Leaving things the way they are

lilbluefoxie

I present to you a very radical idea for the Subway, its called leaving things the way they are. The current routes have basically been the same for decades, they handle traffic just fine. We are getting a new second avenue line in another 5-6 years to help with things on the east side. Other than that I think that the current routes should stay the way they are. :P

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I present to you a very radical idea for the Subway, its called leaving things the way they are. The current routes have basically been the same for decades, they handle traffic just fine. We are getting a new second avenue line in another 5-6 years to help with things on the east side. Other than that I think that the current routes should stay the way they are. :P

Not all of them do.

For the most part I agree on the subway part except for some service expansions when the fiscal crisis ends. If anything that needs to be changed more are the bus lines particuarly in the outerboros and light rail on a couple of select coordiors to provide 'rapid transit' in the population boom of the outerboros.

. We are getting a new second avenue line in another 5-6 years to help with things on the east side.

Nope. I expect the SAS will be completed by 2030-2045, if at all, if the (MTA)'s economic woes continue.

I agree, but under one condition: restore the subway back to what it was pre-June 2010. :cool:

Aside from that, your post holds water.

I agree, but under one condition: restore the subway back to what it was pre-June 2010. :cool:

Aside from that, your post holds water.

the thing is the orange (M) is more popular than the old brown M and the (V) among riders not necisarily railfans, so i dunno. They could do a (W) from Astoria to Bay Parkway via Broadway and 4th Avenue Locals.

Well we are being truthful here. Broadway and Fourth Avenue lost subway service with the loss of the (W), and the (Mx). A new (W) from Astoria Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway, or somewhere else in South Brooklyn would fill in the gap that was pulled out in 6/2010.

I present to you a very radical idea for the Subway, its called leaving things the way they are. The current routes have basically been the same for decades, they handle traffic just fine. We are getting a new second avenue line in another 5-6 years to help with things on the east side. Other than that I think that the current routes should

stay the way they are. :P

You're right, that is radical :eek:...let's do it

There is truth to some of what you are saying, but you must understand that NOT ALL lines handle traffic "just fine." The (L) is packed to the brim, and there doesn't seem to be a nonradical solution to this problem.

The (M) should stay because more people like it. After all, it would make no sense to revert back to the old brown M configuration with the success that the (MTA) has reported from it. The railfan population may consider this blasphemy, but average commuter > railfan.

If anything were to once again push through the Nassau / Montague St Tunnels to South Brooklyn, it would most likely be an extended (Z) Train. However, They would probably start it at Broadway Junction, rather then Jamaica Center. Jamaica Center to Bay Parkway would be one heck of a trip. On the same token, can Skip-Stop be saved with (Z) Trains going beyond Broad St to 9 Av, Bay Parkway, Kings Highway (Sea Beach) or 95 St? Since the (M) is doing well, they most likely won't change the new routing as well as change the letter again. But an extended (Z) or a reinstated (W) like you guys said (Astoria to Bay Parkway) would help as well.

There is truth to some of what you are saying, but you must understand that NOT ALL lines handle traffic "just fine." The (L) is packed to the brim, and there doesn't seem to be a nonradical solution to this problem.

The (M) should stay because more people like it. After all, it would make no sense to revert back to the old brown M configuration with the success that the (MTA) has reported from it. The railfan population may consider this blasphemy, but average commuter > railfan.

What I mean is theres no big demand for any new routings such as using the now unused express tracks on some of the brooklyn and bronx lines or routing routes to places they dont normally go or ever went. The current routes, while they do have some flaws and capacity issues, as a whole it all works well id say for most of the system.

Some solutions may not even require the subway, for one thing the upscale corridor the (L) serves lacks an express bus route, perhaps if they offered one as an alternative to the (L) and sent it over the Williamsburg Bridge to midtown somewhere, there might be enough people to spring for the extra cost just so they aren't crammed into the (L). If anything, thats more probably than the MTA trying to dig up the entire (L) to add more tracks or trying to dig a tunnel or build another EL in the upscale (L) corridor. (I call the segment from 8th Ave to Halsey St the upscale part as it goes thru much better areas than the part past Halsey)

Well we are being truthful here. Broadway and Fourth Avenue lost subway service with the loss of the (W), and the (Mx). A new (W) from Astoria Ditmars Boulevard to Bay Parkway, or somewhere else in South Brooklyn would fill in the gap that was pulled out in 6/2010.

One aspect of the above idea is that the W-train traveling along the R-line to/from Manhattan does not actually replace the old brown M-train to Nassau Street. The W-line has it existed from Astoria to Whitehall Street as a local was good enough, allowing the N-train to be express. I just happen to like the N-train as an express for as much of its routing as possible, until reaches Queens.

If I could, I'd like to revive the Chambers Street street station with a new rush hours only line that starts at Chambers Street - travels to Brooklyn via the Montague Street tunnel, and is local along 4th Avenue to 36th Street, and then local to Bay Parkway along with the D-train. It is a kind of borrowing of the old Brown R-train and M-train -- but with a new letter - a brown K-train.

Such a scheme would give everyone a little bit of something while being workable. The J/Z routes would remain un-changed. Folks along the Brooklyn 4th Avenue and West End segments regain their extra rush hours local service. The folks who use the current M-train get to keep it. Since this line would be "short" in terns of running time, etc. it would not demand a lot of trains or man-power. Just an idea.

Mike

I don't wanna leave the stations along the Sea Beach line the way they are....

I don't wanna leave the unfinished stations of the reconstruction project along the Brighton line the way they are...

I don't wanna leave the stations along the Concourse line (sans 161st st) the way they are....

But I do agree that these radical suggestions for service changes that some continually suggest, is over the top....

If you built a Nassau Street connection to the SAS, the (T) could then run to Bay Parkway and take over that role in a much-improved way, also helping ease crowding on the (4)/(5) between Atlantic-Pacific and 125th.

If anything were to once again push through the Nassau / Montague St Tunnels to South Brooklyn, it would most likely be an extended (Z) Train. However, They would probably start it at Broadway Junction, rather then Jamaica Center. Jamaica Center to Bay Parkway would be one heck of a trip. On the same token, can Skip-Stop be saved with (Z) Trains going beyond Broad St to 9 Av, Bay Parkway, Kings Highway (Sea Beach) or 95 St? Since the (M) is doing well, they most likely won't change the new routing as well as change the letter again. But an extended (Z) or a reinstated (W) like you guys said (Astoria to Bay Parkway) would help as well.

Thats good but how about both The (J) and (Z) go there Rush Hours the J runs LCL with the (R) to 36th And the Z runs Express Peak Direction only. J trains run to Coney Island or Bay Pkwy, and the Z to 9 av or bay Pkwy as you said.

Heres the change backs I would make even though they are Impossible.

The (A) Exp Late nights.

The (:P Runs All Night.

(C) runs all night.

(G) back to forest hills.

(N) Exp in Manhattan and run Exp 24/7.

<Q> Return.

(R) run all times.

(S) Go thru the tunnel that the Malbone St wreck happened in and run at a Extremly short speed sheesh.

(T) Exist already LOL.

(V) Return.

(W) Return.

(2) Exp late nights.

(3) run to new lots LCL or Exp whatever Idc.

(4) Run Exp late nights.

(5) Run to Bowling green late nights.

(9) Return.

One aspect of the above idea is that the W-train traveling along the R-line to/from Manhattan does not actually replace the old brown M-train to Nassau Street. The W-line has it existed from Astoria to Whitehall Street as a local was good enough, allowing the N-train to be express. I just happen to like the N-train as an express for as much of its routing as possible, until reaches Queens.

If I could, I'd like to revive the Chambers Street street station with a new rush hours only line that starts at Chambers Street - travels to Brooklyn via the Montague Street tunnel, and is local along 4th Avenue to 36th Street, and then local to Bay Parkway along with the D-train. It is a kind of borrowing of the old Brown R-train and M-train -- but with a new letter - a brown K-train.

Such a scheme would give everyone a little bit of something while being workable. The J/Z routes would remain un-changed. Folks along the Brooklyn 4th Avenue and West End segments regain their extra rush hours local service. The folks who use the current M-train get to keep it. Since this line would be "short" in terns of running time, etc. it would not demand a lot of trains or man-power. Just an idea.

Mike

This most likely the past plan to reinstate some sort of Nassau St/ South Brooklyn Service. I love seeing that Diamond Brown <R> on the old map running between Chambers & 95 St, rush hours. The Brown K could indeed work.

Archived