Stranded straphangers begin drive to bring back bus service to Queens

Shortline Bus

I think with logic hence why I gave up on Q50

damn did that post of mine fly right over your head.....

He has no sense @ all.....all of his plans are full of hot air....SMFH!

lmao !

If you think about it his extended (Bx55) was a proposed Bx50

beat me to it....

I was gonna say, that wasn't his (QJT's) original idea....

2) Paying $5.50 for an express bus is better than paying $20 for a taxi.

....and hitching a ride (family member, family friend, etc) at an LIRR station is cheaper than paying $5.50 for an express bus...

Take a trip out to LIRR Ronkonkoma and you will see PLENTY of this goin on.... Express beese won't catch on out in LI; it would only go on to promote more people using the personal vehicle in the longrun...

Quite frankly, I'd rather have folk stay on the LIRR.... don't need anymore vehicles on LI's highways.... furthermore, if folks rather pay more to get from point A to B, more power to them....

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) I'm sure that, when the MTA started operating express buses, they didn't realize how large the system (and its associated costs) was going to grow.

Adding more stops on the LIRR will be ridiculously expensive. Having an express bus make a local stop is as simple as putting a sign on a pole, whereas adding a stop to the LIRR involves the costs and disruptions of constructing a station.

Do you intend to have the express routes serving stops along the route they don't serve?

His plans to extend the Bx55 to LGA makes no sense at all.
If that were the case others wouldn't have said it was a good idea think about it the Bx15 and Bx55 travel almost the same route the Bx15 goes to manhattan via 125th street which is sometimes a parking lot. And to top it off Bx15 is a LOCAL. Bx55 is Limited so if the bus is Limited why can't it go to queens if the Bx15 local can go to manhattan ur argument just got killed sir now shut up!!!!!!

He has no sense @ all.....all of his plans are full of hot air....SMFH!

Err ur not perfect urself I used most of the buses I talk about with Q50 being the exception now be mature and GET OFF MY BACK.

If you think about it his extended (Bx55) was a proposed Bx50

interesting so why didnt they just interline BX50 select runs with the Bx55??? By the way I had no original ideas for NYC except maybe guideways over parkways without having to change the clearances much. But as far as bus rtes most of my good plans involve hudson valley and MD,NJ I will study MD a bit more before coming to a conclusion

I'm sure people would be thrilled to take a bus shuttle when they're paying top dollar for the LIRR. Terrible idea. :tdown:

Regarding your other point, how did you come to the conclusion that these people would want to the ride the express bus anyway?? :confused:

Oh and that nonsense about them not knowing how expensive it would be is just that. If they didn't know well then that says a lot about them and why they have so much fiscal issues.

I will not even bother with this fight I will avoid the LIRR vs express bus war let someone other than me settle that war. Cause Some express buses like QM2,2a and 5-8 DO NOT duplicate the LIRR. LIRR is ABOVE CAPACITY!!!!! You can't just cram more ppl onto LIRR unless you want to hire the pushers from japan. The QM3 I admit sucks balls However the QM21 doesnt directly duplicate due to limden blvd segment to be honest it's like a x63 variant. The only reason why X68 exists is cause the local/LTD buses are above capacity and loads on X68 will literally KILL the Q43 to the point of needing articulated buses. X64 well if ridership drops again I guess another one bites the dust. Most express buses DO NOT replicate the LIRR. To be honest several LIRR rush hour trains bypass queens completely!!!!

Back to the original topic at hand.... some folks up in Glen Oaks came up with a plan to extend the Q36 all the way up LNP to the LIRR Little neck.....

I wouldn't send the 36 up LNP, period.... these folks basically want the 36 to take on the full Q79 route....

*facepalm*

Back to the original topic at hand.... some folks up in Glen Oaks came up with a plan to extend the Q36 all the way up LNP to the LIRR Little neck.....

I wouldn't send the 36 up LNP, period.... these folks basically want the 36 to take on the full Q79 route....

*facepalm*

I think they intend to interline the Q36 with the Q12 via the Q79 routing. If so then they can just use select trips. If the 79 was so empty think about it as a DH to little neck then becomes Q12

I think they intend to interline the Q36 with the Q12 via the Q79 routing. If so then they can just use select trips. If the 79 was so empty think about it as a DH to little neck then becomes Q12

Wrong, because the Q36 & Q12 come from two different depots, they can't interline. What they are trying to do is split the pain between both routes to make ends meet. Idk but sending the Q36 to LNP is a ppretty crappy idea. They are better off reviving the Q79....

I'm sure people would be thrilled to take a bus shuttle when they're paying top dollar for the LIRR. Terrible idea. :tdown:

Regarding your other point, how did you come to the conclusion that these people would want to the ride the express bus anyway?? :confused:

Oh and that nonsense about them not knowing how expensive it would be is just that. If they didn't know well then that says a lot about them and why they have so much fiscal issues.

No one in nassau with a brain will use a bus to manhattan period!!!! Express bus in nassau= EPIC FAIL I guess checkmate just got checkmated!!!!!!!

Last I checked LIE= HELL even if it was flowing nicely the bus will not be able to match the LIRR's speed at all. Its 40 mins to seaford from manhattan!!!!! and to top it off makes a timed transfer with 3 local buses to boot!!!!! at massepequa. The only express bus in LI that wont fail is if its express from areas with shitty LIRR service. Or within LI suffolk to nassau or within nassau or wholly in suffolk and to areas not easily reachable by LIRR.

On that logic, then every route serving the same areas should go to Queens.

...In that case the Bx30 should have variants going to White Plains since the BeeLine #60 runs on Boston Rd.

WOAH slow down buddy I will NOT come up with anything that crazy the 60 is dog slow. If BX30 were to get a variant its just better off staying in the bronx and the bee line 60 can become closed door in bronx to speed up the line. The bee-line serves westchester NOT MTA. My logic doesn't extend to allow duplication as that is what my ideas eliminate.

Wrong, because the Q36 & Q12 come from two different depots, they can't interline. What they are trying to do is split the pain between both routes to make ends meet. Idk but sending the Q36 to LNP is a ppretty crappy idea. They are better off reviving the Q79....

Interesting if pain between both rtes is split doesn't that lessen the pain??? question which segments of the cross island parkway allow buses from where to where??? I remember seeing DH runs there.

No one in nassau with a brain will use a bus to manhattan period!!!! Express bus in nassau= EPIC FAIL I guess checkmate just got checkmated!!!!!!!

Last I checked LIE= HELL even if it was flowing nicely the bus will not be able to match the LIRR's speed at all. Its 40 mins to seaford from manhattan!!!!! and to top it off makes a timed transfer with 3 local buses to boot!!!!! at massepequa. The only express bus in LI that wont fail is if its express from areas with shitty LIRR service. Or within LI suffolk to nassau or within nassau or wholly in suffolk and to areas not easily reachable by LIRR.

Actually, I think checkmatechamp means that only certain parts of a LIRR branch with low ridership will be replaced with feeders.(eg, if not enough ppl use the Ronkonkoma branch east of the Ronkonkoma stop, then express bus feeder will serve those stops instead.

Interesting if pain between both rtes is split doesn't that lessen the pain??? question which segments of the cross island parkway allow buses from where to where??? I remember seeing DH runs there.

You really didn't read what I said properly.

When I said they were trying to split the pain between both routes, they wanted to have both routes serve the area one way, shape & form or another. They did have some DH runs in that area only because Queens Village Depot is nearby. If they intend on sending the Q36 Local / LTD up there, they are better off doing it like how M15 Local trips are handled, have a few trips going to LNP with others ending at the original last stop

You really didn't read what I said properly.

When I said they were trying to split the pain between both routes, they wanted to have both routes serve the area one way, shape & form or another. They did have some DH runs in that area only because Queens Village Depot is nearby. If they intend on sending the Q36 Local / LTD up there, they are better off doing it like how M15 Local trips are handled, have a few trips going to LNP with others ending at the original last stop

What you said makes much more sense. I heard ya loud and clear. Q36 LTD replaces Q79 then local when LTD isnt running. makes sense the way M15 is handled should be the way 36 is but the 36 already dipps south from hillside why extend it north????

Actually, I think checkmatechamp means that only certain parts of a LIRR branch with low ridership will be replaced with feeders.(eg, if not enough ppl use the Ronkonkoma branch east of the Ronkonkoma stop, then express bus feeder will serve those stops instead.

well why not split the S92 then. The only reason why ridership is low cause think about it WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD BOTHER WITH A TRAIN THATS 3 TIMES A DAY!!!!! If demand was really that low the S92 would NOT be the sardine can it is now!!!!!

How can the (Q12) and (Q36) interline when they're from different depots? That's like the (Q76) interlining with the (Q77)

Yes, it does explain why they are having these fiscal issues.

Do you intend to have the express routes serving stops along the route they don't serve?

The plan was to have express buses in areas that are underserved by local buses make pick-up stops in those areas.

See Q101 E Midtown's post below.

Yup. That was what I was saying.

well why not split the S92 then. The only reason why ridership is low cause think about it WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD BOTHER WITH A TRAIN THATS 3 TIMES A DAY!!!!! If demand was really that low the S92 would NOT be the sardine can it is now!!!!!

I don't think the people in the Hamptons would want to take a regular bus to reach the LIRR. I would think that it would be people living in Riverhead (or transferring at Riverhead from other routes) who are using the bus to get to jobs like being a maid or chauffer for the wealthy people in the Hamptons.

How can the (Q12) and (Q36) interline when they're from different depots? That's like the (Q76) interlining with the (Q77)

Is there an actual rule against that. If not, then interlining routes from different depots would make sense as long as the bus returns to the correct depot at the end of the day.

Yes, it does explain why they are having these fiscal issues.

The plan was to have express buses in areas that are underserved by local buses make pick-up stops in those areas.

See Q101 E Midtown's post below.

Yup. That was what I was saying.

I don't think the people in the Hamptons would want to take a regular bus to reach the LIRR. I would think that it would be people living in Riverhead (or transferring at Riverhead from other routes) who are using the bus to get to jobs like being a maid or chauffer for the wealthy people in the Hamptons.

Is there an actual rule against that. If not, then interlining routes from different depots would make sense as long as the bus returns to the correct depot at the end of the day.

you win now do the dance

There are people who are willing to blow money on food. For example, people pay twice as much for Cheerios when [insert store brand here] Toasted Oats are sitting right next to it. Hell, there are organic brands that are higher quality than the national brands for the same price and yet people shun them.

Getting back to topic, here's an analogy: Let's say an organic brand is only slightly higher quality than the regular version, but because of all the regulations to have it qualify as organic, it is twice as expensive as the regular brand. If a customer pays for the product, should they expect twice the quality just because it is twice the price? In that case, there are many consumers being shortchanged.

I think the obvious solution would be to raise the fare so that these low-ridership routes cover more of their costs. The problem is that riders on high-ridership routes like the X10 would also suffer.

You just don't get it. There are certain expectations that come along with certain prices and that's the way things work. As a business, you cannot nickel and dime for everything because at that rate you'll be out of business. Many businesses have small profit margins and some of that has to do with them absorbing the costs to operate as a business. You have to understand your clientele and what they are willing to pay and not pay and what services they expect and some costs can be passed to the customer (within reason) and some the business has to eat.

I pointed out the new ferry service that was opened that is being heavily subsidized by the city, which won't be very profitable and I notice that you didn't say anything about that. The city is running the service not because it is looking to rake in profits but because they understand the subway is packed to capacity and New Yorkers in those areas need alternatives to take stress off of the system. The point is that everything is not about profits and dollars and cents, but about what makes sense.

Which is probably why many people there take the Hampton Jitney. It's much more frequent.

Bx55 is Limited so if the bus is Limited why can't it go to queens if the Bx15 local can go to manhattan ur argument just got killed sir now shut up!!!!!!
You're such a ****, you know? The whole point of the Bx55 is to replace the former 3rd Avenue elevated. But then again, you don't know that at all. Just because the Bx55 is limited doesn't mean that it should go to Queens because of X, Y, Z. Like I said, foamer's dream. Let the MTA decide what's best for the Bx55.

Pay him no mind with his useless plans and garbage ass extensions!
All hell would break lose if this guy were to work for the MTA.

Archived