothing more. Nothing less.

They never remove graffiti.

They never mop drag-marks on the floor.

They never disinfect turnstiles.

They never dust on top of MVM.

They never disinfect urine areas.

They never do anything that we rookies were told to do.

Should we be lazy like them ?

Are they considered doing good jobs ?

Or, is there reasons that they behave like that ?

I'm little confused.

They all tell me that I work too hard.

B):(B)

And they do it because they can. Some stations aren't high on the priority list by stations department. Veteran cta's know this and pick their jobs according to that. Example I was working Mosholu Pkwy and the CTa there has 23 years and was working OT. The supervisor called to pull him to 149th-grand concorse and he called OSAC to leave sick. Since he was doing OT no G2 had to be left and he doesn't have to bring in any sick forms for the bang out. I remember a cleaner one put too much bleach down in the urine areas and customers were complaining because they couldn't breath. Just finish your 1 year probation and you too can ease up on some of the rules. But as of now do your job to a T, because you can be let go at the drop of a dime.

Archived