Two years ago today

LRG

When I was a little kid, I didn't really like them. Maybe it was because of the dark blue seats of the R40s vs. the bright yellow/orange seats of the R68s (little kids like more colorful things), or maybe it was because of the pantograph gates (though I seemed to like the R32s and R38s even with the gates).

I started liking them around the time I left Brooklyn, in 2004. After that, I didn't really have many chances to ride them. I was sad to see them go because they were very unique cars.

I am still upset they are gone. I have had been riding the R40S, and the R40M for as long as I can remember in my childhood. I rode them on the (:P, (D), and (W). They were good trains. They had a gentle acceleration, and they gave a smooth, soft, comfortable ride. They were one of the train cars that rocked me to sleep when I was a kid. They were special with their large rail fan windows, their slants, their looks. Basically they were cool, and I am still upset they are gone. I actually didn't find out about their fate till 2010. I was really upset about what had happened, and I still am.

I am still upset they are gone. I have had been riding the R40S, and the R40M for as long as I can remember in my childhood. I rode them on the (:P, (D), and (W). They were good trains. They had a gentle acceleration, and they gave a smooth, soft, comfortable ride. They were one of the train cars that rocked me to sleep when I was a kid. They were special with their large rail fan windows, their slants, their looks. Basically they were cool, and I am still upset they are gone. I actually didn't find out about their fate till 2010. I was really upset about what had happened, and I still am.

I must of rode some busted R40M/S's in my life time because they were all rough and somewhat jerky rides. I've ridden them along the (B) and <Q>'s only though.

I must of rode some busted R40M/S's in my life time because they were all rough and somewhat jerky rides. I've ridden them along the (:P and <Q>'s only though.

I found the R40M/S ride to be hit and miss. Some rides were smooth and some of them would buck so much you'd think you were riding in an R42. I remember one time back in 2006 I was on a slant that was bucking so hard it knocked the people that were off guard off their feet. Sure do miss them. :cry:

Me too, 1968 on the F line and then they made their way to the E line. The F line was magenta and the E a lighter blue and the sign fit the whole window. I think both the R40s and R42s design was ruined in the rehab by putting in the short door windows of the R32/38, it just broke the flow of the side of the train.

And in that picture, next to the R1-9, the slant looks ultra modern and more dramatic than an R32 next to an R160.

I'm so old,I remember riding them as a little kid in their early years.

People associate cars often for the lines they first encountered them. For me, the R40 slants are F and E trains though that sounds bizarre for younger riders. They really never seemed right on other lines for awhile so it is interesting to read them associated with the Brighton lines (which I associate with the R32).

The significant things in this car is the first car with the big line color line designation sign placed in the window (coming before the familiar bullet).

Some of them were air-conditioned and some were not and it was confusing to riders whether they would get an air-conditioned car or not. The R38 actually had just a few air-conditioned cars so the R40 wasn't the first type to have this distinction but it had a lot more air-conditioned cars than the R38.

Introduced longer/larger side and door windows and a bit of a knee in the outside steel but still with straight interior walls.

of course, the failure of the slant design and had to be modified into a design that a version was used in the R42, R44, R62 and R68.

As much as I liked riding the slants on the (A) and such, there was one thing about them that wasn't too great: that loud, rumbling sound (was it the motors?). The rumbling noise they made was really overbearing at times.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks LRG. The R40 Slants were innovative and featured a large RFW. I liked them when they ran on the (:) on the West End.

The R40 Slants made their final passenger run on the evening of Friday, June 12th, 2009 on the (A) Line:

img_101637.jpg

img_101638.jpg

img_101634.jpg

img_102746.jpg

Credit to Glenn L. Rowe for the first three photos and David-Paul Gerber for the bottom photo!

I must of rode some busted R40M/S's in my life time because they were all rough and somewhat jerky rides. I've ridden them along the (:( and <Q>'s only though.

The B train must have run the last sets around 2009 because I used to ride them express after I moved to Brighton Beach in 2007. I also miss those jerky rides.. lol... But I will never forget those heated seats in the winter. Damn they were warm!

The B train must have run the last sets around 2009 because I used to ride them express after I moved to Brighton Beach in 2007. I also miss those jerky rides.. lol... But I will never forget those heated seats in the winter. Damn they were warm!

the (A) was the last line to used R40 Slants

Archived