Two years ago today

LRG

The R40 Slants made their final passenger run on the evening of Friday, June 12th, 2009 on the (A) Line:

img_101637.jpg

img_101638.jpg

img_101634.jpg

img_102746.jpg

Credit to Glenn L. Rowe for the first three photos and David-Paul Gerber for the bottom photo!

Thanks, Nice

This should be in the subway photos and Vids thread

These are not my photos, it's a commemorative thread more than a photo thread. The photos are just for accessory.

I remember the slants on the (:) train as a kid when I'd go to Coney Island during the summer. I liked those trains then. They were unique, especially at the time. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. Bring on the new trains and let's try to keep them a bit cleaner (MTA)... :angry:

I remember the slants on the (:) train as a kid when I'd go to Coney Island during the summer. I liked those trains then. They were unique, especially at the time. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. Bring on the new trains and let's try to keep them a bit cleaner (MTA)... :angry:

Not to mention there always the "NYC Transit Musuem" and occaional events when these historic trains are put back in service i.e July 4th weekend, Yankee/Met playoff games, Thanksgiving-X-mas & New Year Holiday season to see & ride them and also take pics of them.

*doesn't miss them*

I'll pretend I didn't see this....

Yeah, they were one of the best out of the other 60' Stainless Steel SMEEs when it came to climate control (awesome A/C) and pretty much operational-wise as a whole.

Sadly their bodies were shot.

Not to mention there always the "NYC Transit Musuem" and occaional events when these historic trains are put back in service i.e July 4th weekend, Yankee/Met playoff games, Thanksgiving-X-mas & New Year Holiday season to see & ride them and also take pics of them.

I hope you realize that the Slants don't run on fan trips...and I don't recall seeing these trains during July 4th either....

I'll pretend I didn't see this....

Yeah, they were one of the best out of the other 60' Stainless Steel SMEEs when it came to climate control (awesome A/C) and pretty much operational-wise as a whole.

Sadly their bodies were shot.

I hope you realize that the Slants don't run on fan trips...and I don't recall seeing these trains during July 4th either....

I meant all of the long lasting NYC subway cars i.e R-1-onwards on special holiday runs. Also did not a couple of slants are in the Transit Musuem?

I last went in 2003.

They were awesome on all the South Brooklyn routes, But the Slants also threw in some spice to Canarsie when they ran on the (L) from time to time. They looked so cool there too. Now the (C), yuck! The (C) looked terrible with Slants !:angry:

While i am not a big fan of the slants (i prefer the R42's and the R46's of my favorite pre-1985 models)they were cool to look at. Now times change and like a change to looking at a 1979 Caddy Seville, it now cool to look at a 2011 Buick. Hey at least we got videos/pics and the transit musuem(I think a couple of models were there)for the memories.

They Ruled The (NX). Brighton-Sea Beach Express. i never saw them in action On The Line but videos and pictures show a thousand words. they ran down the Brighton express like king of the rails. But Now They Sit Silent Under Water Off The Coast Of North Carolina Forming Coral And Collecting Rust. They Where So Unique 2 Cars Together Made The Shape Of A Trapezoid. R.I.P R40

Also did not a couple of slants are in the Transit Musuem?

I last went in 2003.

Occasionally, (more likely when the Arnines are out on a trip/ in the shop), you may find 4280-4281 at the Transit Museum. I recall seeing them last December, when I went. Still had scratchitti on the windows! :mad:

Yes, I remember the day I was on an R40 slant and saw an R160 for the first time of my life going past it.

I didn't know that the R160's would ever take out the R40's!

I rode them on the following lines:

(B)(L)(N)(W)

I rode the R40M on the following lines:

(B)(D)(E)(F)(N)(Q)(Yes, I clearly remember riding one on the (Q))(R)(V)(W)

I always thought the front of the R40 looked ugly, but I always loved that railfan window :cool:.

I know the first train I ever rode was when I was only about 6 hours old, my parents told me I rode an R40 slant on the (L):P.

Archived