Horrible Weekday Service on the B46

Q33toLaGuardia

The deal is that the MTA is only running buses for paid passengers. Eastern Parkway to Fillmore Avenue is where the action is at. Running shorter sectors for each bus allows a schedule to be maintained. I would reduce the number of buses "on the schedule" and introduce longer recovery times at the terminals or headway based scheduling. I would also extend the B46 to Fort Tilden.

ERR the Q35 runs for a reason!!!! The Q35 does NOT run like shit so that is not even nessesary are ya trying to kill the Q35 purpose and make B46 suck more???:cool:

Yeah as it that would happen unless there was a zone fare system most extensions won't work especially if they duplicate other rtes. In short extend B46 TO fort tilden= EPIC FAIL:cool:

Couldn't they at least put POP (proof-of-payment) on the B46 limited?

Even if the buses still get caught in traffic, at least you save time by not having eveerybody dip in a MetroCard (and that time adds up when you consider that it often causes buses to miss traffic lights in addition to the delay of the people actually dipping in the cards)

That is a great idea, People dont pay any way, so why waste the time to allow them to dip ones or twice an empty MC that they just picked up from the street and make it look like they just bought it with the 20 $ they had in their pocket :P

If MTA bosses would wake up and get cops to patrol buses and issue tickets to non paying customers, there would be no financial crisis, cops would cover their salary with in 10 minutes of their ticket writing time, and bring big bucks to MTA. and if they will make it random, people will not know where they are coming from and going to, so they will pay no matter what line they take.

Good idea. While you're at it you can link it with the long ago IND Second System (subway I know) which shows that the problems on Reid-Utica avenues are not new. As someone posted earlier the segment between Broadway to Fulton St is narrow enough to (piss across) play handball on.

This is one of the posts. I have to find the others as well to get a full idea. The (T) was the Utica Av. line.

IND Second System

what is with this guy QJT & his orgasmic repetition of some goddamn guideways.... jesus christ, I thought you were done with NYC....

....and anyone advocating SBS for the B46 needs to take a reallll good hard look at how the traffic (and lane situation) is along Utica av & Malcolm X blvd..... damn the google maps, mapquest, all that.... Go out there and take a look with yer (yes, yer) own two ojos', and if you had an ounce of sense, you'd come to realize that SBS on the B46 would be nothin short of a FAIL.......

and don't bring up no "well, you can remove one lane of parking on malcolm x"... or as some other goof (not on here) brought up "they can start B46 SBS on eastern parkway & run em down to kings plaza".....

^^ yeah, b/c that's just what we need, even LESS service north of Dekalb.....

I'd give dap to everyone that I could that I agree with in here, but I'm all out at the moment....

That's the main issue. You have countless people who have commented on the Utica Av. situation over the years, yet they have never been anywhere near the line. Some have, but not the whole route. So because of the portion(s) they traveled along, they think an EL or SBS are possible.

Couldn't they at least put POP (proof-of-payment) on the B46 limited?

Even if the buses still get caught in traffic, at least you save time by not having eveerybody dip in a MetroCard (and that time adds up when you consider that it often causes buses to miss traffic lights in addition to the delay of the people actually dipping in the cards)

B46 is #1 for fare-beating. If POP were implemented, the farebox revenue would be dramatically reduced on the route. I don't care how many officers you put on the line, there will never be enough to effectively monitor a route that moves 16 million people a year through the sections of Brooklyn the B46 route does. That's an overall average of about 255 riders every 60 minutes!

I think we've drifted away from the OP's complaint which concerned the frequency of the Bridge Plaza buses compared to the DeKalb Ave destination. Obviously other people have noticed the same thing but no one has given a reason for why this is happening. IDK anyone who works the B46 so I can't answer the question directly. What I'm guessing is that there is a surface dispatcher in the field who is making that call, WBP or DeKalb, probably due to time and relief constraints. I used to see dispatchers at Utica Ave-Eastern Parkway but that is a long way from Bridge Plaza or DeKalb to make that call. Perhaps a B/O on the forums could shed more light on surface operations. I will point out that traffic from President St and Utica avenue northbound to either destination is a daily crapshoot because of traffic conditions. Even if people paid before boarding it wouldn't speed things up much because traffic is basically single file in either direction from DeKalb to President St with no real opportunity for buses to pass each other or the double parked commercial deliveries between those points. Carry on.

Azumah touched on a bit of it, but I believe MTA implemented all those short turns to boost service along the southern portion of the route. Because the rush B46 trips can get really long, and severily delayed by traffic, this is a good way to cut down on that. I've only been on that bus north of Fulton St. a total of maybe 7-8 times.

So I can see why they rationalize the Dekalb short turns. It does help out a bit, but not much.....

This is one of the posts. I have to find the others as well to get a full idea. The (T) was the Utica Av. line.

IND Second System

That's the main issue. You have countless people who have commented on the Utica Av. situation over the years, yet they have never been anywhere near the line. Some have, but not the whole route. So because of the portion(s) they traveled along, they think an EL or SBS are possible.

B46 is #1 for fare-beating. If POP were implemented, the farebox revenue would be dramatically reduced on the route. I don't care how many officers you put on the line, there will never be enough to effectively monitor a route that moves 16 million people a year through the sections of Brooklyn the B46 route does. That's an overall average of about 255 riders every 60 minutes!

Azumah touched on a bit of it, but I believe MTA implemented all those short turns to boost service along the southern portion of the route. Because the rush B46 trips can get really long, and severily delayed by traffic, this is a good way to cut down on that. I've only been on that bus north of Fulton St. a total of maybe 7-8 times.

So I can see why they rationalize the Dekalb short turns. It does help out a bit, but not much.....

interesting this idea B90 Limited Coney Island/Dntwn Bklyn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if similar to some of my rapid rte ideas. How would you implement it???? to keep it out of traffic.

I think we've drifted away from the OP's complaint which concerned the frequency of the Bridge Plaza buses compared to the DeKalb Ave destination. Obviously other people have noticed the same thing but no one has given a reason for why this is happening. IDK anyone who works the B46 so I can't answer the question directly. What I'm guessing is that there is a surface dispatcher in the field who is making that call, WBP or DeKalb, probably due to time and relief constraints. I used to see dispatchers at Utica Ave-Eastern Parkway but that is a long way from Bridge Plaza or DeKalb to make that call. Perhaps a B/O on the forums could shed more light on surface operations. I will point out that traffic from President St and Utica avenue northbound to either destination is a daily crapshoot because of traffic conditions. Even if people paid before boarding it wouldn't speed things up much because traffic is basically single file in either direction from DeKalb to President St with no real opportunity for buses to pass each other or the double parked commercial deliveries between those points. Carry on.

There are dedicated bus lanes between Carroll St and Eastern Pkwy in both directions. They're in use during rush hours and are enforced............

ERR the Q35 runs for a reason!!!! The Q35 does NOT run like shit so that is not even nessesary are ya trying to kill the Q35 purpose and make B46 suck more???:cool:

Yeah as it that would happen unless there was a zone fare system most extensions won't work especially if they duplicate other rtes. In short extend B46 TO fort tilden= EPIC FAIL:cool:

Your homework assignment is to observe the reliability of the Q35 during the evening rush hour and report back. Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about. There is more to access for the Rockaways than the 2/5 train. There are a significant number of people employed for the Federal government that work at Floyd Bennett Field and the surrounding nature preserve that would find LTD B46 service every 20-30 minutes useful. The potential regional connections are numerous. I would not implement such a service right away, but I would do it at some point in the future. There is federal funding currently available to provide transit service to national parks.

During rush hours, I would run the following:

LTD Kings Plaza - Bridge Plaza every 10 minutes

LTD Kings Plaza - DeKalb Avenue every 5 minutes

Kings Plaza - DeKalb Avenue every 4 minutes

Kings Highway - Eastern Parkway Station every 4 minutes

Your homework assignment is to observe the reliability of the Q35 during the evening rush hour and report back. Clearly, you don't know what you are talking about. There is more to access for the Rockaways than the 2/5 train. There are a significant number of people employed for the Federal government that work at Floyd Bennett Field and the surrounding nature preserve that would find LTD B46 service every 20-30 minutes useful. The potential regional connections are numerous. I would not implement such a service right away, but I would do it at some point in the future. There is federal funding currently available to provide transit service to national parks.

During rush hours, I would run the following:

LTD Kings Plaza - Bridge Plaza every 10 minutes

LTD Kings Plaza - DeKalb Avenue every 5 minutes

Kings Plaza - DeKalb Avenue every 4 minutes

Kings Highway - Eastern Parkway Station every 4 minutes

OK then lets extend B2 to fort tilden instead as its a shorter route DONE!!!! I haven't had problems with the Q35 buddy I know I used it. O and the Q35 already goes to floyd bennett field and runs every 20 minutes and enhancing the Q35 makes much more sense Again B46 to fort tilden= EPIC FAIL use the Q35 if you don't like it enhance it to improve so called regional connections.

I knew exactly why Joel (Azumah) brought up that mention/idea about Fort Tilden.... it had nothin to do w/ the 2 train, QJT, as the B46 doesn't even serve it... lmao ! The Q35 during certain portions of the day runs very sparse, and it's worse if you're a Brooklyn bound rider.... I can't count the # of times I waited for a Brooklyn bound Q35 @ B 116th, to see incoming buses discharging pax & end up going OOS (out of service) afterwards.....

If it had anything to do w/ the flatbush av subway, he would've mentioned the B41... but sending that to the Rockaways would be 100% redundant....

My only question to Joel though is... how frequent would those B46 ft. tilden routes run?

(note: I'm not in agreement w/ the idea at all.... but I am curious)

I knew exactly why Joel (Azumah) brought up that mention/idea about Fort Tilden.... it had nothin to do w/ the 2 train, QJT, as the B46 doesn't even serve it... lmao ! The Q35 during certain portions of the day runs very sparse, and it's worse if you're a Brooklyn bound rider.... I can't count the # of times I waited for a Brooklyn bound Q35 @ B 116th, to see incoming buses discharging pax & end up going OOS (out of service) afterwards.....

If it had anything to do w/ the flatbush av subway, he would've mentioned the B41... but sending that to the Rockaways would be 100% redundant....

My only question to Joel though is... how frequent would those B46 ft. tilden routes run?

I know hence why Q35 gets enhanced so ppl can make their connection with B46 rather than use a late b46 to there. Its not about the train I am aware of the secondary abilities he is trying to make.

There are dedicated bus lanes between Carroll St and Eastern Pkwy in both directions. They're in use during rush hours and are enforced............

The dedicated bus lanes are actually in effect 7am-7pm, M-F.

Every 20 minutes during rush hour and 30 minutes off-peak (coordinated with the Q35). The Q35 has a lot of problems in the afternoon and at night, which is why they keep trying to get ferries and more express bus service. I've seen numerous people simply hail cabs to Fort Tilden. In addition, Aviator Sports would get more patronage if access was better. The Q35 isn't enough.

Every 20 minutes during rush hour and 30 minutes off-peak (coordinated with the Q35). The Q35 has a lot of problems in the afternoon and at night, which is why they keep trying to get ferries and more express bus service. I've seen numerous people simply hail cabs to Fort Tilden. In addition, Aviator Sports would get more patronage if access was better. The Q35 isn't enough.

then make Q35 more reliable and enhance its service then it would make transfers easier to make. remove its problems. then there will be no need for more express buses. Modify q35 to serve fort tilden directly problem solved

umm, makes sense...

Even though I don't agree w/ sending B46's into Queens, the problems you bring up regarding the Q35 are 100% truth.... being the casual Q35 rider that I am; usually take it anywhere b/w 8-9pm weekdays, when comin off the QM16.... you don't know how tiring (and angered) it makes me having to dash for Q35's along 116th as it's making the turnaround....

I'm 11 for 12 this year in catchin that sucka... I missed it 2 weeks ago, due to my cap flyin off my head as I was runnin.....

the latest I've ever had to wait for a Q35 was around 10:30....

then make Q35 more reliable and enhance its service then it would make transfers easier to make. remove its problems. then there will be no need for more express buses. Modify q35 to serve fort tilden directly problem solved

easier said than done...

lol @ "remove its problems".... if only life were that simple dude....

umm, makes sense...

Even though I don't agree w/ sending B46's into Queens, the problems you bring up regarding the Q35 are 100% truth.... being the casual Q35 rider that I am; usually take it anywhere b/w 8-9pm weekdays, when comin off the QM16.... you don't know how tiring (and angered) it makes me having to dash for Q35's along 116th as it's making the turnaround....

I'm 11 for 12 this year in catchin that sucka... I missed it 2 weeks ago, due to my cap flyin off my head as I was runnin.....

the latest I've ever had to wait for a Q35 was around 10:30....

easier said than done...

lol @ "remove its problems".... if only life were that simple dude....

how would you help the Q35???

There are about 4 or so buses that run from Utica Av/Atlantic Av (Boys & Girls HS, school trippers) to Fillmore Av every time school is session. Most of the time, those same 4 buses catch up to each other by the time it gets ot Eastern Pkwy

can the same thing be done in the BQE??? Or LIE for express buses

Its called a HOV lane for a reason...

The Q35 already stops there.

There are about 4 or so buses that run from Utica Av/Atlantic Av (Boys & Girls HS, school trippers) to Fillmore Av every time school is session. Most of the time, those same 4 buses catch up to each other by the time it gets ot Eastern Pkwy

Its called a HOV lane for a reason...

are they effective???

• 2 months later...

I went through this entire thread, and speaking as an operator on the B46, there's not much you can do regarding SBS. It would only be reliable enough south of Empire Blvd., maybe. The only congestion you'd worry about, in that sector, is approaching Church Ave area, as everything comes to a complete slowdown.

Those B46s that terminate at Eastern Parkway and Kings Highway (Avenue H) can be called shuttles at the least. I ran 'em during the AM shifts in line training, and they help move the bulk of people up to Utica Ave's 3/4 train station, as many discharge at, then some trips we deadhead back to Avenue H, and just keep transporting folks to the station.

As for the original topic, the only reason I can think of why there aren't as many LTD buses going to the bridge is they need to maintain service in the congested part of the B46 route, and that's south of Dekalb Avenue. This is only a thought of reason why the route managers are forming this. Now, now sure if they would help, but the same way they have those rush hour B46 "shuttles", they can do something to help out the northern end with, perhaps B46s running between Eastern Parkway and the bridge, or some other shuttle formation to even the service flow somehow. Or even getting Grand Avenue or East New York Depot(s) to assist with rush hour service, if possible.

If I can find out more information in a few weeks and get a clear answer, I'll report back here with the more official word on how they "try" to maintain service on Utica/Malcolm X/Broadway.

That's understandable but to have people waiting 30 mins for a bus on a weekday??? That's obsurd!!! But then again this is MTA were talking about. I know something can be done about it. Maybe a petition or protest or something. I'm just sick and tired of it is all.

A petition is worthless and a protest is difficult to organize. My suggestion is to get some people together and find an elected official in the area who cares. Jermanne Williams seems to care but not sure what his district is.

Another option is to contact Greg Mocker, but he would only be interested if a number of people or a group contacts him. If you know of a specific time the problem occurs and it can be predicted, then he may come out and witness it with you. Maybe then it would make sense to organize a protest if you can. Give him as much details as you can like how often the bus supposed to come and how often it does show up.

But I can tell you now the MTA's response. They know there is a problem and there is nothing they can do about it. That's why they want to make the corridor SBS in Phase 2. If you think there are things they can do in the meantime, make a list for Mocker to confront them with and demand answers.

That's understandable but to have people waiting 30 mins for a bus on a weekday??? That's obsurd!!! But then again this is MTA were talking about. I know something can be done about it. Maybe a petition or protest or something. I'm just sick and tired of it is all.

A petition is worthless and a protest is difficult to organize. My suggestion is to get some people together and find an elected official in the area who cares. Jermanne Williams seems to care but not sure what his district is.

Another option is to contact Greg Mocker, but he would only be interested if a number of people or a group contacts him. If you know of a specific time the problem occurs and it can be predicted, then he may come out and witness it with you. Maybe then it would make sense to organize a protest if you can. Give him as much details as you can like how often the bus supposed to come and how often it does show up.

But I can tell you now the MTA's response. They know there is a problem and there is nothing they can do about it. That's why they want to make the corridor SBS in Phase 2. If you think there are things they can do in the meantime, make a list for Mocker to confront them with and demand answers.

Archived