Leaving things the way they are

lilbluefoxie

I always thought they should extend the (Z) down to Bay Parkway Rush hours. It would also make express stops Marcy Avenue-Broadway Junction, only stopping at Myrtle Avenue inbetween. Also, during that time some (D) trains would run West End express (peak direction only).

In the future, I would send the (T) down via Nassau Street, the (J)(Z) would be local & (T) express. I would make the following stops local / express:

-Essex Street: Express

-Bowery: Local

-Canal St: Express

-Chambers St: Express

-Fulton St: Express

-Broad St: Express

During Weekends, all stations would be local, & the (J) would terminate on the SB tracks & (T) on NB tracks @ Chambers Street.

Track map coming soon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nassau Street Line is a small line, and barely needs express service. Plus the only way you can make the (Z) a peak directional express service on the Jamaica Line is to lay down the third track. Plus you aren't really thinking hard enough are you? You are only urban planning and drawing to appease yourself, but not the needs of other people are you? I'm glad I don't do what you are doing, and at least focus on what people demand, and not what I want. That is what is needed to be a good architect, engineer, or a urban planner.

The (M) sees a much heavier passenger demand ever since it ran up Sixth Avenue, and people on the Jamaica, and Canarsie Line enjoys it too, because it gives them an alternative to transferring to the (F) at Essex Street, and if something happened to the (L) they can use the (M).

The (V) was a train line that went from somewhere to nowhere. It starts off at a key location to attract passengers, and that is Queens, but it terminated at Manhattan. It would serve the people that want to go from Queens to Manhattan, but it led nowhere else so it can't be popular to people in Brooklyn, and in other key locations. The (M) solves this problem, because it goes from somewhere, and stops at somewhere.

The (M) sees a much heavier passenger demand ever since it ran up Sixth Avenue, and people on the Jamaica, and Canarsie Line enjoys it too, because it gives them an alternative to transferring to the (F) at Essex Street, and if something happened to the (L) they can use the (M).

The (V) was a train line that went from somewhere to nowhere. It starts off at a key location to attract passengers, and that is Queens, but it terminated at Manhattan. It would serve the people that want to go from Queens to Manhattan, but it led nowhere else so it can't be popular to people in Brooklyn, and in other key locations. The (M) solves this problem, because it goes from somewhere, and stops at somewhere.

Actually this is what the (MTA) should have done in first. I remember in 2001, I attended the meeting on opening of the 63rd Street connector and besides the pleas to keep the (G) on QB line, the other most common suggestion was run the then proposed (V) on the (J)(M) lines.

Thus the (MTA) can be stubborn.

Let's not forget that either the (V) or brown M was going to get eliminated. The (M) survived because people thought it was the older train and stood that way. I don't know how the (V) would have worked going to Metropolitan Avenue. Possibly run the V on 8 car sets I suppose. But what's done is done and people love the new (M) train.

I always thought they should extend the (Z) down to Bay Parkway Rush hours. It would also make express stops Marcy Avenue-Broadway Junction, only stopping at Myrtle Avenue inbetween. Also, during that time some (D) trains would run West End express (peak direction only).

In the future, I would send the (T) down via Nassau Street, the (J)(Z) would be local & (T) express. I would make the following stops local / express:

-Essex Street: Express

-Bowery: Local

-Canal St: Express

-Chambers St: Express

-Fulton St: Express

-Broad St: Express

During Weekends, all stations would be local, & the (J) would terminate on the SB tracks & (T) on NB tracks @ Chambers Street.

Track map coming soon

Hmmm Did you not read about Nassau Service not needed on the West End...

They only kept the M via West End because they "had the money" to do so. Now that they don't have any extra cash they removed it cause ridership was so low. Mmmmk?

How about this?

(W) Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard to Whitehall Street at all times except late nights, rush hours, & weekends. To Bay Parkway rush hours only.

No it would cost $$$ to bring back bay parkway tower/relay operations. I would say 9th Avenue would be better cause I believe Murphy Tower can control that. Also ridership wise I don't think the W would need to go to bay parkway.

You can't really use Ninth Avenue, because the lower level is used to haul garbage.

You can use the upper level, have the trains terminate on teh center track while (D) trains continue, but from what it seems, the (R) is running fine as it is. Its not that long of a wait for the (R):P

Hmmm Did you not read about Nassau Service not needed on the West End...

They only kept the M via West End because they "had the money" to do so. Now that they don't have any extra cash they removed it cause ridership was so low. Mmmmk?

There would be one significant difference between the old (Mx) and (T) on Nassau:

The (T) would give West End and South Brooklyn riders direct access to the SAS. That would relieve overcrowding on the (4)/(5) between Atlantic-Pacific and 125th. The old (Mx) never did that.

I would think South Brooklyn ridership on the (T) would more than warrant having it run through Nassau to Canal 24/7 before going up its regular route on second avenue. Far different than the (Mx).

There would be one significant difference between the old (Mx) and (T) on Nassau:

The (T) would give West End and South Brooklyn riders direct access to the SAS. That would relieve overcrowding on the (4)/(5) between Atlantic-Pacific and 125th. The old (Mx) never did that.

I would think South Brooklyn ridership on the (T) would more than warrant having it run through Nassau to Canal 24/7 before going up its regular route on second avenue. Far different than the (Mx).

Ok, Understand this the MTA didn't even build phase 1. We CAN'T start talking about a 4th avenue connection if and when do they do it I'l be in my 70's or even 90's. Slow Down and do with what you have. I don't see the (T) ever coming to life I think the MTA will just extend the (Q) to 125 and that's it.

But it will be an "extra service". Every South Brooklyn line that has a direct connection to the Montague Tunnel is "spoken for" - i.e. 4th Ave Local (R), Sea Beach (N), West End (D), Brighton Local (Q), Brighton Express (:(. In other words, if the (T) were to be extended over any of those lines, that line will be overserved. It's either that, or cut service on one of the existing lines - (:(, (D), (N), (Q) or (R). You suggest the (T) operate over the West End Line. But the (D) is already there. Having two full-time lines - the (T) and (D) - on the West End Line would be overkill.

And oh BTW, the Bronx is more in need of additional service than Brooklyn, especially the parts of Brooklyn that already has lots of service. I'm sorry it just makes the railfan's heart bleed and ache that the Nassau connector isn't being used anymore and that the West End's express tracks aren't being used (the underlying cause of the issue, not the fact that there isn't a second service on the line).

Oh let me add something... if said (T) were to use Nassau, it would have to be 8 60' cars long, and TA did not have a 480' train in mind as its SAS service. And NO, we are NOT lengthening platforms in lower Manhattan, either.

Did it ever occur to anyone that South Brooklyn does NOT need a connection to Nassau? I remember when the R42's were still on the (M) and I rode the RFW, I was the only one in the car between Bay Parkway to at least Atlantic Avenue! Honestly the MTA cut the Brown (M) BECAUSE No one rode it NOT even on 4th Avenue! I rode it almost every day 3-4 people per car. That's nothing compared to the (M) so Nassau service to south brooklyn is not needed maybe the (W). But from what I see the (D) is fine as is. Hell even south brooklyn is "fine" as is. So if I don't see a new line or old line touching south brooklyn unless the population goes up.

That was then. Now that the Jay St-Metrotech transfer is complete, people cram onto Manhattan-bound R's at Pacific and Dekalb to go there and take the A, C or F.

The (T) should be connected to Culver Line. It seems like the Culver Line needs it more. They can build a connection north of Houston Street so the (T) can share the Rutgers Street Tunnel with the (F). It would eliminate the need to build phase 4 of the Second Avenue Subway.

I know about the 480' issue, but we are a LONG way off from the (T) getting that far down. By the time that happens, I would think they would be lengthening the stations anyway because the entire stretch of Eastern Division stations would be lengthened to accommodate 10-car (or more) trains. That lengthening might have to happen in the next decade or so as parts of Brooklyn continue to become gentrified with longer trains becoming necessary.

Ok, Understand this the MTA didn't even build phase 1. We CAN'T start talking about a 4th avenue connection if and when do they do it I'l be in my 70's or even 90's. Slow Down and do with what you have. I don't see the (T) ever coming to life I think the MTA will just extend the (Q) to 125 and that's it.

Agreed. At this point, before I am long dead if i am still around this earth when it opens, if either the (Q) or a second version of the (W) ran from 125th/2nd on the SAS to connect to the 63rd and Bway lines, that would be great.

Archived