MTA (Maryland) warned: Let photographers shoot

mark1447

A week or so old but here you go:

Christopher Fussell likes to take pictures of trains and buses. The 29-year-old Oregonian has shot photos and video of transit systems all over the United States.

It wasn't until he came to Baltimore, he said Tuesday, that he was detained for committing photography.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland put the Maryland Transit Administration on notice Tuesday that it intends to file suit over the conduct of transit police in ordering Fussell and another photographer to stop taking pictures. The group warned that unless the agency meets a series of conditions by Sept. 1, it will take the MTA to court — where it expects to win.

"Photography is expressive activity that is protected by the First Amendment," said ACLU staff attorney David Rocah. "If you are legally present, you have a right to take photographs."

Continues..:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/commuting/bs-md-mta-aclu-20110531,0,1463758,full.story

Video of the conflict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMr76atjUA&feature=share

...and this is news because?

I get stopped by an MTA worker occasionally because they say it's "illegal" take photos. Happens all across the world.

Because it is news....?

Pretty much I had no idea in Maryland there was a law that prohibited photography. Hopefully that is dropped.. In the future I plan on visiting the city of Baltimore.

That's the thing. It isn't any law. The content of the stop was less about photographing the trains and more about the area he was in (Armory building was half a block away). The few times I have been stopped, the excuse was you can photograph on public property but not MTA property. Back in October. the MTA administrator told me and several other photographers that snapping shots on MTA property was legal.

Now, the MTA police knows it...I hope.

That's the thing. It isn't any law. The content of the stop was less about photographing the trains and more about the area he was in (Armory building was half a block away). The few times I have been stopped, the excuse was you can photograph on public property but not MTA property. Back in October. the MTA administrator told me and several other photographers that snapping shots on MTA property was legal.

Now, the MTA police knows it...I hope.

Isnt MTA Metro/LRT/Bus system public property? As it is used by the public.

I asked the PA cops what they thought about it and they thought it ridiculous aswell. They said if you ask them most of the time they'll let you....

Who the hell wants to ask to take a pic? F*** I look like going up to a PA cop asking "Hey Mr.Cop can I take a pic of this PA5".

Who the hell wants to ask to take a pic? F*** I look like going up to a PA cop asking "Hey Mr.Cop can I take a pic of this PA5".

Well he was very nice about it.....if you ask and tell them its for public use and not private use most of the time they will let you.

Well he was very nice about it.....if you ask and tell them its for public use and not private use most of the time they will let you.

Asking to take a picture of public transportation is stupid. Its not "Private Transportation". Ive seen plenty off people taking pics of PATH with no problem.

Archived