A bit of confusion

blewisemt

I am wondering what the difference btween taking the MaBSTOA exam and the NYC transit exam specifically exam #8006? I recieved a letter from MaBSTOA with a list # and havent heard from the city exam. Some people I have spoke to states you can transfer from borough to borough but before I commit to anything I would like to know the facts.

I am wondering what the difference btween taking the MaBSTOA exam and the NYC transit exam specifically exam #8006? I recieved a letter from MaBSTOA with a list # and havent heard from the city exam. Some people I have spoke to states you can transfer from borough to borough but before I commit to anything I would like to know the facts.

Welcome to the forums,this has been brought up on other threads,however I am too lazy to go look for them. Nobody has heard from exam #8006,it will be awhile,next year most likely.

There are 2 lists that are active this time. MaBSTOA(#2801)and exam 2085. What is your list # from #2801? The highest number that I have seen in here being called is 4XXX. I figure they are halfway through both of those lists by now.

I do know that if you pick into a Queens depot,you are there for life. As for other boroughs I believe you can transfer after either 6 months or 1 year.

DOB2RTO can explain it better. He is the most knowledgeable of the bus operators in this forum. Even though he is a disgruntled bus operator,he always has answers for our questions. Chris Frusci is a recently hired bus operator who works out of Staten Island. He is also very helpful in this forum.

I took the #8006 exam as well. How did you do? I got an 85%. Have you heard from anybody who took the exam that got less than 5 wrong?

"Quoting DOB2RTO"

Ta is civil service. MaBSTOA (OA for short) has civil service title, but isn't truly civil service (we don't take a civil service exam, just the BOSS). TA runs Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, and 126st in Manhattan. MaBSTOA runs the Bronx and the rest of Manhattan. The pay and benefits between these two are the same. There are two different unions. MaBSTOA and Brooklyn are TWU local 100. STI and Queens are ATU. As of Jan 2008, MaBSTOA, Brooklyn, and 126st depot has merged, and now during the general pick, we can go into any of those depots. Reason is we are all Local 100.

MTA Bus is a different animal. You start off with a lower pay, and top out with a lower pay (than TA or OA). Your pay at MTA Bus depends on the depot you pick into. They do not have a uniform pay (except when qualifying). Each depot has it's own hourly pay. Yonkers and Eastchester depots are two of the highest paying. The top pay at Yonkers is $23+. They start at $16+. Yonkers, Eastchester, Baisley Park, LGA, and College Point are TWU Local 100. Spring Creek, Far Rockaway, and JFK, are ATU. The latter are lowest paying. IIRC, they start at about $12+. TA and OA doesn't pay for uniforms. MTA Bus does. TWU is suppose to talking about getting them (the depots they represent), the same contract we have. This way all the Local 100 depots can be uniformed.

Hope this answers your questions.

My mabstoa exam# 2801 list # is 3970.00.

I got 12 wrong on test# 8006.

I guess I want to make sure if I end up getting called for mabstoa, I don't want to be trapped there if/when I get called from exam list 8006. If I don't get called from 8006 will I be limited to just Manhatten & Bronx? :confused:

My mabstoa exam# 2801 list # is 3970.00.

I got 12 wrong on test# 8006.

I guess I want to make sure if I end up getting called for mabstoa, I don't want to be trapped there if/when I get called from exam list 8006. If I don't get called from 8006 will I be limited to just Manhatten & Bronx? :confused:

Well I got the same score as you did on #8006. Have you taken the BOSS yet? With that number you should get called in soon. You want to work out of one of the Staten Island depots right? How long are you willing to wait?

You will have a much longer wait if you decide to pass on the MaBSTOA,don't think you can transfer from that division. They will eventually merge all of the divisions,just a matter of time. Sorry that I can't give you a better answer. Hopefully somebody will come and post better info for you.

While SI would be ideal, I'm not going to let other opportunity's pass me by. I just don't want to get stuck out in the Bronx. I used to work out there and the commute was a killer... and that was before gas hit $4.+ a gal

As for the BOSS, seeing how I don't know what it is- I'm guessing I didn't take it yet..LOLOL B)

While SI would be ideal, I'm not going to let other opportunity's pass me by. I just don't want to get stuck out in the Bronx. I used to work out there and the commute was a killer... and that was before gas hit $4.+ a gal

As for the BOSS, seeing how I don't know what it is- I'm guessing I didn't take it yet..LOLOL B)

The BOSS stands for Bus Operator Selection Survey. They notify you by mail to come down and take it at 180 Livingston St in Brooklyn. It is basically a pysch exam,in a multiple choice format,just tell them what they want to hear. I don't recall how many questions were on it. Several people have taken it already that were on both lists(2801 and 2085.

Yeah it makes sense to want to work at the nearest bus depot from where you live. My first 2 picks if and when the time comes are either Fresh Pond or Grand Avenue,both are only 2.6-3 miles away from where I live. If gas hits the $5.00 a gallon mark next year...:eek: I would have to consider commuting by bike.

I DID do that! I received a letter last week that says I successfully completed the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS.. got it now.. LOL). "As positions become available, you will be invited to our facility in the order that you were randomly selected, to continue the pre-employment selection process." yadda yadda yadda ...

Thanks again !

Archived