New Subway Cars to Be Ordered

Trainspotter

Manhattan: New Subway Cars to Be Ordered

By WILLIAM NEUMAN

July 24, 2007

New York City Transit plans to order 620 new subway cars at a cost of $1.2 billion, officials said yesterday. The purchase was approved by a board committee of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which oversees the transit agency. The cars are to replace older cars that are more prone to break down. The order represents the second phase of a major car contract signed in 2002 with two manufacturers, Kawasaki and Alstom. That contract called for an initial order of 660 cars, the first of which went into service last year. The new order costs about $100 million more than originally budgeted.

Thanks for posting that news. I haven't riden in an R-160 yet but I have heard many different things about it which are both good and bad. Hopefully these cars will be worth it and last a long time (maybe close to 50 years like the R-32's) B)

So far their saying the R160's will take out the R32's R38's R40's R42's and the R44's. The R32's will be here for another 8 years, the others I don't know.

The only good thing about the R160's (yes I have ridden them...twice!) is that their quiet and not so bumpy. Otherwise I'd rather be in a nice awesome R32 with a rail fan window.

The only good thing about the R160's (yes I have ridden them...twice!) is that their quiet and not so bumpy. Otherwise I'd rather be in a nice awesome R32 with a rail fan window.

I agree 100%.

I also agree. Yes I've always hated the fact they took away our window.

Archived