Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Another Broadway Junction Timer

R44 CNG

Another thread about Another timer at Broadway Junction.

Here is how I think timers were put into the MTA (correct me if I'm work MTA workers)

1. MTA had so much extra money before they didn't care about anything.

2. They put in timers cause they had so much extra money. They went on a spending spree for anything even useless crap like timers.

3. Now that they all ran out of money (or so they say) it's over for the spree.

Again that's my FANTASY opinion B)

Why do they keep slowing down (A) express service with these timers? Years before there were hardly any timers on the (A) line, so what is the problem now. It makes the (A) exp slower then the loc trains. They killing that line mainly in Brooklyn now.

Well, the one before Nostrand S/B was to slow trains down slightly so they don't overrun the station. However that wasn't track geometry's fault, it was T/O braking too late into the station (with train power the way it is today there isn't a station in the system underground that one can't make the station braking at the head of the station). That being said, I was told that it is impossible to hit that one, and indeed it clears on the post (about 40-42 for a GT35). I bring it down to about 35 in case one day they do slow it down I'm not going to be the poster boy. However afterwards I wrap it back and still hit the plat at 40. 42nd S/B is a faster station IMO than Nostrand.

Utica's S/B timer was the same idea, but that one clears at roughly 35, but even after wrapping it back can still hit that plat at 36-37. Again the culprit was stupid T/O in the past braking too late in that station, even tho its upgrade toward the end the downgrade is steeper, and the majority of the train is still going down. It's even deceptive to me sometimes and I end up taking more at the end than I thought to make the marker.

Utica's N/B same idea, and it does clear at a rather comfortable 27 or so, usually just coast easily into the station and its a 2 shot.

Both Broadway Junctions make no sense at all, as do both at High St. I understand why the one at High N/B was put in, as its a 31mph curve and everyone kept it wrapped as far as I know, but then put in GT35 not GT20 like whats there now. The idea of the High S/B was to slow trains coming into Jay, but ya still thunder into there at 32-33 instead of 35-36, big deal.

The biggest lurking problem with the (A) timers is that many are in areas that weren't meant to be timed. The faster 2-shot timers in the system are in at distances that allow a T/O to slow the train down in time. Think of the GT40s on the CPW express, got an eternity to slow it down in case you take one too fast (and literally have to take it above 42 for it not to clear while ur gradually braking), even got a little distance in the 60th tube. That is not the case in the (A) line, especially at Nostrand and Utica S/B. If they ever slow down that Nostrand one to even exactly what it says, almost everybody will hit it. And everybody will hit it if they do like what they do with the rest of the timers in the system, with it clearing slower than posted. Same deal with Utica S/B even though that one is calibrated pretty true.

Wow... I was there just before they installed the timer. Too bad I was trying to escape robbery (I smarted my way out of them :)).

I HOPE they DO NOT put a timer on the (C) SB before Utica Avenue. That would completly suck.

The idea of the High S/B was to slow trains coming into Jay, but ya still thunder into there at 32-33 instead of 35-36, big deal.
You're going UP a steep hill, followed by a long level stretch into Jay. That is completely ridiculous, as it slows you down in an area where you can only get but so much speed in the first place, and this does not effect the speed into the next station. I don't know what they were thinking, there.

Guest lance25
Don't give them any ideas!!!

I'm trying not to, but when your "express" line is slower than the "local", you have to wonder what's next.

Well this is what the MTA is doing now because they want to avoid accidents.

I would say that it is more out of their overwhelming desire to avoid lawsuits resulting from a possible accident, derailment, or whatever related to high speeds. The (MTA) is frequently faced with BS lawsuits that they usually have small chances of winning, and consequently has developed an extreme phobia of the prospect of lawsuits, which is why they choose short term, inadequate solutions like adding timers as opposed to doing things like improving the signals. At this rate, I don't know how much longer they will be able to keep this timer-installing business up, because service is already bad as it is with all the current timers. I can't imagine how bad the service will be 10 years from now should they keep adding timers. In any case, SOMETHING must be done.

Archived