Students don't know much about US history

R68 Subway Car

R68, I dunno what your experience was like learning this stuff in school. But mine was downright torture. There wasn't any real engagement from the teacher. I'd walk into my class with a blackboard filled with notes end to end. And we had to have those written down by the end of the class. That was I believe Sophomore year in high school.

I only ever had one history professor I liked in freshmen year. So any knowledge I have about american (or any history for that matter) is from him because he bothered to make it worth learning. A lot of this professors and teachers like to sit at the desk and talk. With kids it just doesn't work. Yes it's not the greatest thing but truth is truth. If you want someone to learn something you gotta get their attention and make them want to learn it. I can't stand these teachers that sit and talk on and on with a Doctor Neumman type voice and expect me to stay awake.

R68, I dunno what your experience was like learning this stuff in school. But mine was downright torture. There wasn't any real engagement from the teacher. I'd walk into my class with a blackboard filled with notes end to end. And we had to have those written down by the end of the class. That was I believe Sophomore year in high school.

I only ever had one history professor I liked in freshmen year. So any knowledge I have about american (or any history for that matter) is from him because he bothered to make it worth learning. A lot of this professors and teachers like to sit at the desk and talk. With kids it just doesn't work. Yes it's not the greatest thing but truth is truth. If you want someone to learn something you gotta get their attention and make them want to learn it. I can't stand these teachers that sit and talk on and on with a Doctor Neumman type voice and expect me to stay awake.

You've got a point, but the student also has to want to learn, so it works both ways.

You've got a point, but the student also has to want to learn, so it works both ways.

Which I addressed in my post. Sometimes a person can walk into a class expecting it to be a waste of time and not wanna be there. But then they find that the person teaching the subject can do it in such a way that it grabs their attention. The interest isn't always gonna be there. But that doesn't mean it can't be brought about.

Could not say it better and agree to a point. We as Teachers are under huge pressure to perform.Yet in NY state and across the nation, the state governments wants to lay off ten of thousands of teachers?:eek:

Another part of the problem is the textbooks/videos, etc. used. Majority of time when I am in for the regular teacher I play videos which often are so boring even I have a hard time staying focus and awake.:eek:

Real talk... I was good at history, but hated taking history related classes.... History is good to know, but to keep my interest, it has to be something practical.... Something I can tangibly use/implement & see how "the result" comes to pass... as opposed to someone tellin me "back on July 4th, 1776, the Declaration of Independence came to pass".... Good to know, but I can't relate to it....

There's no right & wrong here as to whether you prefer math/science over english/social studies, or vice versa.....

as for not knowin about US history.... my opinion is probably 100% biased, but I think it has to do w/ the particular child's interest level... not on a "to hell with school, period" level, but on a "I prefer one subject over another" level....

funny thing about history w/ me is, I learned more about US history from street dudes, more than I have from any history teacher I ever had.... Presentation (how it's taught) also may have somethin to do with it.....

It's a real mix of things. But I find in class, I'm basically looking to connect with the professor...which sounds weird the way that's typed up. But if he/she can't reach me to stay engaged in the topics. I just lose all interest. If I'm gonna have someone sit like a drone and read the passages to me...i might as well ditch class read the book and show up for the tests...

You have a great point.

Could not say it better and agree to a point. We as Teachers are under huge pressure to perform.Yet in NY state and across the nation, the state governments wants to lay off ten of thousands of teachers?:eek:

Another part of the problem is the textbooks/videos, etc. used. Majority of time when I am in for the regular teacher I play videos which often are so boring even I have a hard time staying focus and awake.:eek:

Whenever I did teach, I always taught adults older than me or my age and they were paying to take Italian or Spanish courses w/me so clearly it was their loss if they didn't show up, not mine, as I was paid just the same regardless. Then you'd have the ones that would b*tch about getting homework. This one chick goes "WHAT??? Homework??" I told her "You don't have to do it you know. I mean I already know the language". I mean with adults it's a little easier because they don't have to babied as much usually, plus there's really no pressure, so I'd come to class and crack some jokes while teaching and it really made things interesting.

Some of my students would hang out and go get a bite w/me afterwards.

Actually I did have a couple of good social studies in both middle and high school that I learned alot. One of the teachers back in the late '80's when David Dinkins was elected Mayor of NYC, even 'predicted' correctly that within 30-40 years(this was in 1989-'90) America would have a Black or Hispanic US President.

I also learned alot from 'different people' and also watching tv documentaries and films on historic events from the Civil War(1990 Ken Burns special being an example)that my Mom and sister love to watch. So I been lucky to have learned US/World History from different sources from a couple of good teachers to tv shows/movies and the 'street' LOL as well.

And Bro(B35) you make some good points on why our kids 'tune out' history.

Real talk... I was good at history, but hated taking history related classes.... History is good to know, but to keep my interest, it has to be something practical.... Something I can tangibly use/implement & see how "the result" comes to pass... as opposed to someone tellin me "back on July 4th, 1776, the Declaration of Independence came to pass".... Good to know, but I can't relate to it....

There's no right & wrong here as to whether you prefer math/science over english/social studies, or vice versa.....

as for not knowin about US history.... my opinion is probably 100% biased, but I think it has to do w/ the particular child's interest level... not on a "to hell with school, period" level, but on a "I prefer one subject over another" level....

funny thing about history w/ me is, I learned more about US history from street dudes, more than I have from any history teacher I ever had.... Presentation (how it's taught) also may have somethin to do with it.....

Andrew this is old news.
It's not even old news if the report was written 2 days ago.

Anyways, I remember US History in high school as if it were yesterday. Most of the students were talkative instead of paying attention to the class itself. For one school year, our US History teacher provided us 5-7 questions from a specific chapter and expected us to use a textbook to find the answers. Then he would reveal the answers towards the end of class. Little actually did the work (including me), and from what I saw 2 years ago, no one really cared enough about the class, so they just wasted their time socializing until class ended.

It's not even old news if the report was written 2 days ago.

I meant to say to R68 aka Andrew that this report re-confirms other previous studies/reports over the last few years that a majority of our kids don't know US/World History. That why i said it was 'old news.'

Here's a video that proves the point.

Okay, those people were just either really dumb or really out of touch with history. I probably could have been asked all of those questions, and gotten the right answer. Just goes to show how naiive people can be. :(

....Because its too much off this going on; "Pass me the dutchie witcha left hand, i got ma polo t n imya best man".

dis bwoy chat bout di dutchie an ting all a dem puff puff, buh neglect bad mon strap wit di heat pon him waaiiist inna di school yaad....

mek mi mek grin what mi see on di screen here, ya kno....

only his'try bad mind people know bout is gunshot wha go BOOM BOOM BOOM make man lay stiff on di pavement....

Archived