Should subsidies be reduced to the MTA?

Via Garibaldi 8

So about the managers on the subway which one is the worst?? Is there one worse than the A train's manager?? cause performance on the A is horrid

"A January report from state Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli . It found that in 2007 through 2009, 62% percent of the fleet “failed to meet reliability goals despite maintenance costs that topped $777.7 million in 2008.” The audit found this to be double the maintenance costs for other comparable transportation agencies in the U.S. Despite the money spent, the report charged there were more mechanical failures than expected."

Collectively all levels of MTA management are failing

I just looked up the location of his workplace: the museum is paying MTA payroll taxes for service, and they get service. The Q46 stops literally out front, and the QM5, QM6, and QM8 are just near by. The payroll tax is for service. He's paying the tax and getting service. It's a shame the Q76 was cut, but he was among very few riding the route. He still pays some and still get some service, with fewer travel options, like most of us who have worse commutes due to the Doomsday Cuts.

I'm afraid I've really got to disagree with you here. If you think the MTA is wasting resources, just watch how much a private service screws things up. Privatization is just a bad idea. Take a look at London and the damage privatization did to their system, to the point where the city had to "buy back" the subway. The MTA may be a bureaucracy, but for the most part it works. In the scheme of things, wastes of money are nothing compared to the vast underfunding the MTA suffers. Cut all funding and privatize the whole system? That's a one way ticket to disaster.

Replies in blue.

speaking of albany they are powering up their own CDTA

I'm afraid I've really got to disagree with you here. If you think the MTA is wasting resources, just watch how much a private service screws things up. Privatization is just a bad idea. The MTA may be a bureaucracy, but for the most part it works. In the scheme of things, wastes of money are nothing compared to the vast underfunding the MTA suffers. Cut all funding and privatize the whole system? That's a one way ticket to disaster.

The MTA is an out of control, unaccountable, malevolent bureaucracy that continues to suck every bloody penny out of the very people it was designed to serve. The plantation style management system with its seething hatred for it's passengers and own employees, along with its repeated business model failures screams out for its own quick execution to end the suffering of all who rely on it. To completely excise the malignant ineffective management and its worthless lowly managerial congregants would be justice. I believe that only the complete demolishing, rebuilding, and repurposing of this sacrilegious excuse of a state agency will accomplish the ultimate goal of a fully integrated, seamless, and affordable transportation system.

The disaster is already here MHV9218, the MTA train is out of control, wildly careening and running out of track quickly, just a matter of time before the whole system collapses onto itself, but "hey, you never know" ;)

First of all I couldn't find much school-specific on your blog, and if your proposal to skip grades is the extent of it, I don't really understand how that solves much. I was bored in grade school too, but I found ways to keep busy. I found teachers that had interesting problems, questions, and I started up a little business for myself separately to make money. You're not alone in being bored in public school (where I spent my entire life as a student as well), but but skipping grades is not the solution. Members of my family did that, heck, my grandad went to college at 13, hoping to be able to work by 17. Didn't work out too well for any of us, and he spent his life with a middle school diploma.

Secondly, you're really misinformed if you don't think overcrowding is a large problem. You bet it is. Time and time again we see that larger class sizes yield worse performances and worse teaching, yet the DOE simply doesn't have the money for any alternative. And after years of incompetent leadership between the test-crazed and generally wrong Joel Klein to the painfully dumb Cathie Black, public schools are in trouble in a bad way. To center funding on student Metrocards instead of actual education?! That's just not a good plan, end of.

See my post up top. Unfortunate, yes, but there's still bus service, and the route wasn't too major if the ridership was so low it was axed. I know my stance here sounds impersonal and a little cruel, but I had a lot of service near me and where I travel to cut as well, and everybody's got to take these cuts together. They still have some service, and in the end the real blame should be with Albany, not the MTA.

That was basically the only education-related thing on my blog.

As far as being bored in school goes, both me and my parents feel that I am capable of learning college-level material. And keeping me in school when I know the material is going to teach me what, exactly? How to figure out ways to entertain myself? I'm literally sleeping in some of my classes. I might as well sleep at home and save taxpayers the cost of keeping me in school.

So would you rather keep kids like me in school, or would you rather have some service reductions restored, or some firehouses reopened, or if you really feel that class sizes are a big issue, smaller class sizes?

As far as starting a business goes, I would be much more successful at it if I didn't have to focus on attending classes.

As far as the Q79 goes, it had low ridership, but there were routes that were more expensive to operate (like the S54, S55, S56, and S57) that remained. While it didn't have high ridership, it was an important north-south connection in that section of Queens.

And yes, with the Q79, it was an odd cut, but it was still not a highly ridden bus. Personally, I think the biggest waste of money to the entire fleet is express bus service, but that'll be much too inflammatory to say much about here. In the end, it's not like they're paying a specific Q79 tax: it's general, and while the Q79 was a loss, simply, what can you do?

For starters they could eliminate that payroll tax that the museum is putting out. ;)

Total agreement :cool: some issues we see alike.

Yeah well Hawk Operator would have all express buses eliminated. As far as I'm concerned, folks just have issues with express buses because they have higher operating costs and they don't see them as a necessity but as a nice alternative. Meanwhile if these express buses were replaced by commuter trains, no one would say anything. I notice you never hear anyone complaining about the LIRR or MetroNorth. They're just like express buses. They have a high operating cost and serve folks in the suburbs who generally earn higher salaries.

Instead of always dissing the MTA(they are at times corupt but so is most state agencies in Albany) putting him on the spot. I would love to hear what Garbaldi (or anyone else) wants to do? This is not to be rude but put him on the spot on what are his ideas and his solutions?

Let him become "Governor Garbaldi for a day and find out what he proposes?

Some important questions?

1)Should the (MTA) continue to run the NYC subways/buses? If not who? Shouid the NYC Mayor appoint the head of this agency?

2) Who runs the NYC Buses? Should the Manhattan express routes become 'private' like Westchester and soon Nassau County? Or all NYC buses in all '5' boros?

3)Who runs the LIRR/Metro North and even Bridges/Tunnels aka Triboro Authority?

4)How should taxpayers pay for this new (MTA) or private company(ies)that runs Metro NYC subways, buses and LIRR/Metro North?

This at least makes clear his views instead of the mixed messages he created in posts. Not meant to be rude but curious what Garbaldi (or anyone else) takes are instead of always posting his dislike of the (MTA) is.

I'd like to try an unorthodox approach to bus service. Instead of having all the bus service in the city run under a single service, what about setting up individual depots as community-owned IBOAs? Each depot would be responsible for covering its own utilities, fuel, maintenance costs, etc. and payroll services would be contracted out by the union to the lowest bidder every 3-5 years to save on overhead costs. Essentially the communities would be responsible for determining what bus service would be necessary for them, both to/from Manhattan and within the community itself. Longer lines crossing multiple districts such as the Q44, B46, etc. would be handled by multiple depots and collaboratively managed in much the same way WAS-BOS thru trains were managed by the PRR and the NYNH&B in past decades. Procurement of new buses would still be handled through the city, but that would be done through a separate procurement agency working more as a broker/middleman than a specification setter.

As far as finances go, I would permanently separate the operating and capital improvement budgets and prioritize operations over capital. Revenue would come from three places; a max $2 fare on local lines (max $5 for premium fare express service), a tax or dues paid by community members to their individual depots, and service fees assessed to industries, employers, etc. receiving service. Each community would be responsible for determining how much of their budget would come from the community dues and how much from fees assessed to businesses. The target profit (after operating budget) would be 5-10% of the operating budget, and this would go into a communal capital fund that would be used for depot rehab/upgrades, bus purchases, etc.

Administration of these IBOAs would be handled by community board members, who answer directly to their local communities. The community board or boards served by each IBOA would be responsible for setting up a transit committee; committee members would be responsible for making most adminstrative and financial decisions and for appointing a general manager responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the depot.

Due to the high fixed costs of operating a rail network, it would not be feasible to contract out the subways or the railroad system in the same manner as the buses. Thus, the subways and B&T should revert directly to NYCDOT and the railroads should revert directly to the state. Chairpeople responsible for operating each of these branches should be appointed by their respective executive branches (the mayor for subways and B&T and the governor for the railroads) but then be subject to two-thirds confirmation. In Albany the confirming body would be the state legislature (unfortunately) but in the city the confirming body would be the community boards as a collective unit. Each individual community board would be allowed one up/down vote on the subway agency head and one vote on the B&T head, and if two thirds of the community boards vote "yes" for a proposed candidate, that candidate would then be confirmed. SI community boards would be allowed votes for both agencies because the SIR is still an unofficial part of the subway system and would be handled as such.

Financing for the subway would be covered by a combination of a $2 fare and a "subway tax" similar to the existing (MTA) tax within the city, and rail service would be financed using the current zoned fare structure and an (MTA) tax similar to the one already in place in served counties. B&T excess funds (tolls gathered beyond necessary road upkeep and B&T operating costs) would be allowed to fund the subways, the rail system, and the capital improvement fund for the IBOAs (in that order of priority) as necessary.

As far as fare payment goes, MetroCards would still be used and free transfers between buses, subways, and rail lines would be allowed. For bus-to-bus and bus-to-subway transfers, MetroCard use would be logged by fareboxes and revenue would be split accordingly (for every transfer used $1 would go to the operator of the first bus (or subway) used and $1 to the second bus (or subway used). Transfers to and from rail and premium fare lines would include step-up charges similar to those currently in use for local bus-to-express bus transfers. The fare for the lower-priced service would be deducted from the fare of the higher-priced service and the higher-priced service would eat the cost of the transfer. Revenue from unlimited MetroCards would be distributed based on use patterns (the percentage of total card uses that took place on each agency would be equal to the percentage of revenue from the purchase of that card each agency receives) and all monthly/weekly rail tickets would be printed with a farebox-readable magnetic stripe and double as monthly/weekly MetroCards with the same revenue-sharing rules in existence as for regular unlimited MetroCards.

For starters they could eliminate that payroll tax that the museum is putting out. ;)

Yeah well Hawk Operator would have all express buses eliminated. As far as I'm concerned, folks just have issues with express buses because they have higher operating costs and they don't see them as a necessity but as a nice alternative. Meanwhile if these express buses were replaced by commuter trains, no one would say anything. I notice you never hear anyone complaining about the LIRR or MetroNorth. They're just like express buses. They have a high operating cost and serve folks in the suburbs who generally earn higher salaries.

Note that the railroads run on distance based fare (except if you never enter the city... Oyster Bay to Mineola for under $3 all day) and people from farther out pay more than people closer to the city.

As I've said before, the MTA in and of itself is not the problem. It's everyone and everything else.

If Albany played fair with funding,

if the unions scalled back a little on thier demands,

if the public paid properly for service,

if contractors did the job right the first time for what they'd said they'd do it. We might not be rid of the problems, but they wouldn't be as bad.

But no, it has to be the hard way...

Who collects billions in revenue, and even has multiple tax streams? The MTA

Who gives management lifetime benefits, huge salaries, and numerous perks to low or non performing managers? The MTA

Who puts everything out to bid, instead of using their own in house staff? The MTA.

Who refuses to use their own police service for fare enforcement? The MTA

Who demands arbritration, goes, gets decision then spends tax payers $$$$$$ fighting arbitration ruling? The MTA

Who's managers contract with their own relatives and bogus business fronts to steal $$$, yet noone sees it? The MTA

Who allows the contractors to walk away from incomplete jobs after being paid millions? The MTA

But its everyone and everything else, right?

Ok Hawk. Not to turn this into another 'can the express bus routes' debate which I know you prefer? With that said, would you accept express buses were taken over by a private company i.e Coach USA, Velovia, etc.

Plus how do riders who live in SI, Eastern Queens, Northern Bronx and parts of Brooklyn far away from a subway get to Manhattan?

What you 'cheaper' plan for those 'folks' to get to Midtown or Lower Manhattan other than so called 'express buses.' Yes I do agree there too many 'express buses' but a couple like the X1, X10, BXM7 do quiet well with very high ridership. So a few should stay but several existing Manhattan express routes should become weekday only.

Ok Hawk. Not to turn this into another 'can the express bus routes' debate which I know you prefer? With that said, would you accept express buses were taken over by a private company i.e Coach USA, Velovia, etc.

Plus how do riders who live in SI, Eastern Queens, Northern Bronx and parts of Brooklyn far away from a subway get to Manhattan?

What you 'cheaper' plan for those 'folks' to get to Midtown or Lower Manhattan other than so called 'express buses.' Yes I do agree there too many 'express buses' but a couple like the X1, X10, BXM7 do quiet well with very high ridership. So a few should stay but several existing Manhattan express routes should become weekday only.

He's replied to express buses before and he would eliminate all of them and basically just tell folks to take the local bus to the ferry to the subway, so people on the South Shore of Staten Island would have a 2 1/2 hr commute to work or more each way. The same people advocating for the elimination of express buses admit that building light rails are too expensive and time consuming so basically what they're saying is f*ck those who live in areas without subways or light rails because they shouldn't have moved where they did. The only problem with that is you can't sandwich everyone in Manhattan or areas with subway access. The system simply couldn't handle it.

The reasonable thing to do is to reduce service on express buses but you don't kill of entire routes unless there is absolutely no way to sustain the route because once they are done that's it. It's the same thing with LIRR. They may reduce service but they don't axe entire lines.

Now here my replies to these question i created yesterday to the MTA future. Replies in red.

1)Should the (MTA) continue to run the NYC subways/buses? If not who? Shouid the NYC Mayor appoint the head of this agency? While Kamen Rider makes a great point that politics/money is what corrupts the (MTA)I think it's too damn big of an organzation. Thus similar to when the Supreme Court ended the telephone monoply of AT& T and the 'baby bells' in the early 1980's, it would break up the (MTA) into '2' sister but different agencies. One (MTA) agency would focus on the NYC Buses/subways and the other LIRR/Metro-North. NYC DOT should get control of the (MTA) bridges and tunnels.

The Mayor would appoint with city council approval the new "general manger/CEO" of a new NYC Metro. (my new proposed name of the city-owned subways/buses)While the Governor would appoint the new CEO of the (MTA) to only run Metro North and LIRR.

2) Who runs the NYC Buses? Should the Manhattan express routes become 'private' like Westchester and soon Nassau County? Or all NYC buses in all '5' boros?

A new agency NYC Metro would run the subways. While the buses would be open to a 10-year bid (with city council approval)to '2' contracts. One for the Manhattan 'express buses' and the other for "Local Buses.' The Metro GM/CEO working with input from Community Boards/City Concil would create schedules/routings, own and buy the buses, etc. The 'private' contractor is responsible for maintence of the entire fleet.

Also the Unions (like upper management)should accept a few givebacks. There no need to have all 400-plus subway stations open 24/7. One example is the Rockaway park line. Also the issue of amazing health care(which even teachers no longer have)that the Transit employees and upper management has needs to be looked at. This is no anti-union telling it like it is.

3)Who runs the LIRR/Metro North and even Bridges/Tunnels aka Triboro Authority? The (MTA) would only run and operate LIRR and Metro-North where they seem to do a better job. The B&T would be taken over by the NYC DOT which it would merge with.

4)How should taxpayers pay for this new or private company(ies)that runs Metro NYC subways, buses and LIRR/Metro North? Since the NYC Buses would become semi-private the regional extra fees of license plates, etc created a couple of years go would be gone. Plus I know it controversial but I would also create congestion rush hour 'tolls' aka congestion pricing for single drivers and trucks entering Manhattan below 96th Street say between 6am-10am weekdays. Those with 2 or more occupants in a private care with e-z pass would still enter 'the city' for free.

Again while the (MTA)running only LIRR/Metro North and a new "NYC Metro" would be 'sister agencies' for puposes of sharing metrocards, etc they would also be separte organzations.

That my takes. Still await Garbaldi's proposals.;)

This at least makes clear his views instead of the mixed messages he created in posts. Not meant to be rude but curious what Garbaldi (or anyone else) takes are instead of always posting his dislike of the is.

Now here my replies to these question i created yesterday to the MTA future. Replies in red.

1)Should the (MTA) continue to run the NYC subways/buses? If not who? Shouid the NYC Mayor appoint the head of this agency? While Kamen Rider makes a great point that politics/money is what corrupts the (MTA)I think it's too damn big of an organzation. Thus similar to when the Supreme Court ended the telephone monoply of AT& T and the 'baby bells' in the early 1980's, it would break up the (MTA) into '2' sister but different agencies. One (MTA) agency would focus on the NYC Buses/subways and the other LIRR/Metro-North. NYC DOT should get control of the (MTA) bridges and tunnels.

The Mayor would appoint with city council approval the new "general manger/CEO" of a new NYC Metro. (my new proposed name of the city-owned subways/buses)While the Governor would appoint the new CEO of the (MTA) to only run Metro North and LIRR.

A new agency NYC Metro would run the subways. While the buses would be open to a 10-year bid (with city council approval)to '2' contracts. One for the Manhattan 'express buses' and the other for "Local Buses.' The Metro GM/CEO working with input from Community Boards/City Concil would create schedules/routings, own and buy the buses, etc. The 'private' contractor is responsible for maintence of the entire fleet.

Also the Unions (like upper management)should accept a few givebacks. There no need to have all 400-plus subway stations open 24/7. One example is the Rockaway park line. Also the issue of amazing health care(which even teachers no longer have)that the Transit employees and upper management has needs to be looked at. This is no anti-union telling it like it is.

3)Who runs the LIRR/Metro North and even Bridges/Tunnels aka Triboro Authority? The (MTA) would only run and operate LIRR and Metro-North where they seem to do a better job. The B&T would be taken over by the NYC DOT which it would merge with.

4)How should taxpayers pay for this new or private company(ies)that runs Metro NYC subways, buses and LIRR/Metro North? Since the NYC Buses would become semi-private the regional extra fees of license plates, etc created a couple of years go would be gone. Plus I know it controversial but I would also create congestion rush hour 'tolls' aka congestion pricing for single drivers and trucks entering Manhattan below 96th Street say between 6am-10am weekdays. Those with 2 or more occupants in a private care with e-z pass would still enter 'the city' for free.

Again while the (MTA)running only LIRR/Metro North and a new "NYC Metro" would be 'sister agencies' for puposes of sharing metrocards, etc they would also be separte organzations.

That my takes. Still await Garbaldi's proposals.;)

This at least makes clear his views instead of the mixed messages he created in posts. Not meant to be rude but curious what Garbaldi (or anyone else) takes are instead of always posting his dislike of the is.

I already posted my takes on it yesterday. I would go along with some of Hawk's ideas and I added a few other things that I would do as well.

On the MTA Bus side, the subsidies absolutely should be reduced; as others have said, the MTA Bus express service operated is overkill. I can't really fault how express buses are run under NYCT, except that more buses should be kept in the city during the midday. But very few MTA Bus express services would meet NYCT loading guidelines to warrant service outside of rush hours.

I would not go as far as Hawk Operator did, but I would apply NYCT loading guidelines to express buses. On the local bus side, some local routes do remain underserved. (For instance, on Woodhaven Boulevard, during the rush, there should be some Q53 short-turns running only between 157 Avenue and Queens Center Mall.)

who demands they operate with arace rules that waste money- the unions

who demands a pay raise two seconds after they got the last one- the unions

who seems to think the MTA is a piggy bank- albany

who costs the MTA millions by chosing to cheat the fare

Management is not the legion of doom you morons keep making it out to be. your behanvor has been doing just as much if not more to hinder the situation as anything else.

If the union would acept OPTO, we could have saved dozens of buslines, but no, you have to stick to work rules written decades ago. stop pointing the finger upstairs.

1.Arcane rules: originally proposed and agreed to by: MTA Management

2.Pay raises every three years, not two seconds: just looks that way because who delays implementing them: MTA Management

3.Piggy bank? Talk with the way overbudget private contractor friends of: MTA Management

4. Who decided not to enforce its own fare policy, and cheats with two sets of books: MTA Management.

5. Work rules agreed to and enforced for decades by: MTA Management

Accept OPTO? Sure, and guarantee the carnage that continues to happen in WAMTA and other US based OPTO systems will not occur here.

By the way who are you referring to as a "morons?" This is a discussion page; it would seem that you are defending your position by use of insults, which usually is the only option available when you can't defend your POV with intelligent responses. As for hindering, MTA management has the ability to discuss and come to agreeable terms with any of its workforce unions, MTA just chooses not to because then they would be exposed for the fraud that most management personnel are. So before you point and blame the lowest rung on the MTA ladder, look at the 9-5 suits, the MTA's management team of incompetent college degreed decision and policy makers, and tell us how blue collar hourly’s are the reason for the MTA's multiple failings and rising costs when they are the only ones doing actual work!

Congrautaltions on finding the one route that will make everything worse gaureeteed.

Fracturing the system and getting the community boards involved will result in arguments to no end. Where the buses will go, who does what when and where. Because that's basicly all the community boards ever do, bitch and complain about everything. What's next? getting rid of congress and making everyone vote on every new law? basicly the same principle, only scaled up.

there are much simpler ways to save money than to complety rewrite the rules. As I've said before, the MTA in and of itself is not the problem. It's everyone and everything else. If Albany played fair with funding, if the unions scalled back a little on thier demands, if the public paid properly for service, if contractors did the job right the first time for what they'd said they'd do it. We might not be rid of the problems, but they wouldn't be as bad.

But no, it has to be the hard way...

Honestly that community operated fragmented BS is why LA's transit network is a disaster we really should not try to be LA!!!!!!

I'd like to try an unorthodox approach to bus service. Instead of having all the bus service in the city run under a single service, what about setting up individual depots as community-owned IBOAs? Each depot would be responsible for covering its own utilities, fuel, maintenance costs, etc. and payroll services would be contracted out by the union to the lowest bidder every 3-5 years to save on overhead costs. Essentially the communities would be responsible for determining what bus service would be necessary for them, both to/from Manhattan and within the community itself. Longer lines crossing multiple districts such as the Q44, B46, etc. would be handled by multiple depots and collaboratively managed in much the same way WAS-BOS thru trains were managed by the PRR and the NYNH&B in past decades. Procurement of new buses would still be handled through the city, but that would be done through a separate procurement agency working more as a broker/middleman than a specification setter.

As far as finances go, I would permanently separate the operating and capital improvement budgets and prioritize operations over capital. Revenue would come from three places; a max $2 fare on local lines (max $5 for premium fare express service), a tax or dues paid by community members to their individual depots, and service fees assessed to industries, employers, etc. receiving service. Each community would be responsible for determining how much of their budget would come from the community dues and how much from fees assessed to businesses. The target profit (after operating budget) would be 5-10% of the operating budget, and this would go into a communal capital fund that would be used for depot rehab/upgrades, bus purchases, etc.

Administration of these IBOAs would be handled by community board members, who answer directly to their local communities. The community board or boards served by each IBOA would be responsible for setting up a transit committee; committee members would be responsible for making most adminstrative and financial decisions and for appointing a general manager responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the depot.

Due to the high fixed costs of operating a rail network, it would not be feasible to contract out the subways or the railroad system in the same manner as the buses. Thus, the subways and B&T should revert directly to NYCDOT and the railroads should revert directly to the state. Chairpeople responsible for operating each of these branches should be appointed by their respective executive branches (the mayor for subways and B&T and the governor for the railroads) but then be subject to two-thirds confirmation. In Albany the confirming body would be the state legislature (unfortunately) but in the city the confirming body would be the community boards as a collective unit. Each individual community board would be allowed one up/down vote on the subway agency head and one vote on the B&T head, and if two thirds of the community boards vote "yes" for a proposed candidate, that candidate would then be confirmed. SI community boards would be allowed votes for both agencies because the SIR is still an unofficial part of the subway system and would be handled as such.

Financing for the subway would be covered by a combination of a $2 fare and a "subway tax" similar to the existing (MTA) tax within the city, and rail service would be financed using the current zoned fare structure and an (MTA) tax similar to the one already in place in served counties. B&T excess funds (tolls gathered beyond necessary road upkeep and B&T operating costs) would be allowed to fund the subways, the rail system, and the capital improvement fund for the IBOAs (in that order of priority) as necessary.

As far as fare payment goes, MetroCards would still be used and free transfers between buses, subways, and rail lines would be allowed. For bus-to-bus and bus-to-subway transfers, MetroCard use would be logged by fareboxes and revenue would be split accordingly (for every transfer used $1 would go to the operator of the first bus (or subway) used and $1 to the second bus (or subway used). Transfers to and from rail and premium fare lines would include step-up charges similar to those currently in use for local bus-to-express bus transfers. The fare for the lower-priced service would be deducted from the fare of the higher-priced service and the higher-priced service would eat the cost of the transfer. Revenue from unlimited MetroCards would be distributed based on use patterns (the percentage of total card uses that took place on each agency would be equal to the percentage of revenue from the purchase of that card each agency receives) and all monthly/weekly rail tickets would be printed with a farebox-readable magnetic stripe and double as monthly/weekly MetroCards with the same revenue-sharing rules in existence as for regular unlimited MetroCards.

ERR NO!!!!! you know full well community operated bus lines DON'T WORK IN major cities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the MTA Bus side, the subsidies absolutely should be reduced; as others have said, the MTA Bus express service operated is overkill. I can't really fault how express buses are run under NYCT, except that more buses should be kept in the city during the midday. But very few MTA Bus express services would meet NYCT loading guidelines to warrant service outside of rush hours.

I would not go as far as Hawk Operator did, but I would apply NYCT loading guidelines to express buses. On the local bus side, some local routes do remain underserved. (For instance, on Woodhaven Boulevard, during the rush, there should be some Q53 short-turns running only between 157 Avenue and Queens Center Mall.)

Or we can make express buses open-door at off-peak hours to increase ridership instead of Q53 short turns make QM15 open door making only select stops. Apply a zone fare to express buses. During rush hour only express unlimited works. Outside make zone based fare and be done with it. hawk we can't axe all express buses but we can convert several DH's into revenue runs which will be short turns of a few express bus rtes like BM5 due to proximity to spring creek. And of course Short turns from yonkers as BXM3 superexpress and BXM7 superexpress. In queens college point QM2 short runs and better marketing of express buses add the express buses other than ones bound for staten island to the subway map. The new subway map will show all express buses except staten island bound ones. They will be colorcoded and marketed as manhattan direct. The new map will be called the express bus/Rapid train line map. It will show train lines and express bus lines for increased visability. Wasteful lines llike QM3 and a few others will get canned but other rtes like QM21 and X63 may be rerouted to avoid duplication. A zone based fare is created and a promotional off peak fare should be looked into if it succeeds in increasing ridership then it will be permanent. If not I am out of ideas ur ****** ppl.

1.Arcane rules: originally proposed and agreed to by: MTA Management

2.Pay raises every three years, not two seconds: just looks that way because who delays implementing them: MTA Management

3.Piggy bank? Talk with the way overbudget private contractor friends of: MTA Management

4. Who decided not to enforce its own fare policy, and cheats with two sets of books: MTA Management.

5. Work rules agreed to and enforced for decades by: MTA Management

Accept OPTO? Sure, and guarantee the carnage that continues to happen in WAMTA and other US based OPTO systems will not occur here.

By the way who are you referring to as a "morons?" This is a discussion page; it would seem that you are defending your position by use of insults, which usually is the only option available when you can't defend your POV with intelligent responses. As for hindering, MTA management has the ability to discuss and come to agreeable terms with any of its workforce unions, MTA just chooses not to because then they would be exposed for the fraud that most management personnel are. So before you point and blame the lowest rung on the MTA ladder, look at the 9-5 suits, the MTA's management team of incompetent college degreed decision and policy makers, and tell us how blue collar hourly’s are the reason for the MTA's multiple failings and rising costs when they are the only ones doing actual work!

chill out everybody in MTA is to blame to a certain extent

Archived