Wheels come flying off MTA buses in two incidents, one 'horrifying near-miss' caught on camera

St Louis Car 09

I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was gonna be about MCIs from SI lol. Or a really tired older bus literally fell apart.

For some reason I thought it was from LaGuardia. I also thought it was one of CPs oldest but it obviously looks like a 3000 so there shouldn't be any logical reason for what happened (unless theres more to the story than the (MTA) is willing to say).

So does that mean he's in deep crap?

If that account is true, yes.

4dff5c64612f7.image.jpg

UP IN SMOKE: This Queens bus from LaGuardia Depot was in service when it burst into flames, but no one was injured. The MTA said it’s investigating what caused the fire. A similar incident occurred June 2 when a bus out of the Queens Village Depot caught fire as the driver was taking it out for service. That bus burned completely

UP IN SMOKE: This Queens bus from LaGuardia Depot was in service when it burst into flames, but no one was injured. The MTA said it’s investigating what caused the fire. A similar incident occurred June 2 when a bus out of the Queens Village Depot caught fire as the driver was taking it out for service. That bus burned completely

Actually, I think that what was meant was 9544 catching fire just as it was preparing to pull out. That bus burned down completely.

LMAO .. only in NYC.. Fire.. what fire..? (driver on cell phone)Babe, I gotta go. A bus is on fire and I gotta pass it b4 the fdny comes and closes the street...

(guy taking video). damn, that bus is on fire.. lemme get closer!

lolzz... maybe it's me and I'm just gettin too old.. But geez, why is it so hard for people to just THINK????

I've been thinking about how to write this post without pissing off anybody but every group involved is gonna get some mud on them.

1.) Maintenance/Mechanics:They take a big chunk of the blame here. There is no excuse for a wheel to come flying off. At Peter Pan, those wheel bearings and steering components get checked every night those buses come back to a garage. It's called a "A" check and it's done along side checking all interior/exterior lights and couple other items. Even if it's not required by the MTA, take some initiative for the equipment your signing off on.

2.) Driver's/Dispatchers: Pre-Trip,Pre-Trip,Pre-trip! You do it everyday even if you are driving the same bus all the time. Hell, I even do walkarounds throughout the day just to make sure I'm not leaking anything or no panels have blown off. Those of us on here that drive see guys that go right to their bus, start it up and just take off....the same guys who will be calling in for another bus a hour later. Write stuff up....again I don't care if you drive the same bus everyday and write the same thing up everyday...cover your ass. We have too many B/Os among us who know stuff is wrong with the equipment but think "As long as it makes it though my shift then let the next guy worry about it!" How many of us have relived another operator and get told "Good Bus" and get two stops down and realize the brakes are slow or the suspension is riding too low. It needs to stop!

Dispatchers need to stop forcing bad equipment on B/Os. We all know what happens....the first guys in the AM refuse a bus and they find the guy who's either scared of them or kisses their ass and gets them to take a bus that they know should not be out there. Too many guys get that white shirt and forget where they came from.....maybe all dispatchers should have to pull a schedule once a week to jog their memories on how things work on the line.

3.) (MTA) Upper Mangement: At this point there need to be a housecleaning of some (if not all) of the managers in the MTA. College Point has one of the oldest local fleets and for quite awhile had a older express fleet too. You don't do things like that and think they are gonna make 100% service everyday. The debacles at LGA,WF (or Fail Farms) and on SI have gone on for years with no real changes put in place to correct the problems with the depots keeping buses in service. IMO, the Maintenance department at the (MTA) needs to be reviewed from the TOP down.

I've been thinking about how to write this post without pissing off anybody but every group involved is gonna get some mud on them.

1.) Maintenance/Mechanics:They take a big chunk of the blame here. There is no excuse for a wheel to come flying off. At Peter Pan, those wheel bearings and steering components get checked every night those buses come back to a garage. It's called a "A" check and it's done along side checking all interior/exterior lights and couple other items. Even if it's not required by the MTA, take some initiative for the equipment your signing off on.

2.) Driver's/Dispatchers: Pre-Trip,Pre-Trip,Pre-trip! You do it everyday even if you are driving the same bus all the time. Hell, I even do walkarounds throughout the day just to make sure I'm not leaking anything or no panels have blown off. Those of us on here that drive see guys that go right to their bus, start it up and just take off....the same guys who will be calling in for another bus a hour later. Write stuff up....again I don't care if you drive the same bus everyday and write the same thing up everyday...cover your ass. We have too many B/Os among us who know stuff is wrong with the equipment but think "As long as it makes it though my shift then let the next guy worry about it!" How many of us have relived another operator and get told "Good Bus" and get two stops down and realize the brakes are slow or the suspension is riding too low. It needs to stop!

Dispatchers need to stop forcing bad equipment on B/Os. We all know what happens....the first guys in the AM refuse a bus and they find the guy who's either scared of them or kisses their ass and gets them to take a bus that they know should not be out there. Too many guys get that white shirt and forget where they came from.....maybe all dispatchers should have to pull a schedule once a week to jog their memories on how things work on the line.

3.) (MTA) Upper Mangement: At this point there need to be a housecleaning of some (if not all) of the managers in the MTA. College Point has one of the oldest local fleets and for quite awhile had a older express fleet too. You don't do things like that and think they are gonna make 100% service everyday. The debacles at LGA,WF (or Fail Farms) and on SI have gone on for years with no real changes put in place to correct the problems with the depots keeping buses in service. IMO, the Maintenance department at the (MTA) needs to be reviewed from the TOP down.

Everything that you said bro is 100% right.:tup:. Deam if you do,deam if you dont when it comes to MTA.

Archived