Staten Island woman wins second lawsuit against MTA

Via Garibaldi 8

"Staten Island woman has settled a personal injury lawsuit with NYC Transit for $300,000, her second settlement with the agency in five years.

According to court papers, Lydia Batson suffered neck injuries in July 2006 during a collision on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge while riding a Manhattan-bound bus.

Her lawyer, Louis Mauriello, tells the Staten Island Advance that the injuries exacerbated a pre-existing condition suffered during another accident in 2003 involving another city bus. He says she filed a personal-injury lawsuit in that case and settled it for about $10,000. He says NYC Transit paid $4,200 and a co-defendant paid the rest.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority declined to comment on the latest settlement."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/staten_island/staten_island_woman_settles_lawsuit_HmFwI6szLOGltJG3ViBZ8I#ixzz1PC8GE977

Third time is a charm... I'm curious though... Where does the money come from to payout these lawsuits? I know they have insurance to cover it, but I'm just wondering if somehow these lawsuits affect us overall by way of fare increases and such??

A public authority funded by tax dollars and ridership fares. what do you think?

A public authority funded by tax dollars and ridership fares. what do you think?

I asked because somewhere on the forum someone commented about how if a bus is in a fender bender or whatever that the insurance covers it and they mentioned that as if it was no big deal. That's why I asked because I'm curious in knowing how much does that affect fare increases and so forth? It's not something that the (MTA) talks about and in fact no one talks about it. The answer seems more obvious to you than you may think because you work with the (MTA).

This is stupid. These people just are stealing money from the (MTA). This needs to be stooped. It's not the (MTA)'s fault for the collision, It's the bus drivers.

1. The bus driver doesn't have to be at fault for the (MTA) to be considered legally liable for someones injury. If anything, an employee doesn't even have to be involved for the MTA to be considered liable depending on the incident.

2. Since the article is vague on the details of both incidents, I am very curious as to how you came to the conclusion that the bus driver(s) were at fault.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous to automatically assume that the driver is at fault. It's not so easy when you've got dummies all around you!

In Flushing, people get "sucked" underneath buses that are making turns all the time. Now how does that happen?! It's people that aren't paying attention and refuse to give buses the right of way, so they wind up meeting their demise!

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous to automatically assume that the driver is at fault. It's not so easy when you've got dummies all around you!

In Flushing, people get "sucked" underneath buses that are making turns all the time. Now how does that happen?! It's people that aren't paying attention and refuse to give buses the right of way, so they wind up meeting their demise!

Or even worse, a bus is parked/stationary and they're running towards it and end up tripping/slipping and ending up under the bus.

Archived