Does Anyone Here Ride Bicycle?

FamousNYLover

In NYC, it's illegal to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk.

This post, although if you are under 12 (I think?), heh you're fine then.

I used to ride bikes, but once introduced to my first car...yeah that never happened again. But due to my LS being a V8, I might reinvest in a bike.

Lol, I used to ride my bike every weekend & after school until I discovered this thing called "MTA New York City Subway" and "Railfanning" :P.

Last weekend I was riding my bike In Forest Park, I found an abandoned bus stop & traffic light intersection. As I was standing there taking pictures, a guy carelessly ran his remote control toy car right over my foot and fractured my toe :mad:.

Now I can't go bike riding for 2-3 Weeks :mad: thanks to that schmuck.

Anyway, most of the time I like to ride on the sidewalk. Children and teens 13 or younger are allowed to ride on the sidewalk, so I have to start learning how to ride my bike in the street more & avoid cars more.

And no, I don't like it when other adult bikers don't follow the rules. What mostly pisses me off is when they are riding on the wrong side of the street or are blocking my path.

I used to ride my bike around a lot but I just outgrew it lol.. i still do once in a while but it's very discouraging as 1) it's tiring as hell now and 2) the gears are all messed up on my bike and im stuck in middle gear

As a cyclist myself I find it totally appalling how you have these people riding their bikes like they are king of the road...the yuppie-friendly BLOOMBERG who creates all these bike lanes and flatters the bicycle gives these douchebags too much ego and give them the feeling that they can just go around and ride however they want and expect everyone else to make way for them...it's already bad enough the pedestrians have to deal with cars and everything

Before you start calling me hypocrite i DO NOT ride on crowded sidewalks or try to shove my way through people or cut off cars across the street which I have seen others done

I had A Trek that I sold due to me already having another but I do ride with my son from time to time and I just bought him a Mongoose...A keeper if you ask me.

I used to really get my Ride on ...from Astoria to Coney Isl' via Manhattan brookly bridge.

I remember riding over the triboro everyday from my school bus job and at night it was challenging ....couldnt see .

When a 2 I think derailed in the bronx ,I trooped over to the bx just to see that.

My favorite stretch to ride was Ocean Pkwy to and from CI

Me, I used to just blaze through lights but in light of more rejected successors to the throne of the road somehow getting licenses, I stop and if there's a car waiting, I let them go. I was riding down Merrick Road Thursday and there's this Mickey D's not too far from a cemetery. I let this nice woman in a Lexus come in and I gave her a smile, then a teenager coming from the drive-thru lane was patient enough to let me go.

I ride my bike. It's a good way to work on your leg muscles and since I want hops for ball, I try to ride it as often as I can. Plus you can see the scenery and the neighborhoods and if you see a good deal along the block, stop and look.

I like to do tours which my friend plans. I did one once where we started at Harlem and rode it all the way to Rockaway Park taking the bike lane from Riverside through the Brooklyn Bridge, through Prospect Park, along Ocean Parkway and then paralleling through the Coney Island neighborhood and going across the Rockaway Bay bridge. Took the (A) back cause that took around 2 hours.

We try not to ride against traffic because there might be a DWI, but we never ride on the sidewalk. All that dog crap and homeless piss, not the smartest idea if you don't want waste on your tires.

I started riding again this year since my university started a Bike Share program (free for 8 hours per rental), but I tend to stay to dedicated bikeways (like the Minuteman from the Alewife station in Cambridge). If I had a bike here, I'd probably go for it since I'm close to all 3 East River bridge crossings. I obey the rules of the road, to answer Yuki's first question. It took a little while to get re-adjusted to them, though.

In NYC, it's illegal to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk.

Tell that to the food delivery guys, once I was walking my dog and this guy

brushed past us at breakneck speed so I threw the bag of s h i t that I was holding at him and almost got him on the head but missed.:mad:

I sometimes ride my bike around my neighborhood. There are some small hills which make it interesting (though it is a pain trying to go back up the hills).

As far as riding on the sidewalk goes, I'll do it when I'm on a busy street (like South Avenue), where cars go flying by and it simply isn't safe to ride, but on the smaller streets, I ride in the street. If there is a really wide sidewalk where there aren't a lot of people, I'll ride there as well.

But I don't ride bikes for transportation, just recreation. None of the stores in my neighborhood have bike racks, so I can't ride to the store to pick up something, and for everything else I either walk or take transit.

Archived