Transit Looks Into Feasibility of Upgrading Older Fleet

Guest Lance

So what are they up to? Are they turning the R62's, and R68's signs into something similar to the LCD signs on the R44's and R46's? Or is it going to be based off the LCD's of the R160's?

This (R46's)

d600ada67a1b72b659e9ebaf93d7_grande.jpg

Or is it this (R160's)

Image022.jpg

I'll put money on the latter.

But this is for the cars those R142As and R188s are replacing, not the line.

If they go through with this, why don't they go whole hog and completely overhaul the things... new interior design and everything, something akin to what Eric B suggested. Or would that be too cost-prohibitive?

Its funny since the (7) actually wasn't mentioned in the article. B)

The old saying fits perfectly, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

True, though you don't want to get to the point where it gets broken and its hella-expensive to fix.

As for automated announcements, 20 years ago already:eek: they had wired a 68 on the (Q6Av) with it!

There is also space in the 68's at least, for some of the same computer equipment the NTT's have. There were tests done with 2500-3 several years ago, while the 143's were just coming in. So you actually had a (L) T/O job that started at CIYD and worked with a 68 on the mainlines all day.

I read somewhere about that, on SubChat I think. Was there any videos or audio taken of it? Was it the same voices that were on the R110B, or did they use some of the future (present) announcers?

However won't they give the R68's, and the R62's the sky blue seat treatment? They did the same thing to the R44's on the SIR. If they do I won't really like that due to the fact it will take away leg room.

You know what I am talking about. (R44's SIR treatment)

SIR_R44_SMS_Interior_Daylight_m.jpg

Won't they give the R62's the same seats the R142's have?

250px-R142_interior.jpg

I knew I forgot something earlier...

Here's the official document from the (MTA).

http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/rfi/9003sol.pdf

Like Eric B said, it's looks like a possible midlife overhaul for the R62(a)s and R68(a)s.

Funny, it mentions the side exterior signs and interior signs, but not end signs.

Also, forgot to mention, this will be good for OPTO lines like the (G) and (H), since they apparently won't put NTT's on them.

I read somewhere about that, on SubChat I think. Was there any videos or audio taken of it? Was it the same voices that were on the R110B, or did they use some of the future (present) announcers?
I remember it was a female. Not sure if it was the same as the ones today. Probably not, but didn't sound that different.

What a waste of money! I swear!! These are THE SAME people who complaint over fare hikes and THEY ARE GONNA GET MORE IN THE FUTURE!! For BS spendings like this!

If the (MTA) even has a PUBLIC HEARING about this, I will be there.. Im against this!

What is your ears dirty and can't hear?! Clean them ya got damn foul! Then you will get a good announcement!

Spend the money on important things, such as station rehab or lowering the cost for fares! Not this!

SMGDFH X 100! =__________________________________________=!!!!

I say keep the roll-signs on the R-62/As and R-68/As as its. I don't mind the seats turning blue, but that's it. No need to turn old train cars into NTTs. That's all I'll say. I do agree that the announcements on the R-68s are kinda shoddy in some parts.

However won't they give the R68's, and the R62's the sky blue seat treatment? They did the same thing to the R44's on the SIR. If they do I won't really like that due to the fact it will take away leg room.

250px-R142_interior.jpg

If there is a God then I hope they DON'T do that to the R62/a and R68/a. I don't want the whole system to look bland and sterile.

I heard that this will be happening. In the next few months they will be testing a system that is used in Chicago. One of the problems with that system though, the T/O or C/R must use the system interface for the anouncment to play. In other words, it's like having an iPod docked to the PA system and you must press next every time for the next anoucment to play. It's nothing like what the NTTs have now.

250px-R142_interior.jpg

I'v seen one R68A with the blue seat.

Digital signs a la R44/R46 are fine. Blue seats are stupid. They look out of place and stupid on the R44/R46s and while they won't look as bad on the R62/R68, there's no need for it. I miss the bullets and colors and the positioning of them, I don't care for the all-red digital signs at all. They are small and not as easy to see as the old bullets and lack the color identifiers.

I say keep the roll-signs on the R-62/As and R-68/As as its. I don't mind the seats turning blue, but that's it. No need to turn old train cars into NTTs. That's all I'll say. I do agree that the announcements on the R-68s are kinda shoddy in some parts.

Digital signs a la R44/R46 are fine. Blue seats are stupid. They look out of place and stupid on the R44/R46s and while they won't look as bad on the R62/R68, there's no need for it. I miss the bullets and colors and the positioning of them, I don't care for the all-red digital signs at all. They are small and not as easy to see as the old bullets and lack the color identifiers.

That how i feel. A minor 'midlife' upgrade to the R62/R68's making 'minor' adjustments like LCD is fine. The other bells and whistles like automated annoucements on these 25-year old plus cars is a waste of money.

I know foamers on here will be screaming. My take is that if this amount to a 'midlife' rebuliding' of the R-62's and R-68's that saves the (MTA) hundred of millions over buying added new trains for a bit. It also helpful as the remaining R32's and R42's in next couple of years are retired forever, so be it.

Not to mention finally put 'bucket seats' on the (1)(3) and (7) lines the lines that still have R-62's.

A train like the (B) since it goes to multi terminals doing the day, really does need at least the LCD signs.

So buddy Princelex got to disagree on that one.

How many trains have lasted as long as they have without all this digitalized stuff on it? You use the R32's as an example, that train is a few years from 50 years old and it STILL doesn't have any digital stuff (that we can see) on it. Good maintenance on ANY vehicle will keep that bad boy running and those R62's and R68's will run past 40 years with the right kind of care so I don't buy that they need to do stuff like that to keep it running that much longer. The people in the stations need to be on top of their job with the rollsigns. Besides, even with the LCD on the R46's and R142-160's, the riders still don't read what's on there, so what's the point in changing anything? That's my issue with this.

This is interesting but keep things original its fine the way they are now.It would be nice to have LCD or LED signs for the R-68/A or 62/A but the rollsigns are ALWAYS working they may not be correct but listen to crew announcements lol.

No Its Actually Better To Upgrade The Aging Hippo's (R68's) And Bald Heads (R62's). It Would Be Cool To See Some Mutated SMEE Trains In Service. Or As I Say Semi-SMEE-NTT. If It Actually Gets Done And They Get Upgraded To NTT's It Will Be So Cool. But Some People Will Be Tight That The Hippo's Will Get Upgraded. CoughdanythecoolCough.

Well Thats My Two Cents

SMEE Trains Upgraded Or Converted To NTT's WOW :drool::drool::drool:

No Its Actually Better To Upgrade The Aging Hippo's (R68's) And Bald Heads (R62's). It Would Be Cool To See Some Mutated SMEE Trains In Service. Or As I Say Semi-SMEE-NTT. If It Actually Gets Done And They Get Upgraded To NTT's It Will Be So Cool. But Some People Will Be Tight That The Hippo's Will Get Upgraded. CoughdanythecoolCough.

Well Thats My Two Cents

SMEE Trains Upgraded Or Converted To NTT's WOW :drool::drool::drool:

They'll still be SMEE,just upgraded.

Archived