Cab Drivers, City Officials Reach Deal To Allow For Outer Borough Taxis

Via Garibaldi 8

This should be passed immediately. The (MTA) is cutting service left and right and people need alternatives. While they're at it that (MTA) surcharge for folks who use taxis should be taken away. If they're going to keep cutting service then what do they need all of these surcharges for?? :mad:

Make cabs cheaper so that people car tell the (MTA) to screw off if they want other competitive options. :cool:

I've always wondered why the city cabs never left Manhattan...

I've taken a few out of Manhattan, I'm sure some of the people has also. I believe those were "about to be" off duty cabbies anyway. I wonder how it will play out to see them as a regular now in the other boroughs.

I've always wondered why the city cabs never left Manhattan...

They probably figure that they'll deadhead empty back to Manhattan so it's not worth the time and fuel to head to the outer boroughs. Also, some cabbies are racist and afraid to go to parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx.

Long Overdue. For years growing up, many of the "Manhattan' yellow cabs would only travel to the 'outerboros' on the lucrative JFK/LGA airport runs.

And hopefully this change will find or even suspend cabbies who don't want to go to certain neighborhoods (those areas in the Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens with high number of persons of color)for excuse of 'crime and safety.'

Long Overdue. For years growing up, many of the "Manhattan' yellow cabs would only travel to the 'outerboros' on the lucrative JFK/LGA airport runs.

And hopefully this change will find or even suspend cabbies who don't want to go to certain neighborhoods (those areas in the Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens with high number of persons of color)for excuse of 'crime and safety.'

I'm going to side with the cabbies on this one. The deadheading is a valid reason for not wanting to go too far out (though usually the passenger has some consideration and gives the cabbie a big tip to cover the time that he could've spent carrying other fares)

As far as the safety excuse goes, you have to consider that some of these areas are pretty far out. If you were a cabbie, would you want to take the risk of going all the way out to South Jamaica or East NY and have the passenger refuse to pay?

I'm going to side with the cabbies on this one. The deadheading is a valid reason for not wanting to go too far out (though usually the passenger has some consideration and gives the cabbie a big tip to cover the time that he could've spent carrying other fares)

As far as the safety excuse goes, you have to consider that some of these areas are pretty far out. If you were a cabbie, would you want to take the risk of going all the way out to South Jamaica or East NY and have the passenger refuse to pay?

Okay, so you advocate for cutting bus service which means people will have to either use cars more or use taxis, but then you side with the cabbies on that too, so how do you expect people to get around??? :confused:

This is the main issue here. I welcome this because cabs have been price gauging way too long. More competition will hopefully lower prices and give folks options. People want, need and deserve to get around quickly at a resonable price and this is why this is being implemented. I also hate that I can't use my AMEX with the cabs on Staten Island. Meanwhile I can use it in the city. :mad:

The only car service that will take a credit card is Clove Lakes and they want a $25.00 minimum, which is BS. :mad:

Since you like stats, here is a stat to think about:

"According to stats, 97 percent of yellow cab pickups are in central Manhattan and at La Guardia and JFK airports, though 80 percent of the city lives outside of Manhattan. With this bill, 1,500 more cab medallions and "as many as 30,000 hail privilege permits to for-hire vehicles and 450 permits for base stations" would be authorized."

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/taxi_bill_passe.php

Okay, so you advocate for cutting bus service which means people will have to either use cars more or use taxis, but then you side with the cabbies on that too, so how do you expect people to get around??? :confused:

This is the main issue here. I welcome this because cabs have been price gauging way too long. More competition will hopefully lower prices and give folks options. People want, need and deserve to get around quickly at a resonable price and this is why this is being implemented. I also hate that I can't use my AMEX with the cabs on Staten Island. Meanwhile I can use it in the city. :mad:

The only car service that will take a credit card is Clove Lakes and they want a $25.00 minimum, which is BS. :mad:

Since you like stats, here is a stat to think about:

"According to stats, 97 percent of yellow cab pickups are in central Manhattan and at La Guardia and JFK airports, though 80 percent of the city lives outside of Manhattan. With this bill, 1,500 more cab medallions and "as many as 30,000 hail privilege permits to for-hire vehicles and 450 permits for base stations" would be authorized."

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/taxi_bill_passe.php

But it isn't the cabbies' fault that the MTA reduced bus service.

They could make it easier on the cabbies by charging a slightly higher rate for travel to the outer boroughs (say, $2 per mile within Manhattan and $2.50 per mile once the cab leaves Manhattan).

But it isn't the cabbies' fault that the MTA reduced bus service.

They could make it easier on the cabbies by charging a slightly higher rate for travel to the outer boroughs (say, $2 per mile within Manhattan and $2.50 per mile once the cab leaves Manhattan).

That's ridiculous. I should remind you that the (MTA) get a portion of each and every fare that the yellow cabs pick up. $1.50 surcharge... That's already enough. Aside from that since you support slashing service and cabbies choosing where they go and don't go, then I guess everyone should get a car, which would mean you and no one else would be able to get around.

That's ridiculous. I should remind you that the (MTA) get a portion of each and every fare that the yellow cabs pick up. $1.50 surcharge... That's already enough. Aside from that since you support slashing service and cabbies choosing where they go and don't go, then I guess everyone should get a car, which would mean you and no one else would be able to get around.

While I do think that people should be entitled to a reasonable amount of transportation (whether it be through cabs or transit), you have to consider the cabbies too: They have a right to come home with a reasonable amount in fares without killing themselves for it working extra hours.

Plus, do you really want to get into a taxi where the driver has been working for 16 hours? Need I remind you that it was driver fatigue that caused those bus crashes in The Bronx?

While I do think that people should be entitled to a reasonable amount of transportation (whether it be through cabs or transit), you have to consider the cabbies too: They have a right to come home with a reasonable amount in fares without killing themselves for it working extra hours.

Plus, do you really want to get into a taxi where the driver has been working for 16 hours? Need I remind you that it was driver fatigue that caused those bus crashes in The Bronx?

Oh please. And you don't think cabbies work long hours already? That is a load of BS. Most cabbies already work long hours and work 7 days a week because they complain that they don't earn enough, yet they refuse to go the outer boroughs, so they can't have it both ways. They want to only serve Manhattan and then charge customers the suburban rate, BUT they don't want to serve the outerboroughs.

Should I remind you of all of the cabbies that were busted overcharging and charging the suburban rate?? Meanwhile they're complaining that they don't earn enough, so they rip off the paying customer to make up their difference. Let's not paint these guys out to be angels because most of them are crooks. They will look to overcharge you at anytime. Now I've been riding with Clove Lakes car service for years now and I know I spend a good $1,000 or more with them a year and yet the dispatcher and various drivers will try to get over. They'll charge me $8 dollars to go to one spot and then a few hours later I'll call to be picked up from the same spot and they'll try to charge me a higher rate and then when I call them out on it they get a attitude. This is just one male dispatcher that's a snake (makes hissing noise). :mad: The other ladies are sweeties and will have cars wait for me once I get off of the express bus and such. :cool:

checkmate, try to take a cab from Manhattan to SI before saying stuff on this. Try, and then watch the cabbie refuse to do so. It's happened to me, when I asked cabbies to take me from the UES to Corona, Queens. They just laughed, yelled at me, and sped off.

The cabbies and take their pricey medallions and stuff it. When they get the medallion allowing them to drive a yellow cab, one of their rules is that they must follow, according to the TLC is...

§54-20 Operations – Refusing Passengers

(A) Must Not Refuse to Transport Passengers. Unless the Driver has justifiable

grounds, the Driver must not refuse to transport in any of the following

circumstances:

(1) Mandatory Transport. A Driver must not refuse by words, gestures or any

other means, to take a Passenger, including a person with a disability and

any service animal accompanying this individual, to any destination within

the City of New York, the counties of Westchester or Nassau, or Newark

Airport.

Let the livery drivers take street hails as Bloomberg proposed. It's the cabbies fault for refusing trips outside of Manhattan (save for the airports), they brought this upon themselves. They should have thought of this before continually refusing passengers who want to go outside of Manhattan. Serves them right.

This should be passed immediately. The (MTA) is cutting service left and right and people need alternatives. While they're at it that (MTA) surcharge for folks who use taxis should be taken away. If they're going to keep cutting service then what do they need all of these surcharges for?? :mad:

Make cabs cheaper so that people car tell the (MTA) to screw off if they want other competitive options. :cool:

This has nothing to do with the (MTA) at all. It seems like its more like a yellow cab vs livery cab thing.

checkmate, try to take a cab from Manhattan to SI before saying stuff on this. Try, and then watch the cabbie refuse to do so. It's happened to me, when I asked cabbies to take me from the UES to Corona, Queens. They just laughed, yelled at me, and sped off.

The cabbies and take their pricey medallions and stuff it. When they get the medallion allowing them to drive a yellow cab, one of their rules is that they must follow, according to the TLC is...

circumstances:

Airport.

Let the livery drivers take street hails as Bloomberg proposed. It's the cabbies fault for refusing trips outside of Manhattan (save for the airports), they brought this upon themselves. They should have thought of this before continually refusing passengers who want to go outside of Manhattan. Serves them right.

In short, they are breaking the regulations by refusing to take passengers outside of Manhattan and now they want to cry foul when they've refused to follow the regulations on the books for years. LOL

This has nothing to do with the (MTA) at all. It seems like its more like a yellow cab vs livery cab thing.

It certainly does have to do with the (MTA) as well, although not directly. Service cuts means that people will need more cabs to get around so that is yet another reason why this bill should be passed. It just happens to be good timing IMO.

circumstances:

Airport.

Exactly! I HATE cabs in NYC, yellow or livery and I try my level best to avoid using them but if I were to ever use one, I should be able to get one and not have a problem with any one of them going way up in the Bronx. This needs to be passed to make transportation that much more easier to use.

It certainly does have to do with the (MTA) as well, although not directly. Service cuts means that people will need more cabs to get around so that is yet another reason why this bill should be passed. It just happens to be good timing IMO.

The only one thinking about service cuts is you. This is all about making cabs accessible for all whenever anyone needs it for whatever the reason. Besides, people take cabs even when service on the bus is running well so I don't really see the point you are making.

The only one thinking about service cuts is you. This is all about making cabs accessible for all whenever anyone needs it for whatever the reason. Besides, people take cabs even when service on the bus is running well so I don't really see the point you are making.

If you notice when the cuts were made last year the city tried to run service where those lines were cut. If they didn't realize that there was a problem they wouldn't have even bothered. With the cuts having taken place having more cabs available is imperative. Are you trying to tell me that no one was affected by the cuts to the point that more folks won't be using the cabs as a result?? If you have no car and the bus no longer runs that you used to use or runs at reduced hours and you can't walk, the only other thing available is a cab, so I don't see how much clearer my point can be. Either that or you just refuse to accept my point. One or the other. ;)

this is gonna be fun...

I don't support any one person, group, or organization that price gouge... and yellow (and livery) cab drivers are notorious for that shit....

yellow cabs:

....from jimmying the meter, to taking the most congested route possible from point A to B, to taking advantage of any unsuspecting person (usually a tourist) seeking a cab ride to one of the airports....

Not to mention that they DO discriminate; with picking up certain races of people that live in certain areas of manhattan.... and refusing to travel to certain areas in the outerboroughs that aren't tourist areas (they'll take the brooklyn bridge, but they wont travel any further past DUMBO).... majority of em will refuse outerborough service, period.... and it has f*** all to do with deadhead time.....

livery cabs:

these bastards set their own prices, and they're NOT consistent at all.... what it's actually based off of, your guess is as good as mine.... you don't know how many times I've bothered back then, to take a livery cab from downtown brooklyn, home... and the range of prices I'd hear.... the median was generally around 12 bucks.... The worst was, and I never forget it - some indian dude tried to charge me & my moms 26 dollars from albee sq. mall to east flatbush... the f**k outta here.... both of us took turns cursing his a** out....

how about the ones that give YOU attitude when you call em up, they eventually come & you tell them your destination, and they have to ask you how to get there.... don't know where you're goin, the hell you drivin a cab for.... Oh, or better yet, the ones that tell you they don't go to a particular destination.... I remember on a couple occasions me, my siblings, and my moms would call a cab to head out to Navy/Sands st (farragut houses), and immediately they'd be like, no, we don't go there..... but you supposedly travel to all places w/i NYC... go f*** yourselves... I refuse to take them damned things anymore !

and the livery cabs in manhattan, they on some next shit; lot of em be on some classism BS... like I said before, if you aint suited & booted w/ a briefcase-in-hand, they aint pickin you up.... you gotta look like you got gwap (money) for them to even consider you as a potential passenger....

...alllll that, and I have to consider the cabbies, and their long work hours, and their boo hoo, woah is me, we don't get paid enough, full knowin we can't drive worth a s*** anyway....

all that said, and you think the cabfare should be RAISED when they leave manhattan, full knowin they're still gonna engage in the bevy of underhanded tactics they use to siphon dollars (plural) out of riders????

miss me with that mess, CC... for real....

I don't support any one person, group, or organization that price gouge... and yellow (and livery) cab drivers are notorious for that shit....

yellow cabs:

....from jimmying the meter, to taking the most congested route possible from point A to B, to taking advantage of any unsuspecting person (usually a tourist) seeking a cab ride to one of the airports....

Not to mention that they DO discriminate; with picking up certain races of people that live in certain areas of manhattan.... and refusing to travel to certain areas in the outerboroughs that aren't tourist areas (they'll take the brooklyn bridge, but they wont travel any further past DUMBO).... majority of em will refuse outerborough service, period.... and it has f*** all to do with deadhead time.....

livery cabs:

these bastards set their own prices, and they're NOT consistent at all.... what it's actually based off of, your guess is as good as mine.... you don't know how many times I've bothered back then, to take a livery cab from downtown brooklyn, home... and the range of prices I'd hear.... the median was generally around 12 bucks.... The worst was, and I never forget it - some indian dude tried to charge me & my moms 26 dollars from albee sq. mall to east flatbush... the f**k outta here.... both of us took turns cursing his a** out....

how about the ones that give YOU attitude when you call em up, they eventually come & you tell them your destination, and they have to ask you how to get there.... don't know where you're goin, the hell you drivin a cab for.... Oh, or better yet, the ones that tell you they don't go to a particular destination.... I remember on a couple occasions me, my siblings, and my moms would call a cab to head out to Navy/Sands st (farragut houses), and immediately they'd be like, no, we don't go there..... but you supposedly travel to all places w/i NYC... go f*** yourselves... I refuse to take them damned things anymore !

and the livery cabs in manhattan, they on some next shit; lot of em be on some classism BS... like I said before, if you aint suited & booted w/ a briefcase-in-hand, they aint pickin you up.... you gotta look like you got gwap (money) for them to even consider you as a potential passenger....

...alllll that, and I have to consider the cabbies, and their long work hours, and their boo hoo, woah is me, we don't get paid enough, full knowin we can't drive worth a s*** anyway....

all that said, and you think the cabfare should be RAISED when they leave manhattan, full knowin they're still gonna engage in the bevy of underhanded tactics they use to siphon dollars (plural) out of riders????

miss me with that mess, CC... for real....

It's the weirdest thing... I get the livery cabs hunking all the time at me to pick me up. Sometimes I have a shirt and tie on with my briefcase and such and sometimes I'm sort of dressed down, but still well dressed, say a pair of Italian loafers, pants and a shirt w/cufflinks or whatever but not formally dressed with a tie and such and I'll be waiting there at the express bus stop and they keep honking. The other day I was waiting for the M2 to get back to my office and I had my Whole Foods bag and this guy literally waited for some time asking me if I needed a cab (black Lincoln). I did an experiment and pretended to ignore him and he stayed there for a while almost a good minute or so and then he finally took off. He kept saying "Sir do you need a cab?", but in a very nice calm tone.

But I think you do have a point though. Perhaps if I were thugged out or whatever and a bit darker in terms of skin complexion they probably wouldn't even bother. They either assume that I have money or because of my complexion and features that I'm either mixed or Latino, thus less of a threat. Checkmate has seen me in person before ((MTA) hearing) and he thought that I looked Latino, but whether or not he found me threatening or not I don't know. lol I'm saying this because I'm also around the same height as you at 6'4" and about 210. I personally have never had a problem getting a cab (be it the yellow cab or the livery cab), but for dark skinned blacks I have saw some of them have to give up because no cabs will stop.

Last Saturday I was waiting for the BM3 to come over by 5th and 40th and I was the only one at the stop, so I see it coming and I put my hand out for him to stop, but there was a sh*t load of traffic and taxis and such and it looked like he wasn't going to stop so I started getting irritated and moved out on to the street to get his attention. A yellow cab was passing by and saw me putting my hand out and such and he honked as if to say I have a passenger, as he apparently thought I was trying to hail him and he wasn't stopping for that reason only due to already having someone. Suffice it to say that I was wearing a black t-shirt with a pair of high end jeans and these sporty Bally shoes from Switzerland, so even though I was dressed down I still had no problems hailing a cab even though I didn't need one. The BM3 eventually did stop as the B/O recognized me from past trips.

That thing about asking directions also annoys me. I think some of them do it to keep conversation going because some of them have the damn GPS and they'll still ask me how to get home.

If you notice when the cuts were made last year the city tried to run service where those lines were cut. If they didn't realize that there was a problem they wouldn't have even bothered. With the cuts having taken place having more cabs available is imperative. Are you trying to tell me that no one was affected by the cuts to the point that more folks won't be using the cabs as a result?? If you have no car and the bus no longer runs that you used to use or runs at reduced hours and you can't walk, the only other thing available is a cab, so I don't see how much clearer my point can be. Either that or you just refuse to accept my point. One or the other. ;)

If my memory serves me, the cabs you speak about were designed for specific routes that the (MTA) had cut to some degree if not entirely, but they didn't serve the rest of the city. If I understand this new thing that Bloomburg wants to do correctly, this plan is designed to help out the ENTIRE city, not just to areas that had a reduction in bus service. I see what you are saying but what I'm saying is that it's bigger than what you are talking about. It's so that I can grab a cab and go to Bed-Stuy or Hollis and not be told "no" by some prick cab driver. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but this is how I'm understanding this plan.

If my memory serves me, the cabs you speak about were designed for specific routes that the (MTA) had cut to some degree if not entirely, but they didn't serve the rest of the city. If I understand this new thing that Bloomburg wants to do correctly, this plan is designed to help out the ENTIRE city, not just to areas that had a reduction in bus service. I see what you are saying but what I'm saying is that it's bigger than what you are talking about. It's so that I can grab a cab and go to Bed-Stuy or Hollis and not be told "no" by some prick cab driver. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but this is how I'm understanding this plan.

Of course. I'm not disputing that at all. That IS the main reason, but I'm saying it isn't the ONLY reason.

Archived