Anthony Weiner Will Resign

R68 Subway Car

Weiner does seem to be mostly liberal. However, he did have the slightly-conservative slant that won with the mostly-conservative, old-school district that he once represented. The more liberal districts are neighboring Weiner's, since they have heavy minority representations (ex. Joseph Crowley's 7th District covers heavily-Hispanic Jackson Heights and the Southeast Bronx such as Soundview, Coop City, Castle Hill, and Throggs Neck).

I see what you are saying.

Liberal, right-wing, conservative... I don't give a flying **** about these stupid labels. All politicians are the same. I don't see the dollar's value going back up, I don't see people getting jobs, I don't see anything being done to help the poor change their situation for the better. And I sure as hell don't see them lobbying for anything good.

They're the ones giving massive kickbacks to friends and friends of friends and "fellow party members..." I gotta ask Mangano why he hooked Al D'Amato's daughter with a cushy six-figure job while the county's ****ing broke. And then this clown just goes and struts his stuff to, of all people, some random teenage girl. I should sue for emotional damage, seeing that all over ABC 7 Thursday made my eyes hurt.

People voted for Rangel based on name recognition. He hasn't done anything for his constituents. As for Weiner, the punishment definitely didn't fit the crime.

Not to mention his opponent in 2010, Adam Clayton Powell IV, wasn't any better. He was caught for Driving While Intoxicated and had issues involving campaign funds as well.

In addition, the powerful churches of Harlem play a big role in Rangel's popularity. Even if the district also includes Washington Heights, Inwood, Morningside Heights, and East Harlem, Central Harlem's voting numbers usually outnumber those of the aforementioned communities in the 15th Congressional District.

The only way for Rangel to be defeated is if in the next redistricting round the next year, his district is drastically altered to include whites on the Upper West Side or to include a few residents from the Bronx (specifically Riverdale, since Jose Serrano wouldn't want to give up parts of the West or South Bronx). However, because of Rangel's seniority and the use of the Voting Rights Act (which increases minority districts), he would oppose both, even if some of his district (namely Washington Heights) has had population losses in the 2010 Census (due to attempts at gentrification because of landlords bullying and eventually evicting low-income Hispanic and Black tenants).

People voted for Rangel based on name recognition. He hasn't done anything for his constituents. As for Weiner, the punishment definitely didn't fit the crime.

Agreed on the Rangel thing.

Weiner - well, any rational [maybe humble] person would've figured it would've been better to call it quits before the scandal broke out to the level it became. Hell at this point what that GOP person did [took a pic of himself shirtless] was like "g-rated" compared to how graphic Weiner was in taking pics of his 'namesake'.

I dare say [based on what a loudmouth he was in 'talking down' on his fellow congressmen over issues] he allowed this all to drag on for the attention. Sure maybe this sounds 'simple minded', but why would anyone even want to stay in office after all that embarassment? No one would take such a person seriously anymore over it.

You [in general] would have to be really full of it if you were to stay on the job and coworkers either mocking or ostracizing you for the duration of the term. Hell if even the PotUS says he'd step down over it, you know you are finished.

Archived