Students don't know much about US history

R68 Subway Car

Quick. Who became the youngest US President in History?

1)Barack Obama

2)Bill Clinton

3)John F Kennedy

4)Teddy Roosevelt

lolz really??? Well R68 said the answer...I may be clumsy but I'm not stupid.

1)Barack Obama

2)Bill Clinton

3)John F Kennedy

4)Teddy Roosevelt

It's (4), and i swear I did not use any sources. Oh wait, R68 already said the answer? Dang.... Can you ask another?

I like how people in Europe and Australia specially TV think that all Americans are dumb,it just shows there ignorance, even some European don't know there history.

To be fair, that's just joining in on the way educated, generally politically "liberal" Americans laugh at a stereotype of a God-and-guns redneck American.

It's (4), and i swear I did not use any sources. Oh wait, R68 already said the answer? Dang.... Can you ask another?

Sure. Here it goes. Name the only man (to date) who became President of the United States without ever been elected by the people first as either Commander in Chief or Vice President?

Sure. Here it goes. Name the only man (to date) who became President of the United States without ever been elected by the people first as either Commander in Chief or Vice President?

Gerald Ford. He became VP when Spiro Agnew resigned, and then President when Nixon did the same.

Correct.

YAY!!!!

My question:

Which person is the only one in american history to serve as both President of the US and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?

It's called Prohibition, and it's spelled alcohol, and Prohibition ended in the US in 1933. That was when the 21st Amendment was passed to repeal the 18th Amendment. It was repealed due to fact of the high crime rate, and speakeasies that were created during the Prohibition era. Plus it was the Great Depression & everyone just wanted to drink away their miseries.

It's called Prohibition, and it's spelled alcohol, and Prohibition ended in the US in 1933. That was when the 21st Amendment was passed to repeal the 18th Amendment. It was repealed due to fact of the high crime rate, and speakeasies that were created during the Prohibition era. Plus it was the Great Depression & everyone just wanted to drink away their miseries.

Correct.:tup:

Okay here's one. The Dutch bought Manhattan for $24. I'm not going to even bother asking the true or false question, as hopefully it's obvious that the Dutch didn't have a stack of greenbacks to hand.

So:

1) What amount did the Dutch actually pay? In what currency was it denominated?

2) In which year was this converted to $24?

3) To the nearest $5, how much is that in 2010 dollars?

4) And note the word "yet". Which part of the Netherlands uses the U.S. Dollar as its currency?

Interesting fact, but Prohibition only outlawwed the production, transportation, and selling of alcohol, not the consumption. So if you were caught at a speakeasy downing some moonshine, only the bartender would be arrested. (Though they could arrest you for public drunkenness, but that law was always around)

Here's a video that proves the point.

Here's another one.

To be honest, there were a couple of things I didn't know. For example, I know offhand that the 9/11 attacks occurred in NYC, Washington DC, and a town in Pennsylvania, but I don't know offhand the name of the town.

In the first video, there were 2 or 3 questions that I missed.

Real talk... I was good at history, but hated taking history related classes.... History is good to know, but to keep my interest, it has to be something practical.... Something I can tangibly use/implement & see how "the result" comes to pass... as opposed to someone tellin me "back on July 4th, 1776, the Declaration of Independence came to pass".... Good to know, but I can't relate to it....

There's no right & wrong here as to whether you prefer math/science over english/social studies, or vice versa.....

as for not knowin about US history.... my opinion is probably 100% biased, but I think it has to do w/ the particular child's interest level... not on a "to hell with school, period" level, but on a "I prefer one subject over another" level....

funny thing about history w/ me is, I learned more about US history from street dudes, more than I have from any history teacher I ever had.... Presentation (how it's taught) also may have somethin to do with it.....

I agree that presentation (and how comfortable you feel with the person teaching the subject) plays a big factor. For example, I'm not really into history, but I remember that in 5th grade, 9th grade, and 10th grade, I had teachers who really connected with us regarding the subjects. In 5th grade, he actually jumped onto the desks and shouted to get the points across. In 9th grade, she was just an easygoing teacher, and this year, the teacher was easygoing and tried to get certain points across (since he was in the Navy at one point, he was able to use real-life examples, and he was a less dramatic version of my 5th grade teacher)

A more drastic example is English and Italian. In 8th grade, the teacher was fairly kind and easy-going and I enjoyed the class and felt I learned more. In middle school (I had the same teacher for 3 years in a row), the teacher was a b*tch, but in high school, the teacher was more easygoing and I felt I learned more.

Whenever I did teach, I always taught adults older than me or my age and they were paying to take Italian or Spanish courses w/me so clearly it was their loss if they didn't show up, not mine, as I was paid just the same regardless. Then you'd have the ones that would b*tch about getting homework. This one chick goes "WHAT??? Homework??" I told her "You don't have to do it you know. I mean I already know the language". I mean with adults it's a little easier because they don't have to babied as much usually, plus there's really no pressure, so I'd come to class and crack some jokes while teaching and it really made things interesting.

Some of my students would hang out and go get a bite w/me afterwards.

I'm going to be honest: For smart students, I don't see the point in collecting the homework or forcing them to do the work in the class. The point of going taking the class is to come away with a certain amount of knowledge, but if you already know the stuff, there is no point in doing homework or classwork that discusses the topic.

One of my friends got a 75 in Spanish, even though he knew the language. The reason why his average was (needlessly IMO) lowered was because he didn't do any of his homework, but he got 100 on every test.

When I took my College Now class, my teacher almost exclusively counted tests and projects (I think he counted attendance and lateness a little bit, because I got a 95, when I had over 95 on all of the tests, with extra credit to boot). He gave a list of homework assignments, but I never did them because I felt confident that I knew the material.

It's not even old news if the report was written 2 days ago.

Anyways, I remember US History in high school as if it were yesterday. Most of the students were talkative instead of paying attention to the class itself. For one school year, our US History teacher provided us 5-7 questions from a specific chapter and expected us to use a textbook to find the answers. Then he would reveal the answers towards the end of class. Little actually did the work (including me), and from what I saw 2 years ago, no one really cared enough about the class, so they just wasted their time socializing until class ended.

I remember a little while ago, there was a similar thread. I remember the first video (where the people thought Iran and North Korea were in Australia).

1)Barack Obama

2)Bill Clinton

3)John F Kennedy

4)Teddy Roosevelt

Without looking at the answer which was a few posts down, I knew it is Teddy Roosevelt. JFK was the youngest elected president (I believe he was 43 and TR was 42)

Knowing US history is not just about being able to google and quote irrelevant "fun facts" about history. It is about understanding the values and forces that shaped American history and understanding things in a cause and effect environment. The point of learning history is to avoid repeating its mistakes, and only in this context can that be done.

Okay here's one. The Dutch bought Manhattan for $24. I'm not going to even bother asking the true or false question, as hopefully it's obvious that the Dutch didn't have a stack of greenbacks to hand.

So:

Maybe that one was a bit difficult. Anyway, the answers are:

1) What amount did the Dutch actually pay? In what currency was it denominated?

60 Guilders.

2) In which year was this converted to $24?

3) To the nearest $5, how much is that in 2010 dollars?

$575

4) And note the word "yet". Which part of the Netherlands uses the U.S. Dollar as its currency?

The three special municipalities of Bonaire, Saba, and Sint Eustatius. They're in the Caribbean.

Maybe that one was a bit difficult. Anyway, the answers are:

60 Guilders.

$575

The three special municipalities of Bonaire, Saba, and Sint Eustatius. They're in the Caribbean.

You can pay in Dollars in Sint Maarten as well, despite them having their own currency, The Dutch Guilder. I know this because I was there last month

Sint Maarten is one of the four constituent countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The other three are Aruba, Curaçao, and the Netherlands. Therefore Sint Maarten isn't technically part of the Netherlands. (And yes, the nomenclature is confusing.)

Archived