This Bus Is Powered By Clean what?

CPBO

It always happens. I've seen 5514 spewing out black smoke just recently, 6640 puffing out the stuff pitch black, tons of RTSes doing it, and all last winter just about every 395x NG out of MHV. The cold weather relating to smoke I have to investigate, but as ENY said, it's just a mechanical issue. Stop and go takes a toll on these buses, and that's probably why I see it a bit more on Manhattan buses than LRG sees on SI buses, which should in theory have longer lifespans.

Re: blue smoke, yeah talk about running REALLY rich. If any of you guys pay attention to cars, if any of you have seen a 60s 911 pushing it up a hill, chances are you've seen the stuff spewing out the back.

You're right, to add on, because of traffic in Manhattan, buses do constantly stop and go, and are therefore prone to idling, which in turn waste fuel.

The one thing that messes up the Staten Island buses more than the other boroughs are the streets....

My bad, brain lapse there.

I will ask a question though, so if you're looking at an ISB-02 on the early OG hybrids, you've got some sort of reservoir in the top left corner of the engine. As in when the cover's open, just under the hinge on the left side. There's some sort of opening for either a tank or reservoir. Is that for coolant or oil? I've never been able to figure that out, I thought oil.

Thats the coolant surge tank. There is no separate tank for oil on those buses. there should be a separate door on the left rear of the bus to access it on the exact opposite side of where the access door is for the battery conditioner port

The worst CP Orion V CNG I saw had a giant crack in the back that is broken, two different back doors, dirty, and somehow a light trail of black smoke coming out of the exaust...

That sounds like the whole fleet.....

I've seen Orion 5 6121 on the BX12 Local emit a huge thick cloud of white smoke enough to stop traffic at a green light on Pelham pkway.I was suprised there wasn't a car accident. I've seen many LGA NGs emit smoke of every color.

A turbo probably blew on that bus

Archived