Old passageway between IRT and BMT at Times Square

dolowicz

Where is this you're talking about? the ramps, stairs and escalators leading down to the (7) platform?

Yes, I am talking about the ramps at the IRT Flushing station – sorry if I was unclear. There are still some ramps intact, although unaccessible to the public. The one I was referring to however, was closed to the public long before the rehabilitation of the complex started but should still be there, probably used for storage or similar.

Where is this you're talking about? the ramps, stairs and escalators leading down to the (7) platform?

Yes, I am talking about the ramps at the IRT Flushing station – sorry if I was unclear. There are still some ramps intact, although unaccessible to the public. The one I was referring to however, was closed to the public long before the rehabilitation of the complex started but should still be there, probably used for storage or similar.

Oh, I knew they completely reconfigured that area, and I thought removed some ramps and escalators (like now, you can go straight across on that middle level, and you couldn't do that before. It was a real maze back in the day), but I didn't know anything was closed off (other than the construction barriers during the work).

Oh, I knew they completely reconfigured that area, and I thought removed some ramps and escalators (like now, you can go straight across on that middle level, and you couldn't do that before. It was a real maze back in the day), but I didn't know anything was closed off (other than the construction barriers during the work).

You could see the boarded up ramps up until around 2005. Coming down the first two sets of ramps from the western side of the IRT Flushing station, you would then see the single escalator on your left side and then straight ahead you could see that the ramp continues down, but the entrance is completely sealed up.

So you would instead have to go left at the bottom and loop around the escalator and at the bottom you would reach the lower mezzanine level of the Flushing station. One staircase down and you would be at track level and there you could also see the single staircase leading up to the sealed off ramps.

Attaching a photo that shows this part, straight ahead you can see the boarded up ramp part. This would if opened up go straight down and then make a u-turn, dip down further and then meet up with the platform staircase.

9pmjdi.jpg

You could see the boarded up ramps up until around 2005. Coming down the first two sets of ramps from the western side of the IRT Flushing station, you would then see the single escalator on your left side and then straight ahead you could see that the ramp continues down, but the entrance is completely sealed up.

So you would instead have to go left at the bottom and loop around the escalator and at the bottom you would reach the lower mezzanine level of the Flushing station. One staircase down and you would be at track level and there you could also see the single staircase leading up to the sealed off ramps.

Attaching a photo that shows this part, straight ahead you can see the boarded up ramp part. This would if opened up go straight down and then make a u-turn, dip down further and then meet up with the platform staircase.

9pmjdi.jpg

You mean the exit in the 8th Avenue passageway? Probably not because of crime, because a manned exit / entrance would probably discourage crime.

There was however a sealed up ramp at the far side of the complex that probably closed in the early 1980s for crime reasons. It lead to the eastern most staircase (which was also blocked off). It could be seen up until the recent renovations, and the ramp is probably intact behind the new staircase and escalator which was installed then.

It was closed up by early mid 90s (92-95). That closed off ramp was a maze, we used to ride bikes down it late nights. Like 14th st tunnel from 7th to 8th aves. Sometimes to 6th ave.

With so many people now , there is no space to get around the system.

Those stairs were long to walk up though.

Feel like a rat in a maze.

S/F,

CEYA!

awx8ue.jpg

The above clip shows Times Square around 1999 before the recent renovations. If you jump 59 seconds into it, you can see the big set of stairs leading up from the BMT mezzanine up to the shuttle and transfer to the IRT lines.

On the left side next to it you can kind of make out a very narrow passage, this is the same location as on the diagram that would ramp down and have a door at the other end. It would have to ramp down to actually even be able to house a mezzanine underneath the shuttle platforms.

That part of the video was the stairs that was in front of the Florist after passing the Salsa shop. It was leading to the shuttle, if you watch the ladies turn they will be heading toward the IRT.

If they went right was an entrance/exit, and the old Knickerbocker Hotel entrance door.

If they walked straight it would have taken them to the shuttle and they old entrance to 1 Times Sq entrance and exit.

S/F,

CEYA!

It was closed up by early mid 90s (92-95). That closed off ramp was a maze, we used to ride bikes down it late nights. Like 14th st tunnel from 7th to 8th aves. Sometimes to 6th ave.

I always imagined there were a lot of skateboarders and bikers riding down the ramps in the 70s and 80s.

If you got any photos of this complex from before the last rehab, I would love to see them!

• 3 years later...

Neither was RollOver or Javier...

Back in the before era, where things were (somewhat) more peaceful lol

Yeah wow, just wow, well excuse me for being *stupid* enough to not notice and shouldn't have said anything at all... <_<

Yeah wow, just wow, well excuse me for being *stupid* enough to not notice and shouldn't have said anything at all... <_<

No need to be condescending about it. It was a simple statement, get out of your feelings already

Archived