This Bus Is Powered By Clean what?

CPBO

How many of you have seen a hybrid bus drive by and seen a blue cloud of smoke coming out of the tail pipe? I say to my self all the time....How can this be clean?

If its blue, there's something really wrong. That's engine oil.

the only real clean system is a hydrogen fuel cell.

Remember that the hydrogen had to come from somewhere.

If were talking about water electrolysis, then unless the current comes from a wind or solar source, there are carbon emissions somewhere.

And refining hydrocarbons into pure hydrogen isn't environmentally inert either.

There's no free lunch.

I'd rather get hot CNG exhaust spewed into my lungs than to end up on another "diesel hybrid" bus.

Don't get me wrong, the hybrids up here are pieces of shit too, but cng turned out to be a headache too, maybe with more government funding it's more palatable for you guys.

When we had them, the L10Gs had roughly 1/2 the mileage of their diesel counterparts before they were due for overhaul.

The US has a metric crapload (euphemism) of natural gas. It's transporting it and the inconvienience of having to mount special tanks that turns most people off. At least on the Orions, the tanks look sleek and smooth, as opposed to the C40s.

All the L10G buses LIB had are long gone now.

The US has a metric crapload (euphemism) of natural gas. It's transporting it and the inconvienience of having to mount special tanks that turns most people off. At least on the Orions, the tanks look sleek and smooth, as opposed to the C40s.

All the L10G buses LIB had are long gone now.

So does Canada, we just shy away from using it as a vehicle fuel

( change in political stance and that may change as well)

Keep in mind, according to city council's numbers up here, 80% of the operating budget comes out of the farebox.:)

Black smoke coming from a hybrid bus, gee the MTA must be reverting back to the old days.

The last time I saw an MTA bus emitting heavy black smoke was before the engines on the RTS' and O5s were repowered.

Orion 7 HEVs = fail...if we could have all Orion 7s changed into diesel-only that would be great.

Black smoke coming from a hybrid bus, gee the MTA must be reverting back to the old days.

The last time I saw an MTA bus emitting heavy black smoke was before the engines on the RTS' and O5s were repowered.

Orion 7 HEVs = fail...if we could have all Orion 7s changed into diesel-only that would be great.

I clearly remember seeing 8210 two years ago on the Q27 spewing out a fine trail of black smoke from its exhaust...

I clearly remember seeing 8210 two years ago on the Q27 spewing out a fine trail of black smoke from its exhaust...

And just a few weeks ago, some of the Series 50 EGR D60HFs have been spewing out black smoke as well

While we're on the subject of CNG, I can't believe CP is still running those ancient Orion V CNGs. Aren't the incoming C40s numerous enough to displace at least the Orion VII CNGs from some of the other depots? From what I've seen of CP's buses, the worst one I saw on the road just had a bit of the stop request cord loose on the operator's side.

It happens. I've seen it on every bus type at one time or another. It's usually a maintenence issue that can be corrected. Sometimes it's a sign of a bigger problem. Either way, both CNG and diesel are fossil fuels. CNG is cleaner that diesel by itself, but rivals the emissions of hybrids.

CNG-Electric hybrid is where it's at. It's approximately 30-40% cleaner than standard CNG and diesel-electric hybrid. Fuel cell is emerging as well. It's just so damn expensive.

If its blue, there's something really wrong. That's engine oil.

That's exactly what I was about to say. Sounds like the too much engine oil....

While we're on the subject of CNG, I can't believe CP is still running those ancient Orion V CNGs. Aren't the incoming C40s numerous enough to displace at least the Orion VII CNGs from some of the other depots? From what I've seen of CP's buses, the worst one I saw on the road just had a bit of the stop request cord loose on the operator's side.

They can't really retire the rest of the buses until the rest of the C40LFs arrive sadly. This is the final year for many of them.

It always happens. I've seen 5514 spewing out black smoke just recently, 6640 puffing out the stuff pitch black, tons of RTSes doing it, and all last winter just about every 395x NG out of MHV. The cold weather relating to smoke I have to investigate, but as ENY said, it's just a mechanical issue. Stop and go takes a toll on these buses, and that's probably why I see it a bit more on Manhattan buses than LRG sees on SI buses, which should in theory have longer lifespans.

Re: blue smoke, yeah talk about running REALLY rich. If any of you guys pay attention to cars, if any of you have seen a 60s 911 pushing it up a hill, chances are you've seen the stuff spewing out the back.

black smoke is an indication of running too rich. blue smoke means the engine is burning too much oil and excessive white smoke means the engine is burning coolant. blue or white smoke usually means a trip to grand ave or zerega for either up-grade or a head gasket. those jobs are not allowed to be done at individual depots anymore...

Archived