Should subsidies be reduced to the MTA?

Via Garibaldi 8

:)Thats a good one, ;) Please expand on this thought, explaining who, how, and the why is to "blame to certain extent?" I really look forward to hearing opinions on this type of issue.

now you want to cool down good I was worried there was going to be a rant.

Ok MTA management is incompetent in terms of managing money so real money managrs and competent accountants are needed. Also the union although not completely are a bit to blame due to some of their demands. And the different fragmented nature of their contracts make operating costs high and contribute to a fragmented network. Also as a result the express buses are as inefficient as they are due to their fragmented nature. If all the depots worked together on certain rtes then reverse services can improve allowing ppl who otherwise would need to drive the ability to use express buses and subways more effectively especially ppl from NJ and other parts.

The MTA board is oblivious to the rider experiences and although I commend walder for using LIB sometimes and revamping the website more needs to be done.

Accountability needs to be present for the managers who frequently delay our subways for BS reasons at rush hour alot of their last miniute decisions are retarted. As a result if you have to reach manhattan by a certain time ur better off with the express bus. The fare structure for express buses if changed could actually make them more efficient and reduce operating costs. However that can be done only on a route by route basis. Interlining buses accross depots will only be possible by a standard for maintanence at all depots and an organized run sheet for runs that exchange and ones that don't and guidelines for shifting resources at will would make a plan that otherwise can't be done become possible.

There needs to be a look into the future and MTA should consider creating a guideway network to eventually increase bus speeds. Especially in a way that allows buses to compete directly with cars. This is long term. The only short term ones I have involve areas outside NYC.

MTA entirely needs an overhaul culturewise and on all levels. The paper transfer needs to go period get the card or pay again!!!! There needs to be a fare structure that discourages cash payment.

Wow! Seriously the Qmaster with his best post to date on this board. Something most people could understand. ;) A miracle. What next the Mets winning the world series?:)

now you want to cool down good I was worried there was going to be a rant.

Ok MTA management is incompetent in terms of managing money so real money managrs and competent accountants are needed. Also the union although not completely are a bit to blame due to some of their demands. And the different fragmented nature of their contracts make operating costs high and contribute to a fragmented network. Also as a result the express buses are as inefficient as they are due to their fragmented nature. If all the depots worked together on certain rtes then reverse services can improve allowing ppl who otherwise would need to drive the ability to use express buses and subways more effectively especially ppl from NJ and other parts.

The MTA board is oblivious to the rider experiences and although I commend walder for using LIB sometimes and revamping the website more needs to be done.

Accountability needs to be present for the managers who frequently delay our subways for BS reasons at rush hour alot of their last miniute decisions are retarted. As a result if you have to reach manhattan by a certain time ur better off with the express bus. The fare structure for express buses if changed could actually make them more efficient and reduce operating costs. However that can be done only on a route by route basis. Interlining buses accross depots will only be possible by a standard for maintanence at all depots and an organized run sheet for runs that exchange and ones that don't and guidelines for shifting resources at will would make a plan that otherwise can't be done become possible.

There needs to be a look into the future and MTA should consider creating a guideway network to eventually increase bus speeds. Especially in a way that allows buses to compete directly with cars. This is long term. The only short term ones I have involve areas outside NYC.

MTA entirely needs an overhaul culturewise and on all levels. The paper transfer needs to go period get the card or pay again!!!! There needs to be a fare structure that discourages cash payment.

With that said, would you accept express buses were taken over by a private company i.e Coach USA, Veloia.

As a short term option, sure. But to address the long term, no. Expansion of subway lines from Lower Manhattan or Brooklyn into Staten Island would, I believe, be a more solid long term solution to problem.

I just don't believe that the continued reliance on express buses is financially sound decision. There are alternatives that could be enhanced to address a long term solution that would not rely on buses.

He's replied to express buses before and he would eliminate all of them and basically just tell folks to take the local bus to the ferry to the subway, so people on the South Shore of Staten Island would have a 2 1/2 hr commute to work or more each way.

Garibaldi is referring to this:

"I have alway believed more in rails then express buses for long commutes. Additionally, the USA should be investing in hi speed rail and completely real dedicated BRT routes to those hi speed rails and commuter lines in to major metro cities areas, getting people out of cars. But the use of express buses is too expensive for its few off peak riders and doesn't justify the associated costs".

Yes I have stated that opinion. After reading many posts and taking into account your opinions, much thought, and looking at maps and alternatives: expansion of subway service or creation of a light rail from lower Manhattan or Brooklyn into Staten Island would resolve the long term issue.

Wow! Seriously the Qmaster with his best post to date on this board. Something most people could understand. :) A miracle. What next the Mets winning the world series?:)

If I said this in the beginning my other ideas would actually be understood better. I learned the language and how to become easy to understand I learn from the replies of everyone. Now this was what I was trying to say the whole time the reason why my rte change ideas seemed wacky at first cause in order for them to work out properly the MTA's depots will have to be restructured and the MTA would have to change how they run their lines that was the thing that is needed to make my plans work a complete overhaul of how routes are managed. That was why few could fully understand my plans cause things internally and infrastructure like BRT guideways need to be built in order for my changes to even make sense otherwise they would crash and burn as others have said. This insight is the main structure all my plans share. MD,CT and NJ and dutchess all need to change the way they operate and manage routes and distribute runs then my route mergers in those areas and route changes would make sense once the internal stuff is resolved. My plans are hard to understand that much I know so I simplified a summary of all of em put together in a simple direct way. Since the states I looked at have zone fare structures my plans are easy to implement but on the operator level collaboration is needed to make effective use of resources.

As a short term option, sure. But to address the long term, no. Expansion of subway lines from Lower Manhattan or Brooklyn into Staten Island would, I believe, be a more solid long term solution to problem.

I just don't believe that the continued reliance on express buses is financially sound decision. There are alternatives that could be enhanced to address a long term solution that would not rely on buses.

true however the X1 is one of the few express buses that run at a profit!!!!

I think more should run through NJ and have an intermediate stop to enhance links to NJT

true however the X1 is one of the few express buses that run at a profit!!!!

I think more should run through NJ and have an intermediate stop to enhance links to NJT

The X1 doesn't turn a profit. When you consider the other variants, the weekday cost per passenger is $8.02. On the weekends, it is $4.83, but the average fare paid on the express buses is $3.99 (so there is a chance that the average fare paid is higher and it does turn a slight profit)

Archived