Jointed rails

Why does the NY Subway still use jointed rail, rather than welded rail?

It makes for a rockier and bumpier ride than smooth welded rail.

I took the Charlotte light rail line this weekend and the tracks are as smooth as silk, with welded rail.

If the difference is "Charlotte is above ground but NY is below ground"- FYI even the above-ground N line has jointed rail.

Thanks.

I took the Charlotte light rail line this weekend and the tracks are as smooth as silk, with welded rail.

If the difference is "Charlotte is above ground but NY is below ground"- FYI even the above-ground N line has jointed rail.

Thanks.

they do use welded on the elevated lines they just did the WPR line btwn freemen st and 174th st and it is very smooth now, they are using it all over now as they do the new track work

I bet the (MTA) doesn't like to use welded rail because it is more expensive to weld together a rail rather than to bolt it down. Also, when doing trackwork & removing / replacing the rails, it is much easier to unbolt and lift off the Joint rather than to saw it off.

I bet the (MTA) doesn't like to use welded rail because it is more expensive to weld together a rail rather than to bolt it down. Also, when doing trackwork & removing / replacing the rails, it is much easier to unbolt and lift off the Joint rather than to saw it off.
thats not all true the way i see it all the areas they are doing track work or did already they are using welded rails now more on the IRT lines but all lines are doing it now

Every "chip out" as we call it welded rail is replacing traditional rail, one area to test out the difference is to ride between Prince and 8th northbound (especially on an (N) so you can open the storm door) and hear the difference.

Every "chip out" as we call it welded rail is replacing traditional rail, one area to test out the difference is to ride between Prince and 8th northbound (especially on an (N) so you can open the storm door) and hear the difference.
and on the 7ave line btw 42nd st and 72nd nb and sb exp track mostly

When they replace the bolted rails with welded ones, you lose that ability to know a train is coming from the vibrating rails on the bolts, which I think is too bad.

Yeah bc if someone is on the tracks they know when a trains coming.

Thanks.

Well you can't really compare a Light Rail to Heavy-Duty Rail. Also it is only about 4 years old, so it's all pretty new track, it should be smooth lol. Compared to the subway which is above 100 years old.

Well you can't really compare a Light Rail to Heavy-Duty Rail. Also it is only about 4 years old, so it's all pretty new track, it should be smooth lol. Compared to the subway which is above 100 years old.

I don't know what the weight of the rails on both systems would be but the Norfolk Southern and Amtrak lines I've taken all are mainline, with rail weights likely as heavy if not heavier than the NYC Subway rails would be, and they are also welded rail.

The subway system is 100 years old but the rails themselves are not; they are replaced regularly.

I don't know what the weight of the rails on both systems would be but the Norfolk Southern and Amtrak lines I've taken all are mainline, with rail weights likely as heavy if not heavier than the NYC Subway rails would be, and they are also welded rail.

The subway system is 100 years old but the rails themselves are not; they are replaced regularly.

NYCT uses both 100 Lbs. and 115 Lbs. rail. Most mainline freight uses 150.

Archived