Need info on the G train

nyctransit

Friends, I'm actually wondering if the G train would be the fastest route for me from downtown brooklyn? or is it better to go into manhattan(grand central) and transfer to my train home(7 train). I don't mind multiple transfers, just concerned about the time.

Thank You for your inputs.

Unless you like or want to go railfanning, go right ahead;)

But in all seriousness, yes, like Fresh Pond states- just take the (G) from Downtown Brooklyn to Court Square and transfer to the (7)<7> it'll save time and you won't go through Manhattan.

And welcome to the forums and enjoy the (7)<7> It's my home line too.

Ckhaleel,thanks.

Daniel, thanks to you too.

bknightshadow, i'm happy to met a fellow commuter :P. I'm just wondering if the cars run empty,literally empty:eek:?

thanks for ur warm welcome too

FamousNYlover, haha :)

Freshpond, that's a relief to hear. yes, i am a little nbervous but ur idea about riding in the first car sounds good! that should be a little less scary to me.

38thstreetyard, yep, will have to keep a check on service announcements

R68, thank you. sounds good to me

knh, i will have to work around the G train schedule I believe.

twotimer,good to hear :)

sospectacular,

hmm,i'm yet to travel in a 4 car train. sounds exciting to me :)

Friends, I'm actually wondering if the G train would be the fastest route for me from downtown brooklyn? or is it better to go into manhattan(grand central) and transfer to my train home(7 train). I don't mind multiple transfers, just concerned about the time.

Thank You for your inputs.

Yes the G is your fastest option between Brooklyn and Queens.

Just be aware of 2 things: 1. wait times can be a bit long sometimes, and 2. the G is only 4 cars long meaning you have to know where the train stops at the station or it'll be a long run to catch the train..

Fresh pond, Yes, I can avoid the mahattan part of the travel if I use the G:).

IntExp, No, I'm not interested in railfanning ;). 7 is my home line too:tup: and I absolutely LOVE this line

error46146,

I have got my self a copy of the G schedule. So will work my schedule around that:cool:. I only hope the train actually keeps to that schedule for the most part.

Thanks to this lovely forum that I made my first trip in the G train today ;) I am elated:p.

I know this might sound silly to many of you but I was so scared of the whole thing - a new train line, unknown areas,safty of the station/train, the stops etc! My worries were endless. Then I found this forum, registered and posted my question . I was overwhelmed to read your replies and needless to say found the replies very very useful.

So I took the G train today while returning from work:tup::tup::tup:. I return at around 11 30 AM. I work part time from 7:00 AM to 11:30 AM. I reached the stations around 11:40 AM and a train immediately arrived in 1 minute(I was lucky). The train was full at that time, as in, there were not standing passengers but all the seats were full. It took me exactly 20 minutes from the time I boarded the train to the time I landed at court square. The journey was pleasant,I must say! :) However, when I actually canculated my commute time by the 2/5 and then a transfer to the 7 line, the G line route was not big difference. I would think it takes about the same time which is little surprising to me. So I'm thinking if the G route will work better or should I stick to my usual route of 7/2 or 7/5 or 7/N.

P.S.:Also, does anyone know how crowded/empty the train is in the morning,around 6:45 AM towards Brooklyn?

From Court Square, it shouldn't be that crowded. If anything, maybe some Bk Tech kids, and those who work in Brooklyn, that's it. Be prepared however, to notice some more people who get on at the Greenpoint stops to transfer to the (L) at Metropolitan Ave.

Thanks to this lovely forum that I made my first trip in the G train today :) I am elated:p.

I know this might sound silly to many of you but I was so scared of the whole thing - a new train line, unknown areas,safty of the station/train, the stops etc! My worries were endless. Then I found this forum, registered and posted my question . I was overwhelmed to read your replies and needless to say found the replies very very useful.

So I took the G train today while returning from work:tup::tup::tup:. I return at around 11 30 AM. I work part time from 7:00 AM to 11:30 AM. I reached the stations around 11:40 AM and a train immediately arrived in 1 minute(I was lucky). The train was full at that time, as in, there were not standing passengers but all the seats were full. It took me exactly 20 minutes from the time I boarded the train to the time I landed at court square. The journey was pleasant,I must say! :) However, when I actually canculated my commute time by the 2/5 and then a transfer to the 7 line, the G line route was not big difference. I would think it takes about the same time which is little surprising to me. So I'm thinking if the G route will work better or should I stick to my usual route of 7/2 or 7/5 or 7/N.

P.S.:Also, does anyone know how crowded/empty the train is in the morning,around 6:45 AM towards Brooklyn?

thats great that you tried The (G):tup:

The (G), formerly the 70(GG) and also known as the Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown Line, is an IND. subway line that once truly lived up to its' name.

The (G) ran from 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue in Forest Hills to Smith-Ninth Streets. From 1968 to Friday August 27, 1976, it ran to Church Avenue as the local while the 70(F) ran as the express.

The (G) had a companion local, the 70(EE) which offered service to Broadway during weeksdays 'Normal Hours'. The (G) first was changed on Monday December 17, 2001 when the (V) was created then on Monday June 27, 2010 was cut back to Court Square-Long Island City permenently.

When I was growing up, Queens Boulevard was the 70(GG) 70(EE) locals and 70(E) and 70(F) expresses.

Wasnt there a time when the (GG) went up to 179? The punch box at 169 still has the route guide for both that service and the (F) thats there now

I don't think so, I have never heard of the GG going past 71st.

The GG went past its usual terminal at 71st Avenue during two periods in its history.

During the 1939 World's Fair the GG route was extended to the World's Fair on its own special trackage to a new terminal. During the rush hours, some E-trains were also extended to this terminal. When that World's Fair was closed, the trackage and terminal was removed for the building of a portion of the Van Wyck Expressway.

During the late 1980's or early 1990's, before the 63rd Street tunnel was finally connected to the Queens Blvd line, during the midnight hours, the F-train served the route to the then Queensbridge station and terminal. During the midnight hours the GG train was extended to/from the 179th Street terminal, while the E-train traveled to/from its Archer Avenue terminal.

Thus the GG train over its history has had the following terminals in Queens:

- Court Square (current terminal),

- Queens Plaza (midnight hour),

- Roosevelt AVenue (1930's while the eastern portions were under construction),

- 71st Avenue (usual full-time terminal for a few decades),

- World's Fair Terminal - for the 1939 World's Fair

- 179th Street - midnight hours to replace the F-train.

Just a historical note, for the Archer AVenue segment, at first the MTA thought to extend both the N and GG trains there

Mike

Guest lance25

The 70(GG), as well as the other double letter lines, were long gone when Archer Avenue and 63rd Street opened in 1988 and '89 respectively. When the (F) terminated at 21 St-Queensbridge during the overnight hours, the (G), not the 70(GG), was sent to Jamaica-179 St. Small detail, but I think that was the question posed if I'm correct.

Archived