25 years of the R68

They've been on the (D) since 1986 and that's a pretty long time. It's almost like they were built for that line just like the R10s were built for the (A) line. Quick question is it safe to call the R68s the "D Train" just like the R10s are called the "A Train"?

Call R68's 6 Av Exp train

They've been on the (D) since 1986 and that's a pretty long time. It's almost like they were built for that line just like the R10s were built for the (A) line. Quick question is it safe to call the R68s the "D Train" just like the R10s are called the "A Train"?

I call the R68's, The Concourse Line. ;)

i remember as a kid the old posters that introduced them, the headline read "were brightening the Brighton Line (D)" i couldnt wait to ride one, hoping every time i saw an approaching (D) train that"s front sign was well lit was an R68, often turning out to be R40's or 42's. then finally i caught one at Atlantic ave, Coney island-bound!

I know what he means the fresh coating of silver doesn't fit the 68's right.I don't blame him.

The front bonnets on the R68 arn't made of stainless steel,like the rest of

the car.so a fresh coat of silver paint helps,it doesn't fit to you but it'll help

appearence-wise.

If they were first placed into service on April 13, 1986 shouldn't the anniversary be that date?

And now wikipedia shows June 20, 1986 they first entered service on the (D). So which date is the real date?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R68_%28New_York_City_Subway_car%29

April was when the test train was running. (on the full line).

They began entering regular service later, on the Bway-Brighton half. That may have been June.

The first time I tried to catch one, was that summer, when I just got out of college and there was still only one train on the road. I was at Times Sq. and asked a D crew where it was, and it was his follower! So I rode all the way to Stillwell, and then back to Atlantic. (Was probably the last time I was at Stillwell, until school car, 15 years later. I stopped going to the area completely, waiting for the amusement area to be rehabilitated. Back in those days, they were talking about rebuilding the Steeplechase).

The front bonnets on the R68 arn't made of stainless steel,like the rest of

the car.so a fresh coat of silver paint helps,it doesn't fit to you but it'll help

appearence-wise.

Yep obviously but compare a fresh coated R-68 to a 46.At least a 46 looks better even an R-62/A

On the 4th Av express run n/b, the best you can get out of a R68 is about 45, compared to 50 with a R160. I have not taken a R46 on that stretch to test it.

Well the only fast part is between 4th Avenue 9th st and Union Street. (Uptown). Now going down I feel it's fast until 25th St were the timers are.

My favorite B div cars! These cars are a part of my childhood memories, I remember riding them on the (D) on the Brighton Line back in the days, good times. Today the Brighton Local got upgraded with R160s :P:cool:

Being that the (;) still uses the 68/68As.... I ain't even mad.

Archived