Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
MattTrain

R142 and R142A

R142 and R142As are great,

But I have some suggestions if they are to be overhauled

1. Remove the strip maps of the (2)(4)(5) and (6) lines

2. Add the FIND Flexible Information Display to replace the strip card maps.

3. Place and buy some more R142As for the (1)(3) and (7) services.

4. A special R142A type train should have 11 car trains for the (7).

The IRT needs more new cars, because the R62A's look worn out sometimes.

And should they be reassigned after overhaul

R142's should run on

(1)(2)(3)

and R142A's be placed on

(4)(5)(6) (6x) (7) and (7x)

and revive the (9)

B)

Wow. That's an ambitious plan you got there. Quite expensive. The (1) will get R142's when the new South Ferry station opens.

Wow. That's an ambitious plan you got there. Quite expensive. The (1) will get R142's when the new South Ferry station opens.

That would be great, for the (1). The (7) was supposed to be using the R142A soon to accommodate the CBTC function. I'm not sure what that stands for I think it's Computer based train control.

That would be great, for the (1). The (7) was supposed to be using the R142A soon to accommodate the CBTC function. I'm not sure what that stands for I think it's Computer based train control.

I have no idea what it stands for either. The (1) would have already had R142's if it was not for the old S. Ferry Station. I bet the (7) won't get them until the MTA orders more A Division cars.

I have no idea what it stands for either. The (1) would have already had R142's if it was not for the old S. Ferry Station. I bet the (7) won't get them until the MTA orders more A Division cars.

Communications

Based

Train

Control

Communications

Based

Train

Control

Thanks for the correction.

By the way, what about One Person Train Control on the (7), good idea or bad idea?

1] 1 2 and 4 is already planned by the MTA.

2]IRT needs new cars??????? How about no!! Those 62As are far from worn out they are the best cars in the A div. Those 142/As are junk they buck and ride like crap. Not to mention they aways break down and have screeching brakes.

3]The (1) will still have the R62A once the new south ferry station opens.

no R142's on the 7, the R62A is the best IRT car

and i always thought the strip maps were a bad idea, they should have just installed the FIND on the R142's to begin with

no R142's on the 7, the R62A is the best IRT car

and i always thought the strip maps were a bad idea, they should have just installed the FIND on the R142's to begin with

Well Most R62A cars look good anyways, and some new devices such as (EXP) and (LCL) are added on top of the End sign as well as the side signs to help tell which (7) is Express or Local.

For the FIND system, that wasn't in the works until 2005.

The Strip maps probably gave clues that whichever line didn't have them, wasn't going to use the R142's and R142a's anytime soon.

But I agree with you on the R142/a's on that one.

Wait, whoa. (1) going to be sticking with R62As. The R62As final days will be on the (1) in about 20-30 years from now when they should be retiring! 240th Street Yard wants to hold on to R62As like how Concourse Yard wants to hold on to its R68s. Unless I missed something, I didn't hear of the (1) getting any R142s.

Thanks for the correction.

By the way, what about One Person Train Control on the (7), good idea or bad idea?

Ah, that's OPTO (One Person Train Operation) - which means the Train Operator also does Conductor's duties - announcements, doors etc. For the (7), bad idea. 11 cars x approx 50 feet = that's a lot of ground to have to be aware of on a very crowded line for OPTO. OPTO is almost always done on shorter consists like the (G) or the (M)ikey weekend Shuttle. Even with CCTV's, it wouldn't make that big of a difference because the geese tend to stand so close to the edge of the platform anyway, blocking a lot of the cameras. Also don't think the conductors in the union would appreciate OPTO on the (7) either.

Also the R62A singles on the (7) have half width cabs, and the Train Operator obviously can't leave the operating cab to open doors on the other side of the train, which would require him to walk to the rear cab of the single, key in, and open/close the doors before returning to his post to continue on to the next station.

Edited by SubwayGuy

the R62A singles on the (7) have half width cabs, and the Train Operator obviously can't leave the operating cab to open doors on the other side of the train, which would require him to walk to the rear cab of the single, key in, and open/close the doors before returning to his post to continue on to the next station.

You're right about the R62A's having half width cabs, I was applying the One person Train Control to the (7) when it uses the R142a's. But it makes sense, you do point out the flaw of having just the train operator controlling the entire function of the (7) train.

It was used briefly on the (L) but was removed due to safety concerns as well.

You're right about the R62A's having half width cabs, I was applying the One person Train Control to the (7) when it uses the R142a's. But it makes sense, you do point out the flaw of having just the train operator controlling the entire function of the (7) train.

It was used briefly on the (L) but was removed due to safety concerns as well.

OPTO on train lengths greater than 300 feet is Against the Contract and you wont see that here, unless the union OK's it, which i doubt you think any T/O in his/her right mind would want to do OPTO on the (7) line?

The Union took it to a judge to get the TA to stop it if not they would have kept on doing it..

Needed to clear that up here..

OPTO on train lengths greater than 300 feet is Against the Contract and you wont see that here, unless the union OK's it, which i doubt you think any T/O in his/her right mind would want to do OPTO on the (7) line?

The Union took it to a judge to get the TA to stop it if not they would have kept on doing it..

Needed to clear that up here..

In my opinion, One person train operation causes safety concerns, and many people only have just one person for help instead of the usual two, (conductor in the middle and the operator at front) Wow, good to know this from a train operator, thanks for that info.B)

The train operator would get a good workout if he has to walk back and forth to open doors and close them, especially if the train is crowded.

I wouldn't want that job.

I think The R142A should go to the (7), The R62A's will go to the (2), The R142's from the (2) will go to the (4) and (6). The R142A's from the westchester yards would send their R142A's to corona and the (2) and (3) will be R62/R62A along with the (1) the 7th ave line will be full of R62 and R62A's This would be perfect because I would always go for an R62A (2) train anytime!!!!

I think The R142A should go to the (7), The R62A's will go to the (2), The R142's from the (2) will go to the (4) and (6). The R142A's from the westchester yards would send their R142A's to corona and the (2) and (3) will be R62/R62A along with the (1) the 7th ave line will be full of R62 and R62A's This would be perfect because I would always go for an R62A (2) train anytime!!!!

The (2) would never go R62A because it's based out of the same yards as the (5) and those routes often share cars especially if there's a GO. So both (2) and (5) will remain R142. If they retrofit some of the R142A cars with CBTC and get CBTC set up on the (7) then you'll probably see R142A's out there which means R62A's back on the (6) again and the R142A's from the (6) out there but that's all speculation because nothing's been done yet really except for some interlocking work on the Flushing that's being done in anticipation of getting the line CBTC ready. But with money what it is these days no telling when it gets done...

The idea of removing the A's and S's from the 4 train is a terrible idea. Do anyone know how well those cars fix up that line? The 4 train currently uses four different fleets at once and it still does not seem to be enough!!!

The 4, 6, and 7 lines would serve well under the R142a and its supplemental fleet.

The 4 train currently uses four different fleets at once and it still does not seem to be enough!!!

You mean 2 main ones (R142/A) with an occasional third during rush hour (R62).

If there's any line that needs the R142s or R142As it's the (7)<7>. It's always a hassle trying to find out whether the train is local or express at those two track stations in the afternoons. The sign on the front of the R62As is usually accurate, but I'm never sure because I've seen a local train or two with the express sign on the front, and vice versa. And the conductor's voice cannot be heard outside the train due to the lack of external speakers. With the R142, it would be programmed in, so unless the crew makes an error it would be easy to tell.

Edited by 7LineFan
Icon where there shouldn't be.

If there's any line that needs the R142s or R142As it's the (7)<7>. It's always a hassle trying to find out whether the train is local or express at those two track stations in the afternoons. The sign on the front of the R62As is usually accurate, but I'm never sure because I've seen a local train or two with the express sign on the front, and vice versa. And the conductor's voice cannot be heard outside the train due to the lack of external speakers. With the R142, it would be programmed in, so unless the crew makes an error it would be easy to tell.

I don't think it would matter because man people don't even bother to listen anyway and then continue to rip on the system for lack of communication even though the conductor was screaming at the top of his lungs whether the train was express or loco.

Some people never learn. (Although I agree 100% with you)

Yeah I know... I see people sticking their head inside the door asking if the train is express or local right after the conductor has just finished saying "Express! Express! Express!" 20 billion times.

It would be less of a problem if there were external speakers like on the R142s or even the R62s (not R62As). Although there would still be the wiseguy who would step onto the train thinking it's an express... only to find out, a minute later, that the train has stopped at 33rd Street, and have the express rush past him two or three stops later.

Yep... on the train home today, saw at least three people asking right after the conductor said "Express" and then leave the train right before he said it again. It's amazing. It's a good thing that the MTA put external speakers on the NTT trains (although some of them on the R160s don't seem to be working)