Official Montreal Metro Thread!

• 3 weeks later...
The Montreal Metro has conventional steel wheels behind the rubber tires, if the rail were elevated, the rubber tires would be lifted off the ground and it would run on steel wheels.

Hi. It's great that you post here, because the Montreal Metro is one of my favorite North American rail systems and I always want to learn more about it, especially about any plans to expand the system.

For one thing, I always thought the MR-63 and 73 cars were unable to run outdoors due to their rubber tires. I didn't know their tires lifted. So if STM wants to build future extensions of the Metro outdoors or along existing railways, they could run the existing trains on them (or new trains with rubber tires)? Would make expansion of the system more affordable that way.

Hi. It's great that you post here, because the Montreal Metro is one of my favorite North American rail systems and I always want to learn more about it, especially about any plans to expand the system.

For one thing, I always thought the MR-63 and 73 cars were unable to run outdoors due to their rubber tires. I didn't know their tires lifted. So if STM wants to build future extensions of the Metro outdoors or along existing railways, they could run the existing trains on them (or new trains with rubber tires)? Would make expansion of the system more affordable that way.

The rolling stock we have now aren't able to run outdoors because they have no heating system, so winters would be very cold, and they're not rain tight, the fans would blow water at people if it were to rain, and all the elctricals are exposed so the water and snow would really create a lot of damage.

Indeed it's a great system despite the fleets incompatibility with inclement weather. I really like the MR-63/73's with Jeumont Choppers, they really make the whole station sing, hehe.

Been there in 2009, really loved the city and the STM Metro!

The MR-63s are the only ones that were retrofitted with the Jeumont chopper, as the MR-73 was built and already had this sound (Doo Doo Doo). ;)

Also, It's not a Bombardier, It's a Canadian Vickers. But I guess it's the same since Bombardier bought them off.

That's even better. I thought because of the 81- designation it was the MR-73 model. Thanks for the corrections. I will change the title of the video later today.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Montreal Metro turned 45 years old yesterday!

The MR63 trains are 45 years old and reliability levels (Mean Distance Between Failures/MDBF ratings) are more than double that of typical North American subway cars by North American standards.

For the last 3 years in a row, the Montreal Metro has been awarded the most efficient Subway in the world.

Here's to the upcoming year!

GLASSES-O-CHAMPAIGN-psd25141.png

Archived