R142 and R142A

MattTrain

no R142's on the 7, the R62A is the best IRT car

and i always thought the strip maps were a bad idea, they should have just installed the FIND on the R142's to begin with

That is a good idea for the fact that it would allow the lines to interchange the three R142 types (I include the R142S as an independent fleet apart from the R142A).

On the negative side, I feel that it would get awkward. The (4) and (6) are elite right now as they are the only full time R142A/R142S fleets at the moment.

My idea for changing things would allow all of the Seventh Avenue Lines to keep the R62s and the R142, while the Lexington Avenue Lines and the Flushing Line get to keep the R62A and the R142A. The R142S should merge into both of the divisions, with the (4) and the (7) keeping the highest of both fleets.

Can anyone tell that I am a Yankee ((4)) and a Mets ((7)<7>) enthusiast?

I don't think it would matter because man people don't even bother to listen anyway and then continue to rip on the system for lack of communication even though the conductor was screaming at the top of his lungs whether the train was express or loco.

Some people never learn. (Although I agree 100% with you)

That is true. I catch the (5) train at nights that runs for the (4) on the Eastern Parkway Line and terminates at Crown Heights instead of Brooklyn College in Midwood. You would be surprised to see how many make the mistake and get on the Crown-Heights bound (5) express train, although it says clearly where it is going.

Another issue is when the (4) takes on the full Terminus and goes to New Lots Avenue at 6:00PM. The announcements says New Lots Avenue-bound, yet passengers continue to cross over and it isn't until the announcement reads "The next stop is Sutter Av-Rutland Road'' that the poor idiots come crowding back. That is why I always read and listen out for the announcements made by both the train animation and the ones implicated by the conductors themselves.

New Yorkers can be so stupid sometimes. I just feel like slapping the hell out of them at those moments.

Another issue is when the (4) takes on the full Terminus and goes to New Lots Avenue at 6:00PM. The announcements says New Lots Avenue-bound, yet passengers continue to cross over and it isn't until the announcement reads "The next stop is Sutter Av-Rutland Road'' that the poor idiots come crowding back. That is why I always read and listen out for the announcements made by both the train animation and the ones implicated by the conductors themselves.

And that's even with the 142s?

New Yorkers can be so stupid sometimes. I just feel like slapping the hell out of them at those moments.

Agree 100%.

The (7) and <7> should get the new cars considering the confusion between the

(7) local and <7> express. But there's some sort of special lighting on the roll sign such as a circle or diamond display to help riders differentiate between the (7) and <7>. Also there's a LCL display for (7) and EXP for <7> at the end and side signs as well so the conductor doesn't have to yell "local" or "express" like 10 times.

Different fleet of cars would definitely help too.

The (7) and <7> should get the new cars considering the confusion between the

(7) local and <7> express. But there's some sort of special lighting on the roll sign such as a circle or diamond display to help riders differentiate between the (7) and <7>. Also there's a LCL display for (7) and EXP for <7> at the end and side signs as well so the conductor doesn't have to yell "local" or "express" like 10 times.

Different fleet of cars would definitely help too.

As far as I know, those LED markers that you're talking about are only on one train. If they're going to keep the R62As until retirement on the (7)<7>, they should add them to all the cars. Or, like we said, bring the NTTs over (preferably R142S for CTBC capability in the future).

But still, some people never look. Even if there were a 20ft by 40ft sign that says "Express" over the door, people would still be sticking their heads in the door and saying,

"Express or local?"

Those improvements would definitely help most people though.

I think it be nice to see a R-142A or R-142S on the (7)<7>. At least will know the difference b/w express and local instead of the C/R screaming "Express 10x", but I miss though its kind of funny they scream express and yet ppl always ask "express or local". I love New York:D

My favorite part is how all the Hispanic people, and anyone else who understands spanish laugh under their breath if the conductor says it's a "loco" train. :rolleyes:

LOL....now thats funny...but they say the (7)<7> is known as the International Line:D

Not officially, but yes. It's called the International Line and is a National Millennium Trail due to the many distinct culture areas the (7)<7> passes through.

Archived