Suffolk Transit contracts?

PinePower

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder when they are going to be up? And when they are, could Veolia bid to take over theirs as well?

Then an Island-Wide system could be formed (LITA).

I would be real pissed if the (MTA) took over ST though, while leaving Nassau.

The Contracts came up last month, and since the companies that had contracts before the contracts are up are still running them now I would think that all six companies (CBS, Suffolk Bus, EBT, Sunrise, HJ, and ICMC) have won the RFP to operate.

You will have to wait five more years to see if Veolia bids and wins (I doubt it since they don't have a yard in Suffolk but you never know)

suffolk transit is run by suffolk school bus in suffolk

Only two of the operators are a school bus company (EBT and Sunrise Coach)

One is a sister company to a school bus company (Suffolk Bus Corp)

One is a Coach Operation (Hampton Jitney)

One the remnants of a school bus company and was a sister company to Harran (CBS Lines)

And the last company use to run coach buses (ICMC)

The Contracts came up last month, and since the companies that had contracts before the contracts are up are still running them now I would think that all six companies (CBS, Suffolk Bus, EBT, Sunrise, HJ, and ICMC) have won the RFP to operate.

You will have to wait five more years to see if Veolia bids and wins (I doubt it since they don't have a yard in Suffolk but you never know)

I will be rooting for Veolia the whole time to win those contracts and maybe coach usa too.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be rooting for Veolia the whole time to win those contracts and maybe coach usa too.

If Veolia bids and if Suffolk even gives them an RFP, I have no idea if Suffolk gives RFP's to every company thats out there or only they only give the RFP's to the six company's that they currently deal with.

I know back in Suffolk Transit's infancy they dealt with 9 companies, all of which according to a report done by the county comptroller for 1980-1983, had all over charged the county.

• 4 months later...

I was wrong the Contract were up this year but the new contracts wouldn't go into effect until the Jan 2. At least two companies will be going away. One is CBS which lost their routes to Suffolk Bus Corp.

From what I was told EBT is the other company losing the routes with Inter-County getting them; However someone says that they heard that Inter-County is going away with EBT getting their routes. I'm not sure which is right so I guess we will have to wait until Jan 2.

• 1 month later...
They do. E.B.T. is big enough to hold their buses because they have TWO lots (I think), right?

The lot on Sunrise Highway does not have a lot of unused space, unless they expand, there are school buses there also. I assume Inter County would give back the 35 and 40 footers they recently received.

The lot on Sunrise Highway does not have a lot of unused space, unless they expand, there are school buses there also. I assume Inter County would give back the 35 and 40 footers they recently received.

Based on the coach buses in their lot and their website it seems Inter County is now focusing on Atlantic City runs.

Inter County has no more transit buses, there have been none at Inter County's lot in Babylon since the first of the year. Only school buses and coach buses. Every time I drive by I see about 1 more charter bus parked than the last time. I don't know if they have acquired them or if they had parked them somewhere else when they had the transit buses...

On Sunday that lot would be jam packed, transit buses would be in the front of the lot and visible from Deer Park Ave as you passed by, you would also see one coach bus with no logos on it. You would always see a NY Trailways bus parked there as well, I always wondered why a lone trailways bus was parked there...

On New Years Day I drove EBT's lot on Sunrise HWY, I went down there because I was expecting to see transit buses jam packed in there, or flowing out on the side roads as there was no service that day. There seemed to be no extra transit buses parked there. Were the buses being stored in another location to change the legals and license plates? Did EBT get a new lot to park these buses?

Newsday mentioned that Sunrise and Hampton Jitney are being replaced by "Twin Forks Transit". What is this company? A joint venture?

You know I saw this on Wikipedia yesterday and said wtf when I saw Twin Forks Transit.

Wikipedia lists:

Suffolk Bus Corporation: 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 5A, 6A, 6B, 7A, 7B, 7D, 7E, S40, S41, S42, S45, S47, S56, S58, S59, S60, S61, S62, S66, S68, S69, S71, S76, and S110

Educational Bus Transportation: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, S1, S20, S23, S25, S27, S29, S31, S33, S35, S54, S57, and S63

Twin Forks Transit: 8A, 10A, 10B, 10C, 10D, 10E, S90, S92, S94

As far as EBT goes, since they are owned by the trans group I always wondered why they chose to run the transit buses under Educational Bus Transportation and put operated by (the abbreviation) EBT INC instead of creating a subsidy for the transit buses.

I know it doesn't really matter, but I always thought it was odd. I could understand if it was just a school bus company that had one yard, but the Trans Group is a pretty large and it seems funny to see transit buses run by Educational Bus Transportation.

You know I saw this on Wikipedia yesterday and said wtf when I saw Twin Forks Transit.

Wikipedia lists:

Suffolk Bus Corporation: 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 5A, 6A, 6B, 7A, 7B, 7D, 7E, S40, S41, S42, S45, S47, S56, S58, S59, S60, S61, S62, S66, S68, S69, S71, S76, and S110

Educational Bus Transportation: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, S1, S20, S23, S25, S27, S29, S31, S33, S35, S54, S57, and S63

As far as EBT goes, since they are owned by the trans group I always wondered why they chose to run the transit buses under Educational Bus Transportation and put operated by (the abbreviation) EBT INC instead of creating a subsidy for the transit buses.

I know it doesn't really matter, but I always thought it was odd. I could understand if it was just a school bus company that had one yard, but the Trans Group is a pretty large and it seems funny to see transit buses run by Educational Bus Transportation.

I edited the WP article based on Newsday.

• 3 weeks later...
Newsday mentioned that Sunrise and Hampton Jitney are being replaced by "Twin Forks Transit". What is this company? A joint venture?

Sunrise Coach and Hampton Jitney created Twin Forks Transit so they can keep operating their routes and buses. Suffolk Lumped both the companies routes together meaning that one company would win the bid to operate the 8A, 10A, 10B, 10C, 10D/E, S90, S92, and S94. (As a cost saving measure) My guess is since both companies don't have the facilities to run all the buses and routes they joined forces and created a company to bid and keep the routes. Sunrise Coach and HJ's names are still on the buses that they ran before Jan 2nd as told to me by someone who works at Sunrise.

The County did the same thing with ICMC and EBT's routes which is why ICMC is no longer an operator, they DID not do the same with Suffolk Corp's and CBS's routes, so it is my guess that Suffolk Bus used the power the companies got from the lawsuit they all had against the County and competitively bid on all CBS's routes (Or CBS's owners sold the company to Suffolk Bus, since there was a rumor that the owners of CBS wanted to sell the company)

Newsday only reported what the county has which does show that Twin Forks Transit bid and won the contract, even though that is not the case.

Wikipedia lists:

EBT's buses say Operated By EBT Inc, or at least thats what they had on the 1991 Gillig Phantoms they operated for the county and I believe the 1996 Gillig Phantoms.

Based on the coach buses in their lot and their website it seems Inter County is now focusing on Atlantic City runs.

Inter County has no more transit buses, there have been none at Inter County's lot in Babylon since the first of the year. Only school buses and coach buses. Every time I drive by I see about 1 more charter bus parked than the last time. I don't know if they have acquired them or if they had parked them somewhere else when they had the transit buses...

On Sunday that lot would be jam packed, transit buses would be in the front of the lot and visible from Deer Park Ave as you passed by, you would also see one coach bus with no logos on it. You would always see a NY Trailways bus parked there as well, I always wondered why a lone trailways bus was parked there...

On New Years Day I drove EBT's lot on Sunrise HWY, I went down there because I was expecting to see transit buses jam packed in there, or flowing out on the side roads as there was no service that day. There seemed to be no extra transit buses parked there. Were the buses being stored in another location to change the legals and license plates? Did EBT get a new lot to park these buses?

ICMC could have gotten back into the Coach buses business, last I heard they stopped operating Coach Buses for Charter runs because the Insurance got to high. I know Ground Transamerica, which is a sister company, books charter runs with other companies though Inter County's old website.

I was told that EBT's yard was big enough to handle the extra transit buses, though I don't know if the person meant the yard with the maintenance shops in it or the yard to the right of that.

Archived