Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Obama to annouce the withdrawl of at least 30,000 US troops from Afghanistan by end of 2012

President Obama will announce his Afghanistan troop withdrawal plan on Wednesday.

BY Aliyah Shahid

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, June 21st 2011,

"The troops are coming home, at least some of them

President Obama will announce his much-anticipated Afghanistan withdrawal plan on Wednesday, with one administration official telling CNN that the commander in chief will bring home 30,000 U.S. "surge" forces by the end of 2012.

Sources told the L.A. Times that about 10,000 troops will come home by the end of this year.

There are now 100,000 U.S. troops stationed in Afghanistan, including the 30,000 that Obama ordered late last year in an effort to curb rising violence.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney insisted earlier this week that Obama was still weighing his decision.

"The President has not yet even made a decision to announce," Carney said. "He's finalizing his decision. He's reviewing the options and the assessments and will have an announcement to make soon."

Obama has previously said the drawdown would begin in July in an effort to give Afghanistan complete control of its security by 2014.

The President faces a delicate balancing act after nearly 10 years since U.S. troops first landed in Afghanistan."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/06/21/2011-06-21_president_obama_plans_to_withdraw_30k_troops_from_afghanistan_by_end_of_2012_rep.html

Obama is full of sh1t, hes been saying this since he came into office and hasnt brought anyone home. Hes just trying to get re-elected.. Hes just another one term president. Get rid off his lying ass.

No doubt this is an election-year plan. Until recently the President had not made much comments on getting out of Afghanistan.

He was promising all this stuff a year and a half ago when he just got into office, he swore he would pull out of Iraq but hasnt.

He was promising all this stuff a year and a half ago when he just got into office, he swore he would pull out of Iraq but hasnt.

Honestly almost all politicans from the President down to a small town mayor has either done a 'white lie' or flip flops on issues. This is done for them to get elected/re-elected so it's part of the game. If you take that serious all the time, no one would be in office.

We have had been in the Middle East for 10 years, and it is going to be 11 years soon. We have killed Osama Bin Laden. We should be bring the troops home, but instead we got ourselves stuck in 4 freaking wars. Let me name them the War in Iraq, War in Afghanistan, War in Libya, and War in Yemen. How the hell are we in this big mess?

Honestly almost all politicans from the President down to a small town mayor has either done a 'white lie' or flip flops on issues. This is done for them to get elected/re-elected so it's part of the game. If you take that serious all the time, no one would be in office.

Yeah well he was the one that ran on the promise of "change" remember? :P

The whole point was that he was supposed to be different.

Yeah well he was the one that ran on the promise of "change" remember? :P

The whole point was that he was supposed to be different.

I never brought that crap Team Obama said in the campaign. While I did vote for Obama, it was mainly because McCain horrible choice for VP in a person that needs no introduction. Politcally I am an independent that has more in line with the Democratic Party(not afraid to vote GOP)though.

Not trying to assume but our other so called 'independent' voter friends on the board, Garibaldi=more leans on the GOP side and East NY=Democratic side that I have more in common with me.

With that said being around a brother in law who a GOP supporter has me becoming more supporting on some issues the Republicans. Problem is voters like me are being igorned by most in the media.

Back to topic, barring another huge international terroist attack or diaster, domestic issues will be the heart and soul of the next election. Obama's biggest 'enemy' in 2012 elections is not really anyone on the GOP ticket but the $$$ issues such as unemployment and jobs. 2012 is starting to become similar to 1992 when everyone at start of that year gave election to George Bush(Senior). We all know what happened when a then unknown Governor of a small southern state 'upset' GHW Bush in that election because of the economy then.

If the economy is still in this sluggish state or worse Obama does not get re-elected and the GOP could even send Elmer Fudd as their pick. If economy is improving he will win.

Edited by Shortline Bus

I never brought that crap Team Obama said in the campaign. While I did vote for Obama, it was mainly because McCain horrible choice for VP in a person that needs no introduction. Politcally I am an independent that has more in line with the Democratic Party(not afraid to vote GOP)though.

Not trying to assume but our other so called 'independent' voter friends on the board, Garibaldi=more leans on the GOP side and East NY=Democratic side that I have more in common with me.

With that said being around a brother in law who a GOP supporter has me becoming more supporting on some issues the Republicans. Problem is voters like me are being igorned by most in the media.

Back to topic, barring another huge international terroist attack or diaster, domestic issues will be the heart and soul of the next elextion. Obama's biggest 'enemy' in 2012 elections is not really anyone on the GOP ticket but the $$$ issues such as unemployment and jobs. 2012 is starting to become similar to 1992 when everyone at start of that year gave election to George Bush(Senior). We all know what happened when a then unknown Governor of a small southern state 'upset' GHW Bush in that election because of the economy then.

If the economy is still in this sluggish state or worse Obama does not get re-elected. If economy is improving he will win.

I wouldn't even consider myself a Republican. I am fiscally conservative and a believer of low taxes, but I am relatively moderate on other issues. I am also a protectionist, which most Republicans don't care for. That's why I am a huge fan of Lou Dobbs. I also like Mitt Romney because he seems to be taking a protectionist stance particularly on China. :P

I've actually voted for very few Republicans and have voted for more moderate Democrats like Chuck Schumer and third party candidates like Bob Barr and Ralph Nader. :cool: Nader and Barr both were big on protectionist measures. :cool:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Lets get the **** outta the Middle East. We destroyed Al-Queda, we killed Osama Bin Laden and we got rid of Saddam. Lets stop blowing our money on trying to help the primitive minded denizens of the Middle East who do not like us and protect our enemies (Pakistan hid Osama Bin Laden all those years!). Lets us start investing in OUR country for once.

We have had been in the Middle East for 10 years, and it is going to be 11 years soon. We have killed Osama Bin Laden. We should be bring the troops home, but instead we got ourselves stuck in 4 freaking wars. Let me name them the War in Iraq, War in Afghanistan, War in Libya, and War in Yemen. How the hell are we in this big mess?

Bush was the one that got us into this mess in the first place.he wanted to invade Iraq to finish what his father started,to get rid of Saddam Hussein.

Bush was the one that got us into this mess in the first place.he wanted to invade Iraq to finish what his father started,to get rid of Saddam Hussein.

I agree Iraq was a huge mistake. On Afghanistan, the moment OBL was killed was when they should've pulled out of there. The US is not there for nation building. If the Soviet Union couldn't handle that place, niether should the US. Afghanistan can't get their shit together, we can't stay there for more decades to help them on their feet. Let it fall just like south Vietnam did.

I agree Iraq was a huge mistake. On Afghanistan, the moment OBL was killed was when they should've pulled out of there. The US is not there for nation building. If the Soviet Union couldn't handle that place, niether should the US. Afghanistan can't get their shit together, we can't stay there for more decades to help them on their feet. Let it fall just like south Vietnam did.

Another factor that might be causing Obama to do this. The cost of US troops/equipment in Afgan alone(not counting the rest of the world)is almost $1 Trillion a year(if the article i read was correct)so alot of money there.

Sources

That word has no meaning to me anymore when it comes to news... the economy has taken swan dives every year because of this so called "war."

Watch as like 4,000 of them are stuck there in 2013 and whatever idiot we all elect next keeps them there. "Sources." Not good enough.