NGs coming to Charleston Depot?

Via Garibaldi 8

Today while waiting for an X10, I saw an S74 pull up at Richmond Road & Narrows Rd South and it was a 44XX. I was rather surprised by this as I thought Charleston couldn't take on any NGs, so does this mean that Charleston will finally be getting some new buses or was that NG just on loan from Yukon or Castleton?

Charleston already has NG's. I rode one on the (S74) from Bricktown to the Ferry

Not already... This change has to be pretty recent because before they had Orions for some time. Does anyone know when they started getting NGs?? When was this that you used the S74?

Not already... This change has to be pretty recent because before they had Orions for some time. Does anyone know when they started getting NGs?? When was this that you used the S74?

2 weeks ago

2 weeks ago

Yeah, that's what I figured. So I guess they must've worked things out so that they finally get some new fleet (or shall I saw relatively new fleet, as those NGs were passed on from Castleton more than likely). I wonder if they will get any NOVAs or if those will go strictly to Castleton...

When Charleston Depot opened for the January 9th pick, the depot was not yet ready for hybrids, something about plug-ins for the hybrid buses, so when the depot opened they used all Orion 5.501s. In April, the plug-ins were ready and 22 hybrids (4431-4452) went from Castleton to Charleston, bumping some Orion 5s to Castleton.

When Charleston Depot opened for the January 9th pick, the depot was not yet ready for hybrids, something about plug-ins for the hybrid buses, so when the depot opened they used all Orion 5.501s. In April, the plug-ins were ready and 22 hybrids (4431-4452) went from Castleton to Charleston, bumping some Orion 5s to Castleton.

Hmm... That's interesting... And it's funny that I'm just seeing one out of Charleston in June. A lot of funny things going on here on Staten Island. Seems like Yukon either trashed or lost all of it's newer buses. Rarely see any of them out on the X1 anymore on the weekends and they really look like they're going to need some new buses, so I guess the (MTA) must've know this, hence why they're getting some of the MCIs that are coming. I think Charleston should get some of those also. They've got some 43XXs, but they have a pretty old fleet of MCIs otherwise. I suppose Meredith could use some as well, but they only need MCIs during the rush hour periods.

i thought 28xx-29xx MCIs are Meredith bcause 1nce i saw 2092 on the X12 and it has a Meredith sticker

Yes, at first Meredith had mainly 28XX and 29XXs, but now some of them that I get on are 20XXs which are a bit older. I'm not wild about those because the seats recline too much, but the X30s that I've been getting to Midtown of late have been 20XXs and they've been okay w/the AC. I've had some terrible AC issues with the 19XXs and 20XXs I'm always crossing my fingers with those buses if it is hot and I see one coming to my stop down Forest Avenue. They're going to be retired soon. It's just a matter of when, but I sure won't miss those. I prefer the 28XXs out of those because the seats reline a bit nicer and aren't as low feeling to the ground. The only thing I hate are the green signage that they have. Pain in the @ss to read if it's really old.

Archived