Gunfire on Boardwalk Kills One and Injures 4

MattTrain

Gunfire on Boardwalk Kills One and Injures 4

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR and NOAH ROSENBERG

One person was killed and four others injured during a wild shooting on a packed boardwalk in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, on Thursday afternoon, the police said.

The shooting unfolded on a day when a mini-heat wave and a school holiday sent hordes of people to Coney Island and Brighton Beach, which were teeming with beachgoers — many of them teenagers — trying to escape temperatures approaching 100 degrees.

According to the authorities, a gunman opened fire on the boardwalk near Brighton Sixth Street about 5:20 p.m., gravely wounding a man and a woman; they were taken to Coney Island Hospital, where the woman died. Three other people were also hit by bullets and taken to other hospitals; a man was in serious condition at Lutheran Medical Center. None of the victims’ names were released.

The gunfire set off panic on the boardwalk. Witnesses described throngs of people running and yelling as they scrambled for safety.

“It was pandemonium; everyone was screaming,” said Anastasiya Novikova, 16, who said she heard five shots. She was on the boardwalk with her boyfriend.

Another beachgoer, Saya Suzuki, 30, was about to sit in a boardwalk restaurant with her 6-year-old daughter when the gunfire started. She said she heard at least five shots just outside, then saw a young man and a woman run by her.

“I just picked up my daughter and got away from the bullets,” Ms. Suzuki said. “It happened so quickly, and I had to protect my daughter.”

Terrified, Ms. Suzuki hunkered down and waited for two hours after the shooting before leaving the restaurant.

As of Thursday evening, there were no arrests, and the police said it was unclear what prompted the shooting or whether the victims — who the police said were in their late teens or 20s — were all intended targets.

One of the shots missed a woman who was watching television in her sixth-floor apartment on the corner of Brighton Sixth Street and the boardwalk. The bullet went through a window and lodged in a wall, the woman, Marion Smith, said. She that at first she thought the noise was from her air-conditioner.

“I was sitting on the couch and all of a sudden the noise came out of a clear sky,” she said. “I never dreamt it was a bullet. Never in my whole life.”

Nicole Harris, 23, a security guard at Ms. Smith’s building, at 3161 Brighton Sixth Street, said she was sitting at her desk overlooking Beach Sixth Street when the shooting began.

“You heard five pops in the beginning, and everybody started running,” she said. “I saw a whole bunch of boys coming up in red shirts afterward.” She said she heard that a group of young women had started fighting shortly after the shooting.

Rest of Story here!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh there was chaos on the BMT Brighton.. Heard all this on my radio.. Even a 10yr old kid got stabbed RCC said at Avenue U.. Smfh!!

Plus the IND Rockaway Line was suspended due to catwalkers at Howard Beach early... Trains turned at Lefferts and Euclid.

This is one of the things I HATE about Spring/Summer. CRIME INCREASES.. Idc what the city says about low crime.. My a$$!

Yeah my friends witnessed this. They also witnessed some guy beat up a girl, and someone else beat up someone, and they got arrested by the cops. Good thing this reminds me of a line in Romeo & Juliet.

Benvolio:

I pray thee, good Mercutio, let's retire:

The day is hot, the Capulets abroad,

And, if we meet, we shall not scape a brawl;

For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring.

Wow this really isnt much of a surprise. I hate that area, I wouldnt go to there again if you sent me with armed guards.

Coney Island is still a sh1t hole. Was there last summer with friends and Crip gang memebers were all over the place. They even had the nerve to say something to my friend cause he was wearing a blue bandana on his head and there was trouble down the boardwalk as well.

Too bad they cant all just kill themselves off.

They really need to put some sort of powerful police force on Coney Island. It doesn't matter how much it would cost. Just put 4,000 powerful police officers with machine guns and kiss your problems good bye.

Get real....

They really need to put some sort of powerful police force on Coney Island. It doesn't matter how much it would cost. Just put 4,000 powerful police officers with machine guns and kiss your problems good bye.

LMAO... A better solution would be to eradicate those projects. They have plenty of cops down there believe me, although I still wouldn't venture down there regularly. The last time I was down there I used the X28 to Sea Gate and that area is still a sh*t hole. I felt a bit safer seeing professionals like myself walking around and cops on the beat, but it still has the thugs all over the place making their mark on the territory. I wouldn't go as far as 4,000 strong, as that is overkill, but more police wouldn't hurt in that area.

Get real....

Is it me or is your logo getting bigger by the minute?? lol

LMAO... A better solution would be to eradicate those projects. They have plenty of cops down there believe me, although I still wouldn't venture down there regularly. The last time I was down there I used the X28 to Sea Gate and that area is still a sh*t hole. I felt a bit safer seeing professionals like myself walking around and cops on the beat, but it still has the thugs all over the place making their mark on the territory. I wouldn't go as far as 4,000 strong, as that is overkill, but more police wouldn't hurt in that area.

I thought Sea Gate was a gated community. Or is it just a section of Sea Gate?

I thought Sea Gate was a gated community. Or is it just a section of Sea Gate?

Yes, Sea Gate is a gated community. Doesn't say much though, especially with it surrounded by those projects. I took the X28 going towards Sea Gate, but I got off over by Surf Avenue where it makes the first turn. It was on a Sunday afternoon during the summertime and there is no express bus service to Sheepshead Bay then, so I took the X28 down there and walked over the (Q) and took it a few stops to Sheepshead Bay Rd and then walked to my barber from there and did the same thing on the return trip. I hated the whole transferring thing though because I would usually miss my connection to the X28 from the (Q) train, not to mention that I wasn't wild about getting off over there, so now I just go on Saturdays only and take the BM3 over, this way I don't have to deal w/the subway (since the X27 and X28 don't run on the weekends for now) and it leaves me steps from the barber shop. :cool:

Sometimes I feel like Sea Gate and Coney Island are used interchangably though, but Sea Gate is all the way at the end where Coney Island technically ends. If you go over there (I've only been down there in a car), you'll see the gate and such over by W37th st and Surf.

My 'limit' is where the Cyclone and wonder wheel are. Other than that, I don't go beyond those points in that area. Even on the platform at W8th, I feel a bit worried cuz of the projects near by. Such a shame the Aquarium is nearby...

Never have I ever seen a "thug" at that station. All I have ever seen were well to do looking people. Never felt worried around there either, never less Coney.

Archived