MTA driver suspended for the 15th time after using express bus as private meeting room with gal pal

LRG

A bungling bus driver with a disciplinary record a mile long used his express bus as a private lounge to meet a lady friend while on duty, an investigation has found.

Edward Meehan - who had racked up 14 suspensions for speeding, running red lights and other infractions - was suspended for the 15th time last week for the unauthorized get-togethers, authorities said.

The New Jersey man was supposed to steer his express bus to his assigned MTA depot in Staten Island after dropping off commuters in Manhattan.

Investigators say Meehan, 45, made a detour in April - more than once. He parked his passengerless coach on a quiet, treelined avenue in Staten Island - where his gal pal boarded the big rig, an investigative report says.

"He claims they were just talking," said a source familiar with the investigation by Metropolitan Transportation Authority Inspector General Barry Kluger's office. "He said he was going through a hard time and she's a friend."

After two of the rendezvous on the X22 bus, Meehan claimed he was delayed about an hour by traffic - and even filed for overtime at his Charleston Depot. There was at least one other onboard session, but Meehan didn't seek the higher pay for it, the report states.

The NYC Transit division suspended Meehan without pay last week, officials said.

From his condo in Howell, N.J., Meehan denied any hanky-panky on his vehicle and called the incidents "a misunderstanding."

"I was just talking to a friend for a little while," he said. "I'm happily married."

The agency is moving to fire him.

NYC Transit hired Meehan in 1999, but he resigned the following year after being questioned about his absenteeism, the agency said yesterday.

Meehan took another bus operator's exam in 2002 and was hired several years later off a Civil Service list, the agency said. A transit official said the agency's ability to reject Meehan's application was hampered by Civil Service rules.

Until last week, Meehan had been suspended 14 times but managed to stay on the payroll, the report states. Bosses in October 2008 charged him with speeding and "gross misconduct." They tried to fire him, but a contract arbitrator on appeal reduced the penalty to a 25-day suspension, authorities said.

Kluger's office launched an investigation after a Staten Island tipster reported seeing bus No. 4314 on North Gannon Ave., between Ingram and Warwick Aves., on April 12, 19 and 22.

Each time, the same woman left after at least 20 or 30 minutes onboard, walked to a car and drove off, according to the report.

"We believe, based on all the facts, he should be terminated," Kluger told the Daily News. "This is an example of why people should come to this office with information whether they think it's big or small, important or not important. As you can see from this, there can be significant results."

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/16/2011-06-16_face_it__yer_soooo_busted_li_mta_driver_used_ride_to_meet_up_with_gal_pal_li_sus.html

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eeeeww. This knucklehead really should have used more sense than to park his bus in the public view and let a woman on. I have never seen an EXP driver let anyone but another B/O, dispatcher, or MTA personnel come on a bus while on lay-over. What an idiot.

LMAO... Well the next time my express bus is MIA, I can include hanky panky as yet another reason. And everyone wonders why the (MTA) wants to have tracking on all of their buses...

This is one of the main reasons many TA's across the country have GPS trackers now. Detroit had a major problem with bus drivers going MIA, drinking, smoking and everything else on the buses. Some drivers would even disappear for a whole round-trip!

"The following feature is rated NC-17/XXX" :eek:

;)

What about a local bus?

The seats are too hard!:)

ROFL...you guys are too much! Yeah I know a driver or two that smokes during their layover but that shouldn't be the problem unless it's something OTHER than cigarettes....

ROFL...you guys are too much! Yeah I know a driver or two that smokes during their layover but that shouldn't be the problem unless it's something OTHER than cigarettes....

There was one B/O that did one of the 6:10 or 6:15 QM1a runs last year that must have smoked on the bus when he got it from the depot, because it stunk from smoke as you entered the bus. Never understood how he got away with it. The passengers loved him, though, since he was very good, so I guess no one reported him lol.

This is why the MTA needs GPS on its buses, so that it knows where its buses are at all times, and if a driver is late for a legitimate reason or for no reason at all. Those obeying the rules would have no issue...and you would only need a road dispatcher on demand, as the buses could all be tracked from a central location. As a property owner, the MTA has that right.

That's how the M16/34 and B63 work currently, and aside from 7560-7589, all buses purchased and owned new by the MTA since 2008 have GPS capability on them.

This is one of the main reasons many TA's across the country have GPS trackers now. Detroit had a major problem with bus drivers going MIA, drinking, smoking and everything else on the buses. Some drivers would even disappear for a whole round-trip!

Does NJT plan to do anything similar? Their buses are usually pretty good though, at least the expresses that I take anyway. There is less fat in their system, so a bus that goes MIA would really be felt big time. They also seem to have a better handle of things in general.

Archived