Stranded straphangers begin drive to bring back bus service to Queens

Shortline Bus

1) Like I said, part of the reason for the premium fare is because express buses cost much more to operate than local buses. Throughout the whole 1+ hour run, you're only picking up 60-70 passengers at most. On a local route, you can easily pick up twice as many passengers in the same period of time. Plus, express buses deadhead more than local and limited buses, which increases the costs even more.

2) You said that you've ridden express buses within one borough yourself, so suddenly when other people are allowed to do it, it becomes a problem?

3) A couple of extra riders isn't going to cause the bus to become "sardine can" crowded. The routes along the Q79 corridor are starting their runs there, and by the time the bus starts to get crowded, those Q79 riders will be off.

Responses below:

1) Why can't you just accept the fact that it costs a lot to operate it and let it be? Everything is not meant to be cheap and cost effective. That's like you trying to justify why a Bugatti costs millions of dollars and trying to find a way to make it cheaper. It's just foolish. The (MTA) knew what it was getting itself into when it began operating express bus service and no one forced them to take on the service, so just stop with the it's so expensive nonsense. If it is so expensive to operate they certainly didn't have to take over the private express bus lines, but they chose to do so. You think express buses are the only expensive thing to operate in our transit system?? Why don't you look at the LIRR and think of ridiculous ways to reduce costs like adding more stops and see what LIRR riders think of that when they're paying top dollar to get to and from their destination?

There are people who have the money to pay for the premium ride. Just accept what it is and stop complaining about how expensive it is. I'm sure you must be throwing a fit too about the new ferry service that the city opened. Ferry service is extremely expensive and is not very profitable to operate and yet the city chose to do so? Why? Because they realize that they cannot cram everyone onto the subway regardless of how many folks the subway can move and that other alternatives are needed, even if they are costly. It is not practical to pack everyone into one system which is already struggling to keep up as it is.

2) Uh, news flash. The only folks that use the express bus within one borough are expresss bus riders and that's the way it should be. We pay a premium and therefore we use it. However, to do what you're proposing is opening up a can of worms, which I'm sure the (MTA) does not want. I've already mentioned why it is not practical.

3) That is immaterial. As I said before having local bus riders get on express buses will slow down the express buses and do nothing more but artificially inflate ridership numbers. When it comes time to cut service or add service they won't have an accurate figure as to how much service should be axed or added because the local bus riders will be mixed in with the express bus riders. Aside from that who is really going to remember all of these ridiculous "exceptions?" I mean really, let's be real here. The average commuter is not going to remember that "Oh, I can only use this express bus at "X" time going in "X" direction. The whole thing is just one big headache all for trying to make a service more cost effective. What makes you think that so many people would want to ride the express bus like that anyway?

Folks who use car service, many of them do not want to ride any form of public transportation, period, even the express bus. They use cabs exclusively so as not to deal with anyone else and would not be seen on any form of public transportation, so who exactly is supposed to be targeted with this idea??

The only folks I see running to try to get on the express bus are the ignorant tourists in the city and that is definitely a no-no because they take up seats that could force legitimate express bus riders to have to stand during rush hour, which could perhaps prompt the (MTA) to add more service that really isn't needed, thus increasing costs instead of lowering them.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was why I had a proposal to extend Q50 over Q79 but being limited stop variant of Q12. O the only way you can make QM5 and 8 take on local passengers without pissing ppl off is to have a limit on the open door stops if all stops took local passengers the line wont go anywhere However if it took local passengers at select stops spread out over every 10 blocks then it may work without slowing down the bus too much plus it would only work in queens, Brooklyn and parts of SI(southwest) and select bronx rtes most wont work however. What if the express buses were a rapid style service then it may work better. Plus since the fare is $5.50 there needs to be incentive to encourage off peak travel or reverse like special transfer pliverages like 4 free connections or like in DC unlimited transfers over a 2 or 3 hour period to make up for the high fare and indistingushable farebox dilema

Ok, who in Co-Op City is clamoring for direct access to Floral Park?

It's already done, you can transfer from a local to an express and vice-versa if thats what you mean. Also, this isnt a debate, its common sense...

I meant within queens for non interborough ppl

Which he lacks, apparently...

I meant for local open door trips thats what I asked. O and I have lots of sense If I knew everything I wouldnt even ask questions.

Its meant as a multipurpose rte with different groups of ppl. However I already got off that idea I much rather use a bus that was full on another rte and reuse on the Q79 than use a separate bus for Q79

How about you leave the Q50 alone?

Again, who the blue hell in Co-op city needs to go to Floral Park? What justification do you have for proposing to double the length of the line and complicate things even further with the Q50?

He has no justification. He just thinks it will help the route.

Sending it to Floral Park is stupid and doesnt make one bit of sense. Hell I may as well send the BxM10 to Coney Island.

He has no justification. He just thinks it will help the route.

Sending it to Floral Park is stupid and doesnt make one bit of sense. Hell I may as well send the BxM10 to Coney Island.

NOT even close I am not that stupid this has nothing to do with any idea I have stop rewording my posts

Again, who the blue hell in Co-op city needs to go to Floral Park? What justification do you have for proposing to double the length of the line and complicate things even further with the Q50?

NOT even close to what I am thinking I am not looking at any bronx rte so drop it.

How many queens ppl go to westchester??? just asking ok not for any ideas. I mean travellers not just transit users

NOT even close to what I am thinking I am not looking at any bronx rte so drop it.

Considering the fact that the Q50 DOES run in the bronx...

umm....

That was why I had a proposal to extend Q50 over Q79 but being limited stop variant of Q12.

Care to retract that statement about something not being close to what you were thinkin....

When it came right out the author's mouth; that being you, of course....

Responses below:

1) Why can't you just accept the fact that it costs a lot to operate it and let it be? Everything is not meant to be cheap and cost effective. That's like you trying to justify why a Bugatti costs millions of dollars and trying to find a way to make it cheaper. It's just foolish. The (MTA) knew what it was getting itself into when it began operating express bus service and no one forced them to take on the service, so just stop with the it's so expensive nonsense. If it is so expensive to operate they certainly didn't have to take over the private express bus lines, but they chose to do so. You think express buses are the only expensive thing to operate in our transit system?? Why don't you look at the LIRR and think of ridiculous ways to reduce costs like adding more stops and see what LIRR riders think of that when they're paying top dollar to get to and from their destination?

There are people who have the money to pay for the premium ride. Just accept what it is and stop complaining about how expensive it is. I'm sure you must be throwing a fit too about the new ferry service that the city opened. Ferry service is extremely expensive and is not very profitable to operate and yet the city chose to do so? Why? Because they realize that they cannot cram everyone onto the subway regardless of how many folks the subway can move and that other alternatives are needed, even if they are costly. It is not practical to pack everyone into one system which is already struggling to keep up as it is.

2) Uh, news flash. The only folks that use the express bus within one borough are expresss bus riders and that's the way it should be. We pay a premium and therefore we use it. However, to do what you're proposing is opening up a can of worms, which I'm sure the (MTA) does not want. I've already mentioned why it is not practical.

3) That is immaterial. As I said before having local bus riders get on express buses will slow down the express buses and do nothing more but artificially inflate ridership numbers. When it comes time to cut service or add service they won't have an accurate figure as to how much service should be axed or added because the local bus riders will be mixed in with the express bus riders. Aside from that who is really going to remember all of these ridiculous "exceptions?" I mean really, let's be real here. The average commuter is not going to remember that "Oh, I can only use this express bus at "X" time going in "X" direction. The whole thing is just one big headache all for trying to make a service more cost effective. What makes you think that so many people would want to ride the express bus like that anyway?

Folks who use car service, many of them do not want to ride any form of public transportation, period, even the express bus. They use cabs exclusively so as not to deal with anyone else and would not be seen on any form of public transportation, so who exactly is supposed to be targeted with this idea??

The only folks I see running to try to get on the express bus are the ignorant tourists in the city and that is definitely a no-no because they take up seats that could force legitimate express bus riders to have to stand during rush hour, which could perhaps prompt the (MTA) to add more service that really isn't needed, thus increasing costs instead of lowering them.

1) I'm sure that, when the MTA started operating express buses, they didn't realize how large the system (and its associated costs) was going to grow.

Adding more stops on the LIRR will be ridiculously expensive. Having an express bus make a local stop is as simple as putting a sign on a pole, whereas adding a stop to the LIRR involves the costs and disruptions of constructing a station.

And yes, one way to reduce the costs on the LIRR is to bustitute certain lines when there is low ridership.

2) Yes, and those new riders would be paying the full $5.50 to get a faster ride.

3) You have a point there. Unless they add some type of button that the driver can press when an intraborough passenger gets off.

And the (intended) riders that would be attracted are people who can't use the local bus because there is none for them to use.

Today's lesson kids: ride the bus before you come up with ideas such as extensions or truncations

That's one thing he'll never learn.....he comes up with the same shit each and everytime that has to do with bringing back bus route(s) or ones being cut. He sounds like a broken record and his plans makes no damn sense!

1) I'm sure that, when the MTA started operating express buses, they didn't realize how large the system (and its associated costs) was going to grow.

Adding more stops on the LIRR will be ridiculously expensive. Having an express bus make a local stop is as simple as putting a sign on a pole, whereas adding a stop to the LIRR involves the costs and disruptions of constructing a station.

And yes, one way to reduce the costs on the LIRR is to bustitute certain lines when there is low ridership.

2) Yes, and those new riders would be paying the full $5.50 to get a faster ride.

3) You have a point there. Unless they add some type of button that the driver can press when an intraborough passenger gets off.

And the (intended) riders that would be attracted are people who can't use the local bus because there is none for them to use.

I'm sure people would be thrilled to take a bus shuttle when they're paying top dollar for the LIRR. Terrible idea. :tdown:

Regarding your other point, how did you come to the conclusion that these people would want to the ride the express bus anyway?? :confused:

Oh and that nonsense about them not knowing how expensive it would be is just that. If they didn't know well then that says a lot about them and why they have so much fiscal issues.

I'm sure people would be thrilled to take a bus shuttle when they're paying top dollar for the LIRR. Terrible idea. :tdown:

Regarding your other point, how did you come to the conclusion that these people would want to the ride the express bus anyway?? :confused:

1) It can be an MCI to make it more comfortable. Also, like I said, a premium fare doesn't give you the right to sit in an empty train. At least an empty bus costs less to run.

2) Paying $5.50 for an express bus is better than paying $20 for a taxi.

1) It can be an MCI to make it more comfortable. Also, like I said, a premium fare doesn't give you the right to sit in an empty train. At least an empty bus costs less to run.

2) Paying $5.50 for an express bus is better than paying $20 for a taxi.

It's not about rights. It's about getting what you're paying for. Simple as that. I pay for X and I want X. Are you fine with paying for organic milk and get cheap processed crap?? I doubt it. This is no different. The fact that the train or bus isn't as packed as the (MTA) would like it to be has nothing to do with the customer. They are paying for the ride just the same, so they should not be shortchanged. Next time you go to the store, you should buy regular processed milk and then let the store ring you up for the more expensive organic milk and see if that's okay with you, since you have no problem shortchanging passengers.

As far your other point goes, that maybe true, but some people don't care about costs. I mentioned before that some people will not be caught dead on public transportation and that is certainly true on Staten Island.

It's not about rights. It's about getting what you're paying for. Simple as that. I pay for X and I want X. Are you fine with paying for organic milk and get cheap processed crap?? I doubt it. This is no different. The fact that the train or bus isn't as packed as the (MTA) would like it to be has nothing to do with the customer. They are paying for the ride just the same, so they should not be shortchanged. Next time you go to the store, you should buy regular processed milk and then let the store ring you up for the more expensive organic milk and see if that's okay with you, since you have no problem shortchanging passengers.

As far your other point goes, that maybe true, but some people don't care about costs. I mentioned before that some people will not be caught dead on public transportation and that is certainly true on Staten Island.

There are people who are willing to blow money on food. For example, people pay twice as much for Cheerios when [insert store brand here] Toasted Oats are sitting right next to it. Hell, there are organic brands that are higher quality than the national brands for the same price and yet people shun them.

Getting back to topic, here's an analogy: Let's say an organic brand is only slightly higher quality than the regular version, but because of all the regulations to have it qualify as organic, it is twice as expensive as the regular brand. If a customer pays for the product, should they expect twice the quality just because it is twice the price? In that case, there are many consumers being shortchanged.

I think the obvious solution would be to raise the fare so that these low-ridership routes cover more of their costs. The problem is that riders on high-ridership routes like the X10 would also suffer.

Archived