Studies Done By the DOT Regarding Service To LaGuardia, Queensboro Bridge Buses, and more!

checkmatechamp13

When it comes to service from 74th St to LGA, the best thing should be extending the Q47 to serve all of the terminals since it doesn't have to deal with the traffic along 82nd Street and Roosevelt Avenue. In addition, it's the most direct route to the 74th St terminal, thus making it the primary LGA-to-74th St route.

I get what you're saying, but unfortunately I don't agree.... for the simple fact that it would be too much of a backtrack to have to serve marine air, the main terminal area, back towards marine air, to travel back towards the 74th st bus terminal..... It's more feasible to have traffic moving away from the main terminal as it progresses (like the M60 inside LGA), as opposed to what you're suggesting the Q47 do..... Why do you think the Q48 (flushing bound) has the route that it does....

Q47 isn't all that reliable either.... buses have a tendency to go MIA on that route, if you're waiting inside LGA... and I see what it is....

What it is, is that you'll have a bus that'll idle at that second to last stop (1st stop inside LGA; think that's bowery bay av), to then hang a right to get to marine terminal road - Avoiding the marine terminal itself, to go pick up passengers at that stop along ditmars, just short of Astoria blvd (b/c that's where most the pax are)...

Some 47's will actually layover right at that ditmars/astoria stop w/o even goin inside airport property.....

I'm looking at the timetable...

no way do buses run every 8-10 mins on that route....

If you're ever around 74th st bus terminal, you'll notice the Q33 is the timeliest of the routes (don't think for a second the locals (riders) don't know this).... the 45 & the 47 have the same reliability rate (poor)... the 49 comes when it comes, but it's not as bad as it used to be, back when it was the 19b; a little more reliable now than the 45 & the 47....

You're right. You see plenty of people on the Q33 and Q72 (I haven't ridden the Q47 or Q48, but I'm sure it's the same story) who use the buses to get around their neighborhood, without ever using it to get to the airport. Let's face it: The majority of the people who use buses to get to the airport are the airport employees themselves.

Well, the M60 sees most the ridership into/out of the airport... then I'd say it's the Q33, Q72, Q48, and bringing up the rear is the Q47.... there's a huge dropoff b/w the Q72 & the Q48.....

Most the Q48 ridership is b/w 108th/northern & Flushing itself....

Or, rather than create a shuttle, you can just add some M60 short-turns. That, and maybe the MTA can market the M60 a bit more.

an M60 short turn would be equivalent to a shuttle; seldom anyone enters/exits along Astoria blvd (outside of Steinway st).... most cases, the M60 in Queens (manhattan bound) is a straight shot from ditmars blvd/astoria blvd to the Astoria blvd subway station....

I get what you're saying, but unfortunately I don't agree.... for the simple fact that it would be too much of a backtrack to have to serve marine air, the main terminal area, back towards marine air, to travel back towards the 74th st bus terminal..... It's more feasible to have traffic moving away from the main terminal as it progresses (like the M60 inside LGA), as opposed to what you're suggesting the Q47 do..... Why do you think the Q48 (flushing bound) has the route that it does....

Q47 isn't all that reliable either.... buses have a tendency to go MIA on that route, if you're waiting inside LGA... and I see what it is....

What it is, is that you'll have a bus that'll idle at that second to last stop (1st stop inside LGA; think that's bowery bay av), to then hang a right to get to marine terminal road - Avoiding the marine terminal itself, to go pick up passengers at that stop along ditmars, just short of Astoria blvd (b/c that's where most the pax are)...

Some 47's will actually layover right at that ditmars/astoria stop w/o even goin inside airport property.....

I'm looking at the timetable...

no way do buses run every 8-10 mins on that route....

If you're ever around 74th st bus terminal, you'll notice the Q33 is the timeliest of the routes (don't think for a second the locals (riders) don't know this).... the 45 & the 47 have the same reliability rate (poor)... the 49 comes when it comes, but it's not as bad as it used to be, back when it was the 19b; a little more reliable now than the 45 & the 47....

Easy, I would implement Q33's headways onto the Q47 (so it could serve all terminals and get more riders onto the Q33). This way, the Q33 could possibly merge with the Q29 and avoid the traffic along Roosevelt Avenue.

nope... he's (Hoodciti) spot on actually....

You're completely ignoring (or oblivious to) why the M60 gets the crowds it does w/i Manhattan, towards Queens....

As good an idea as sending Bx55's into Queens may sound.... You extend that route to LGA, and you will watch M60 ridership drop along 125th.... Don't think for a second that the majority of M60 riders that board in Manhattan, are from Manhattan; quite a bit of em take the subway (from the Bronx) down to 125th, for the M60 to the airport.....

Thank you B35 think about it yes the M60 is a success because in the same way Manhattan Passengers use the subway to get to M60 Bronx passengers do as well. If the Bx55 is extended one of two things may happen

1. M60 will loose some passengers and service gets reduced. or 2. the Bx55 to LGA is a failure because its easier to take the train to 125th.

As for service from LGA to the Bronx, I'd rather create a new route to Yankee Stadium (or possibly to Lenox Terminal to connect to the (3) train, thus allowing an alternative for Bronx-Harlem service), serving Melrose, Mott haven, The Hub, and the Courthouses. I would call this route either the Bx45 or Bx50. I'd rather send the Bx55 to Harlem or leave it alone in order to avoid more delays for 3rd Avenue riders.

I've always thought about a route that should run from Yankee Stadium/ Gateway Mall via the Courts to 149th/ 3rd Ave.,there is no direct connection..... then maybe over to Queens.

Also a little off topic I always thought some M2's should go to yankee stadium on game days.

Easy, I would implement Q33's headways onto the Q47 (so it could serve all terminals and get more riders onto the Q33). This way, the Q33 could possibly merge with the Q29 and avoid the traffic along Roosevelt Avenue.

For that idea to work, you would have to decrease service on the 33, not decrease Q47 headways to that of the current Q33....

Q47 NB more often than not, empties out once it gets to 25th av...

What you're suggesting to me right now, IMO, is too much bus service to the main terminal b/w 74th st bus terminal & LGA...... I would leave the 33 as is, and combine the 45 & the 47 (which is a separate issue).....

How about sending the (Q23) to LGA since the (Q48) is that bad?

The buses that cotb16 wants to add to the Q47 so that it also serves the main terminal, I would add to the Q23 instead.... I side with this idea of yours more....

I'd restruct service at/around LGA as follows:

- Q33 (main terminal), Q47 (marine air), M60 (main & marine air) - unchanged

- Q23: extended inside LGA full time, main terminal only... part time, buses will end outside the airport (current terminal)... In other words, I wouldn't have every single run enter the airport, but I would boost service overall on the Q23...

- Q48: ends right there where the Q69 does... service inside LGA eliminated...

[from 108th/northern, it would travel on northern til 102/103 sts, where it would then parallel the current Q23 to ditmars blvd/23rd.... then continue down 23rd av (providing bi-directional service where there currently isn't), where it would end at 82nd/astoria]

Basically, anyone from Flushing would be forced to transfer to get inside LGA.... If you ride the 48, you will have the option of xferring to the 23, 72, or the 47 (or the M60).... Currently, if you get off the Q23 & you want airport service, you're left solely at the mercy of the Q48...

MTA had plans for a Bx50 LIMITED between Fordham Road and LGA via Webster Avenue in the Bronx. This would have cut the double fare for many people (unless the M60 gets a three legged transfer) and relieved the crowding on the M60 bus. Bus was supposed to run from around 5am-1am.

For that idea to work, you would have to decrease service on the 33, not decrease Q47 headways to that of the current Q33....

Q47 NB more often than not, empties out once it gets to 25th av...

What you're suggesting to me right now, IMO, is too much bus service to the main terminal b/w 74th st bus terminal & LGA...... I would leave the 33 as is, and combine the 45 & the 47 (which is a separate issue).....

The buses that cotb16 wants to add to the Q47 so that it also serves the main terminal, I would add to the Q23 instead.... I side with this idea of yours more....

- Q23: extended inside LGA full time, main terminal only... part time, buses will end outside the airport (current terminal)... In other words, I wouldn't have every single run enter the airport, but I would boost service overall on the Q23...

[from 108th/northern, it would travel on northern til 102/103 sts, where it would then parallel the current Q23 to ditmars blvd/23rd.... then continue down 23rd av (providing bi-directional service where there currently isn't), where it would end at 82nd/astoria]

Basically, anyone from Flushing would be forced to transfer to get inside LGA.... If you ride the 48, you will have the option of xferring to the 23, 72, or the 47 (or the M60).... Currently, if you get off the Q23 & you want airport service, you're left solely at the mercy of the Q48...

Good ideas Ok but instead of combining Q45 with 47 why not have Q45 go non-stop to LGA via BQE as a variant of the 47. The trips can interline with Q47 or Q33 at LGA??? This way ppl have a faster alternative to the Q33/47 which are err slow. However I agree with most of these except the 45/47 merger.

MTA had plans for a Bx50 LIMITED between Fordham Road and LGA via Webster Avenue in the Bronx. This would have cut the double fare for many people (unless the M60 gets a three legged transfer) and relieved the crowding on the M60 bus. Bus was supposed to run from around 5am-1am.

Hence why simply extending Bx55 instead makes sense victory is mine!!! I had a feeling MTA already was thinking about such a route. To all the nay sayers YOU FAIL!!!!

Hence why simply extending Bx55 instead makes sense victory is mine!!! I had a feeling MTA already was thinking about such a route. To all the nay sayers YOU FAIL!!!!

Bx50 had the Bx41 and Bx41 LIMITED to help on Webster Avenue, Bx55 only had the Bx15 (above 163rd St).

Regular rush hour service wouldn't be affected since the Bx50 would be a new route added to Webster Avenue. Extending the Bx55 can mess with its reliability and make the Bx15 more crowded. Bx50 to LGA is not the same thing as Bx55 to LGA. Bx55 also goes to Gun Hill Road at times (some Bx55 buses can be delayed by Webster Avenue traffic), while the Bx50 would would have only went as far as Fordham Road.

Can LGA handle artics? A Bx21 or a Bx17 extension to LGA seems like a better idea than the Bx55 (since they go closer to the Triboro bridge and they run 7 days a week).

Good ideas Ok but instead of combining Q45 with 47 why not have Q45 go non-stop to LGA via BQE as a variant of the 47. The trips can interline with Q47 or Q33 at LGA??? This way ppl have a faster alternative to the Q33/47 which are err slow. However I agree with most of these except the 45/47 merger.

b/c everything isn't all about providing service to/from LGA....

To have the 45 run locally b/w Atlas mall & 74th st bus terminal, to then run non-stop to LGA, would be redundant to the 47..... stop overcomplicating things.... I'm not sure how many people you think are seeking service to LGA from 74th st terminal, but you might wanna tone it down.....

the 45/47 merger I brought up, has very little to do with service to/from the airport....

I specifically said that merger was a separate issue.... Read before you react.....

That "extension" is nothing but a foamer's dream. Sorry, but how extending the Bx55 is going to help the M60 in any way? Leave the route alone, it's fine operating from Fordham/Williamsbridge to The Hub. Have you ever taken the M60 by any chance?

I have and it would help take pressure off the M60 since you don't have the people who are fighting to get to 125th Street from the Bronx.

Thank you B35 think about it yes the M60 is a success because in the same way Manhattan Passengers use the subway to get to M60 Bronx passengers do as well. If the Bx55 is extended one of two things may happen

1. M60 will loose some passengers and service gets reduced. or 2. the Bx55 to LGA is a failure because its easier to take the train to 125th.

I dont see how 125th Street is less complicated than The Hub, but taking pressure off the M60 (and simultaneously 125th Street) won't necessarily be a bad thing.

Having said that, current traffic issues along 3rd Avenue/The Hub/RFK Bridge into the Grand Central Parkway poses a significant threat to any route that goes from The Bronx to LGA.

Don't get too wet down there buddy.....

By the way, having a route that goes along Astoria Boulevard to LGA without a connection to the (N)(Q) is ill advised.

It was NEVER your idea!!! Stop taking credit for shit you didn't do!

I like those ideas. However, I would make the (Q48) go up 108 St to 23 Av to 82 St

It was NEVER your idea!!! Stop taking credit for shit you didn't do!

lol !!

Alex, I'll take "planets" for $1000...

can I get a I told ya so...

I like those ideas. However, I would make the (Q48) go up 108 St to 23 Av to 82 St

props.

and true... can't go wrong w/ keeping it on 108th.

I remember somebody on strappies (somebody named Clearview) suggesting the following:

Eliminate the Q32

Extend the Q33 to 48th Street/Queens Blvd

Extend the Q104 to Penn Station from 48th Street/Queens Blvd

The logic is that this would provide service from the Woodside LIRR station to LaGuardia. Plus, it would give riders on the southern part of Queens Blvd the advantage of not dealing with a bus that gets caught in traffic on Roosevelt Avenue.

I remember somebody on strappies (somebody named Clearview) suggesting the following:

Eliminate the Q32

Extend the Q33 to 48th Street/Queens Blvd

Extend the Q104 to Penn Station from 48th Street/Queens Blvd

The logic is that this would provide service from the Woodside LIRR station to LaGuardia. Plus, it would give riders on the southern part of Queens Blvd the advnatage of not dealing with a bus that gets caught in traffic on Roosevelt Avenue.

oh lord, not that NIMBY....

the same dude that wanted to leave his precious QM2/a alone, but wanted to kill off most the express bus service that travels along Queens blvd (including all the SE queens expresses)...

are you sure that was his intent? I don't remember him mentioning anything about LGA.... his whole thing was eliminating as much express bus service that paralleled Queens Blvd, for the purpose of forcing them onto the subway... to support his local bus ideas....

Via Garibaldi would've loved that guy !

I did NOT take credit for it I am simply saying that the extension makes sense thats all ok :cool:

You say it like it was. The (Bx55) to LGA will never happen. The way I see it, the Bx55 may be eliminated in the near future ;)

Archived