Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
traildriver

Diesel powered work trains

I have wondered why they use diesel locomotives in the subways for various work trains. Are they really necessary? Are there non-third rail tracks in the yards that require their use?

It seems to me that the 'garbage trains' and other work trains could use either converted retired subway cars, or some third rail powered electric locomotive to pull the relatively light and short work trains.

The locomotives used admittedly are fairly quiet, and seem to be fairly light 'smokers', but I find them while interesting from a fan's viewpoint, otherwise annoying to waiting passengers on platforms.

I had thought that NYC fire codes prohibited the commuter roads from using them in river tunnels, hence their dual-powered types. Seems like the TA is exempt from that rule?

They do have electric locomotives (E01-E10) that mostly stay in Westchester Yard in the BX they hardly come out and go down in to the B div as of what I see mostly but there are more diesel locomotives then electric locomotives

Responses in bold:

I have wondered why they use diesel locomotives in the subways for various work trains. Are they really necessary?

Yes, they are necessary to pull Crane Cars & Flatbeds that contain rails, ties and all sorts of stuff.

Are there non-third rail tracks in the yards that require their use?

Mostly everything in the yards has 3rd rail, except for the Linden Shops, which is kind of a yard in some sorts.

It seems to me that the 'garbage trains' and other work trains could use either converted retired subway cars, or some third rail powered electric locomotive to pull the relatively light and short work trains.

Well a nice amount of the refuse collection trains use R32s & Redbirds.

The locomotives used admittedly are fairly quiet, and seem to be fairly light 'smokers', but I find them while interesting from a fan's viewpoint, otherwise annoying to waiting passengers on platforms.

I had thought that NYC fire codes prohibited the commuter roads from using them in river tunnels, hence their dual-powered types. Seems like the TA is exempt from that rule?

Why do they move so slow can't they move any faster just wondering?

The reason they move so slow is because of the power of the engine in them, and the limit of the length, width & height of them which is why they can't get more powerful engines. But IMO, they move fast enough, if you have two coupled up together.

Why do they move so slow can't they move any faster just wondering?

According to NYCT rules,

Work Trains operating over Main Line Tracks are not to exceed the maximum allowable speed of

twenty five (25) Miles Per Hour on straight track and fifteen (15) Miles Per Hour on curves.

Responses in bold:

The reason they move so slow is because of the power of the engine in them, and the limit of the length, width & height of them which is why they can't get more powerful engines. But IMO, they move fast enough, if you have two coupled up together.

Yes the loads do count and when they have together with the rider car btw the loco's it's called a POWERPACK but they can move so crews just slowly kill time and get more pay sometimes

they have a CUMMINS NT380 which pushes out 300HP (not alot)

and if they were using redbirds, they couldnt really as a redbird isnt that strong enough to pull those heavy cranes and such...

Yes the loads do count and when they have together with the rider car btw the loco's it's called a POWERPACK but they can move so crews just slowly kill time and get more pay sometimes

hahaha I see where your getting...