Horrible Weekday Service on the B46

Q33toLaGuardia

That likely will not happen.

Good luck with that one! Utica is a parking lot!

B44 SBS is definitely needed. Utica Av is a parking lot!

I haven't ever heard any complaints because regular riders know what to expect! The traffic on Utica is the root cause of the problems. Not the MTA. That's why they have the short turns. SBS is not possible the way we know it now. The only thing that will help Utica is a subway or off-board payment. ASI have said plenty of times, I have taken the B46, and traffic it its biggest issue. Any dedicated bus lanes will cut the parking severely, so that won't work either!

Let those ppl park elsewhere!!!!! Or have an elevated guideway on utica and let B46 use the guideway.

buddy I think you meant B46 needs SBS . B44 operates on nostrand NOT utica

Kid you're just not getting it...

The B46 can't get SBS AT ALL!!! Between Broadway & Fulton St (Malcolm X Bl segment) and between Fulton St & St. Johns Pl (Utica Av segment) its literally 1 driving lane and 1 parking lane in each direction. There's absolutely no room for a bus lane. And between St. John's Pl & East NY Av/Empire Bl, its a traffic nightmare...think of crosstown traffic in Manhattan in the dead middle of rush hour. Once the buses get to East NY Av/Empire Bl, that's where they start to bunch up (sometimes like 4-5 in a row) so a lot of them short turn at Eastern Pkwy. SBS on the B46 is only gonna add to the problem tenfold.

As for it terminating at DeKalb Av, they are not gonna do that at all. The (J) doesn't have any elevators at any of the stations except at Flushing Av (Woodhull Hospital) and at Marcy Av (major transfer point). Broadway & Myrtle is a major tranfer point for B46, B47, & B54 buses

I just learned from Greg Mocker's video, Flushing Av elevator is out of service until next week.

Disables and seniors need the bus because they cannot climb up stairs or frozen escalator (turn off escalator).

When I went to Bus Rodeo (forgot what year), I took B46 from Utica Av (A) Station and three B46s, 3 of them were LTD came at same time.

I just learned from Greg Mocker's video, Flushing Av elevator is out of service until next week.

Disables and seniors need the bus because they cannot climb up stairs or frozen escalator (turn off escalator).

When I went to Bus Rodeo (forgot what year), I took B46 from Utica Av (A) Station and three B46s, 3 of them were LTD came at same time.

I dont know why they run fast when I use em???

buddy I think you meant B46 needs SBS . B44 operates on nostrand NOT utica

No, because Utica is not ideal for SBS, Nostrand is the next best immediate option.

Let those ppl park elsewhere!!!!! Or have an elevated guideway on utica and let B46 use the guideway.

There is nowhere else to park!

Kid you're just not getting it...

The B46 can't get SBS AT ALL!!! Between Broadway & Fulton St (Malcolm X Bl segment) and between Fulton St & St. Johns Pl (Utica Av segment) its literally 1 driving lane and 1 parking lane in each direction. There's absolutely no room for a bus lane. And between St. John's Pl & East NY Av/Empire Bl, its a traffic nightmare...think of crosstown traffic in Manhattan in the dead middle of rush hour. Once the buses get to East NY Av/Empire Bl, that's where they start to bunch up (sometimes like 4-5 in a row) so a lot of them short turn at Eastern Pkwy. SBS on the B46 is only gonna add to the problem tenfold.

As for it terminating at DeKalb Av, they are not gonna do that at all. The (J) doesn't have any elevators at any of the stations except at Flushing Av (Woodhull Hospital) and at Marcy Av (major transfer point). Broadway & Myrtle is a major tranfer point for B46, B47, & B54 buses

I guess we have to say this every 3 months! People just have no concept of what Utica Avenue looks like. It is absolutely impossible to have full scale SBS on Utica Avenue without making an already bad situation worse! The whole elevated thing keeps coming up as well, but people fail to realize that no one on Utica would want one because it would block out the sunlight, and it would be extremely hard to construct the line in some parts. They would have to close lanes to build sections, and that will cause major headaches!

I guess we have to say this every 3 months! People just have no concept of what Utica Avenue looks like. It is absolutely impossible to have full scale SBS on Utica Avenue without making an already bad situation worse! The whole elevated thing keeps coming up as well, but people fail to realize that no one on Utica would want one because it would block out the sunlight, and it would be extremely hard to construct the line in some parts. They would have to close lanes to build sections, and that will cause major headaches!

Lol what lanes?

Besides, I can stand on Malcolm X & maybe Jefferson Av with my back on one building and throw a hndball up to maybe the 3rd floor across Malcolm X...that's how close it is

Lol what lanes?

Besides, I can stand on Malcolm X & maybe Jefferson Av with my back on one building and throw a hndball up to maybe the 3rd floor across Malcolm X...that's how close it is

lol! That's what I'm saying! There isn't any room for an El along a good portion of the line. Some may argue the same for Broadway in Brooklyn, but that line was built 100 years ago!

For the 1 Millionth time! Only a Subway will truly help Utica! I don't see what's so hard for people to understand about that FP!:confused:

lol! That's what I'm saying! There isn't any room for an El along a good portion of the line. Some may argue the same for Broadway in Brooklyn, but that line was built 100 years ago!

For the 1 Millionth time! Only a Subway will truly help Utica! I don't see what's so hard for people to understand about that FP!:confused:

really ok then if a subway is doable it should be looked into and done. Utica might do better with a subway line that was crosstown like the G. Well Let me hear ur idea first. Cause the BRT busways idea doesn't work on narrow streets like utica its better beside highways and such. My original idea did not include a guideway for utica as I didn't think it was that bad I haven't had mad problems with B46 LTD at all.

really ok then if a subway is doable it should be looked into and done. Utica might do better with a subway line that was crosstown like the G. Well Let me hear ur idea first. Cause the BRT busways idea doesn't work on narrow streets like utica its better beside highways and such. My original idea did not include a guideway for utica as I didn't think it was that bad I haven't had mad problems with B46 LTD at all.

I posted this elaborate plan for a subway along the line in 2008. Shortly thereafter, MTA publicized a plan that was about 80% the same as mine.

Problem? Funding!

I'll dig up the post and link it.

What about making Macolm X Ave aka Reid Ave for old schooler like me, a bus only street between Fulton and Dekalb? I am not saying it make wide it enough to create SBS but at least bus service might be faster.

That can happen for quite a few reasons...

1. The next streets to the east & west of Reid (Patchen & Stuyvesan Avs respectively) both start at Broadway & end at Fulton St. Having Reid a bus-only street would mean more traffic on those 2 streets (espically on Pathen Av since its a 2-way street). Also, it would sorta tie up traffic on Fulton St as cars try to turn on and off the street to avoid Reid

2. There's quite a few schools that line Reid Av and most of the entrances actually face Reid. Having that street a bus-only street would tie up the school buses there since they wouldn't be allowed on the street

3. The NIMBYS in Stuyvesant Heights (from about Decatur St down to Fulton St would go nuts with all that extra traffic going down their blocks and less parking spaces for them since you can't park on Reid

itheres more but that's all I can think of now

I posted this elaborate plan for a subway along the line in 2008. Shortly thereafter, MTA publicized a plan that was about 80% the same as mine.

Problem? Funding!

I'll dig up the post and link it.

Good idea. While you're at it you can link it with the long ago IND Second System (subway I know) which shows that the problems on Reid-Utica avenues are not new. As someone posted earlier the segment between Broadway to Fulton St is narrow enough to (piss across) play handball on.

what is with this guy QJT & his orgasmic repetition of some goddamn guideways.... jesus christ, I thought you were done with NYC....

....and anyone advocating SBS for the B46 needs to take a reallll good hard look at how the traffic (and lane situation) is along Utica av & Malcolm X blvd..... damn the google maps, mapquest, all that.... Go out there and take a look with yer (yes, yer) own two ojos', and if you had an ounce of sense, you'd come to realize that SBS on the B46 would be nothin short of a FAIL.......

and don't bring up no "well, you can remove one lane of parking on malcolm x"... or as some other goof (not on here) brought up "they can start B46 SBS on eastern parkway & run em down to kings plaza".....

^^ yeah, b/c that's just what we need, even LESS service north of Dekalb.....

I'd give dap to everyone that I could that I agree with in here, but I'm all out at the moment....

what is with this guy QJT & his orgasmic repetition of some goddamn guideways.... jesus christ, I thought you were done with NYC....

....and anyone advocating SBS for the B46 needs to take a reallll good hard look at how the traffic (and lane situation) is along Utica av & Malcolm X blvd..... damn the google maps, mapquest, all that.... Go out there and take a look with yer (yes, yer) own two ojos', and if you had an ounce of sense, you'd come to realize that SBS on the B46 would be nothin short of a FAIL.......

and don't bring up no "well, you can remove one lane of parking on malcolm x"... or as some other goof (not on here) brought up "they can start B46 SBS on eastern parkway & run em down to kings plaza".....

^^ yeah, b/c that's just what we need, even LESS service north of Dekalb.....

I'd give dap to everyone that I could that I agree with in here, but I'm all out at the moment....

Couldn't they at least put POP (proof-of-payment) on the B46 limited?

Even if the buses still get caught in traffic, at least you save time by not having eveerybody dip in a MetroCard (and that time adds up when you consider that it often causes buses to miss traffic lights in addition to the delay of the people actually dipping in the cards)

Couldn't they at least put POP (proof-of-payment) on the B46 limited?

Even if the buses still get caught in traffic, at least you save time by not having eveerybody dip in a MetroCard (and that time adds up when you consider that it often causes buses to miss traffic lights in addition to the delay of the people actually dipping in the cards)

My sentiments exactly. Why not run a semi version of SBS service? Let folks pay before boarding to speed up the buses and I would also add signal priority.

SBS = artics + POP.....

I'm not against POP.... so I don't see what that had to do w/ what I'm sayin about SBS on the 46, Checkmate.....

The idea of simply implementing POP on our buses should be said/proposed for any route in the system, not just the B46.... regardless if the route has a LTD counterpart or not....

SBS = artics + POP.....

I'm not against POP.... so I don't see what that had to do w/ what I'm sayin about SBS on the 46, Checkmate.....

The idea of simply implementing POP on our buses should be said/proposed for any route in the system, not just the B46.... regardless if the route has a LTD counterpart or not....

True, but there's only so much money to go around and the most plagued bus routes should be looked at first.

I think we've drifted away from the OP's complaint which concerned the frequency of the Bridge Plaza buses compared to the DeKalb Ave destination. Obviously other people have noticed the same thing but no one has given a reason for why this is happening. IDK anyone who works the B46 so I can't answer the question directly. What I'm guessing is that there is a surface dispatcher in the field who is making that call, WBP or DeKalb, probably due to time and relief constraints. I used to see dispatchers at Utica Ave-Eastern Parkway but that is a long way from Bridge Plaza or DeKalb to make that call. Perhaps a B/O on the forums could shed more light on surface operations. I will point out that traffic from President St and Utica avenue northbound to either destination is a daily crapshoot because of traffic conditions. Even if people paid before boarding it wouldn't speed things up much because traffic is basically single file in either direction from DeKalb to President St with no real opportunity for buses to pass each other or the double parked commercial deliveries between those points. Carry on.

I think we've drifted away from the OP's complaint which concerned the frequency of the Bridge Plaza buses compared to the DeKalb Ave destination. Obviously other people have noticed the same thing but no one has given a reason for why this is happening. IDK anyone who works the B46 so I can't answer the question directly. What I'm guessing is that there is a surface dispatcher in the field who is making that call, WBP or DeKalb, probably due to time and relief constraints. I used to see dispatchers at Utica Ave-Eastern Parkway but that is a long way from Bridge Plaza or DeKalb to make that call. Perhaps a B/O on the forums could shed more light on surface operations. I will point out that traffic from President St and Utica avenue northbound to either destination is a daily crapshoot because of traffic conditions. Even if people paid before boarding it wouldn't speed things up much because traffic is basically single file in either direction from DeKalb to President St with no real opportunity for buses to pass each other or the double parked commercial deliveries between those points. Carry on.

I only see those dispatchers checkin up on the B14 & the B17 over there....

I only see those dispatchers checkin up on the B14 & the B17 over there....

You're probably right about that. I've seen 2 of them on the B14-B17 side around 2pm although sometimes one of them is downstairs in the subway dispatchers office shooting the breeze with us RTO people. If you are right though that means there's got to be someone between Fulton St (?) and DeKalb making that call, right ? I don't think the B/Os are doing it (short turns)on their own.

The deal is that the MTA is only running buses for paid passengers. Eastern Parkway to Fillmore Avenue is where the action is at. Running shorter sectors for each bus allows a schedule to be maintained. I would reduce the number of buses "on the schedule" and introduce longer recovery times at the terminals or headway based scheduling. I would also extend the B46 to Fort Tilden.

The deal is that the MTA is only running buses for paid passengers. Eastern Parkway to Fillmore Avenue is where the action is at. Running shorter sectors for each bus allows a schedule to be maintained. I would reduce the number of buses "on the schedule" and introduce longer recovery times at the terminals or headway based scheduling. I would also extend the B46 to Fort Tilden.

From Fort Tilden to where ? Certainly not Bridge Plaza I hope. That's one hell of a trip.

Say what? :confused:

Archived