B61/B62 Thread

Shortline Bus

Just wanted to know what you guys feel about the (B61) and (B62)? As you know the (B61) a very long route was split into '2' different routes in Jan. 2010. Then in June 2010, the (B61) replaced both the old (B75) and (B77) bus to create a through route between Propsect Park West and Downtown Brooklyn.

Should any more changes be made to the (B61) (B62) routes?

- There's nothin more that needs to be done w/ the B61.... it's flourished greatly since the merger... buses are leaving packed out of Downtown Brooklyn, seems like it's increasing ridership everytime I see it....

- The B62 @ Williamsburg Bridge Plaza is an example of "ya get what ya wish for".... I remember folk (myself included) suggesting that the route (back when it was the B61) serve the terminal in some form or fashion.... Now that it does (somewhat), it doesn't really help.... Makes the route that much slower if you ask me, and hardly anyone xfers to/from any of the other buses @ WBP, or the subway....

Other than that, the B62 is good as we're gonna get....

Just wanted to know what you guys feel about the (B61) and (B62)? As you know the (B61) a very long route was split into '2' different routes in Jan. 2010. Then in June 2010, the (B61) replaced both the old (B75) and (B77) bus to create a through route between Propsect Park West and Downtown Brooklyn.

Should any more changes be made to the (B61) (B62) routes?

Nope, they're fine

....which was why I wasn't in favor of the split.... park av ridership's never been strong on the (old) 61.... now it appears to me that usage to/from Queens on the (current) 62 is waning a bit....

So B35 or anyone else? Is it to point that (B62_ slightly using riders on portion between Downtown Brooklyn and Williamsburg Plaza be enough for the (MTA) to consider cutting down on headways?

When I lived briefly in Bushwick in 2004-'05, the old full (B61)rarely was SRO in that area. It was frequently SRO between Red Hook and Jay St and again between the Bedford (L) station and Greenpoint Ave.

So B35 or anyone else? Is it to point that (B62_ slightly using riders on portion between Downtown Brooklyn and Williamsburg Plaza be enough for the (MTA) to consider cutting down on headways?

When I lived briefly in Bushwick in 2004-'05, the old full (B61)rarely was SRO in that area. It was frequently SRO between Red Hook and Jay St and again between the Bedford (L) station and Greenpoint Ave.

Ridership on the B62 is not that bad, to the point where headways should be increased....

FWIW, most the riders that board the route in Queens, do so @ that stop just before it crosses the bridge.... you still have those that board over there by the diner (just past the el (7)) & at the terminal itself.... riders coming from Queens generally don't ride past Broadway (most get off along Manhattan av)....

heading into Queens is where I think B62 ridership is lessening.... the seemingly endless construction along Jackson av isn't helping matters either...

...except that the MTA wants to increase B62 headways.

Ridership on the B62 is not that bad, to the point where headways should be increased....

FWIW, most the riders that board the route in Queens, do so @ that stop just before it crosses the bridge.... you still have those that board over there by the diner (just past the el (7)) & at the terminal itself.... riders coming from Queens generally don't ride past Broadway (most get off along Manhattan av)....

heading into Queens is where I think B62 ridership is lessening.... the seemingly endless construction along Jackson av isn't helping matters either...

The only reason I can see them increasing headways, believe it or not, they kinda bunch going Queens Bound. There have been times I've seen two buses back to back every few minutes within a 30 minute span.

I am not saying I endorse it but I can picture down the road especially if any further budget cuts are needed, that the (MTA) decides to create a 'short turn terminal' at Box St (B43 terminal)for the (B62) and use the bogus argument about the traffic on Jackson and all around the LIC/Queensboro Bridge (woops I mean Ed Koch Queensboro :confused:)area.

And force more riders on the mega shuttle the (G) train.

The only reason I can see them increasing headways, believe it or not, they kinda bunch going Queens Bound. There have been times I've seen two buses back to back every few minutes within a 30 minute span.

I also notice that w/ Queens bound 62's... it's been like that since the days of the old 61...

Maybe Fresh Pond (the member here) notices this since he takes the Q67 over there @ Queens plaza, but the pattern is, two buses arrive @ Qns. Plz. w/i like 2 mins of each other... one goes OOS, and you're left waiting 10-15 mins for the next bus out to Brooklyn....

I am not saying I endorse it but I can picture down the road especially if any further budget cuts are needed, that the (MTA) decides to create a 'short turn terminal' at Box St (B43 terminal)for the (B62) and use the bogus argument about the traffic on Jackson and all around the LIC/Queensboro Bridge (woops I mean Ed Koch Queensboro :confused:)area.

And force more riders on the mega shuttle the (G) train.

I knew that's where you were tryna to go w/ all this....

just say you think B62's should short turn @ Box st & be done with it....

I also notice that w/ Queens bound 62's... it's been like that since the days of the old 61...

Maybe Fresh Pond (the member here) notices this since he takes the Q67 over there @ Queens plaza, but the pattern is, two buses arrive @ Qns. Plz. w/i like 2 mins of each other... one goes OOS, and you're left waiting 10-15 mins for the next bus out to Brooklyn....

That is true, its usually the OOS bus goes around the corner to park, or deadhead back to Downtown Brooklyn. I'm guessing the headway increase is to even out the span of buses going to Queens within the time frame of which bus arrives first/leaves first. A few days back while I was on the Q101 to Manhattan(terrible mistake), I saw 3 B62s arrive in 1 shot....I was like smh.....

They definitely do that. When I get to Queens Plaza (whenever I'm not working late), its usually about 11 pm and about 4 buses pull into the terminal but maybe 1 or 2 actually come back out in service, the others DH to the depot. If I do work late and I do miss my 11:10 Q67, I usually take the B62 to WBP and take the B60 from there.

What I (personally) noticed is that once it leaves Queens Plz, there's barely anyone on it. The 1st batch of people usually get on at Court Sq, and the 2nd batch at 11 St/Jackson Av. Once the bus passes S 7 St, the bulk of the crowd gets off. By the time the bus reaches WBP, its semi-empty, and once it gets to Park Av, its pratically empty

Me personally think the B62 is fine the way it is. It suffers from bunching but most of the streets are narrow

I have not riden the 'new' B62 since it was part of the long mega (B61)route between Red Hook and LIC. Thus not sure if the ridership patterns are the same as it was when it the (B61).

However I do think 'yes' that during rush hours, if the bus is suffering from bunching, it should have 'short trips' start/end at Box St.

Sounds like Greenpoint to Midtown riders that transfer to/from the (7) at Vernon-Jackson Aves

Archived