Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Abba

New mini maps on platforms

They should make digital screens that reflect current service status, if only for a certain trunk line.

Guest lance25

The (MTA) has no money for that kind of expenditure currently.

However, I do agree with you. They should one day, do a pilot program with TV screens that show the current service and can easily be updated for planned service changes (and maybe the unplanned ones as well). The screens could cycle through various advertisements so the (MTA) can get some sort of revenue from the expense. As for testing locations, the usual suspects (Atlantic-Pacific, Times Square, Grand Central, Fulton St) would work perfectly.

And here I thought the MTA was basically broke....

Are those things needed? I mean, most platforms have a map already. This just seems repetitive.

The MTA maybe broke but they will always raise the fares just to get it back... The old signs already did the job...

The (MTA) has no money for that kind of expenditure currently.

However, I do agree with you. They should one day, do a pilot program with TV screens that show the current service and can easily be updated for planned service changes (and maybe the unplanned ones as well). The screens could cycle through various advertisements so the (MTA) can get some sort of revenue from the expense. As for testing locations, the usual suspects (Atlantic-Pacific, Times Square, Grand Central, Fulton St) would work perfectly.

I would say, use color e-paper (whenever that comes out). Probably would be less expensive than TV type screens. Would be good for both route and the service change notes.

Please note that these maps have hit the (R) line at Court St. Sorry, no pics as I just noticed it when we were leaving the station.

It's not really needed on the SIR considering very few tourists actually ride it and since it can only go from St. George to Tottenville...the line never splits up.

Its not even that. At every SIR station, they have a line map of the route and a schedule of when its supposed to arrive at said station

Nice addition, but IMO, a day late & a dollar short....

You'd have thought somethin like this would've been placed in all 468 stations in some form or fashion decades ago....

I wonder how they'll handle the (N) and (Q) considering their slightly odd service patterns, especially now that the Brighton Line is going under renovation and not normal service.

I wonder how they'll handle the (N) and (Q) considering their slightly odd service patterns, especially now that the Brighton Line is going under renovation and not normal service.

Wait 2 to 3 Months for Brighton to reopen?

The good thing is these mini-maps are being used all the time. I always see people looking at them. That should be some good news for the MTA.

I noticed at Court Street that the overhead signs were gone; instead, only the (R) strip maps were used for directionality. Is this part of a larger wayfinding change? It'd be confusing with weekend and late night service if this is the case, but I applaud the possible change in mindset.

They are up for the (R) at another station in Manhattan where transfers are available to the (4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(Q) Lines, been there since mid-june for one of the metal route maps...

14-Union Sq? Hmm.

There's minimaps on the (R) at 34th and dekalb. I think they'll be quite helpful to the vast numbers of confused riders and people who seem to have trouble reading the map.

Almost every station served by the (R) in Manhattan has them, even if the platform is shared with the (N). Wonder why they're different from the joined (4)/(5) ones then.

For those interested, there's been a new format to the (R) line's maps. Nothing huge or monumental. Take a look:

c854db5e.jpg

And this was at the bottom of the map as a disclaimer:

bcef4c84.jpg

This was at Whitehall St and Jay St-Metrotech, at least. I'm sure any new station that gets it will probably have this format.