Atlantic Station Questions

lilbluefoxie

To answer your questions, it is possible to walk from Atlantic to Tottenville. It takes a few minutes. A flag stop means that the train only stops at the station if passengers request it and/or if the operator sees people on the platform. Since Atlantic station only holds one 75 foot car, the operator uses a key to open half a door to let the passengers out.

Also, all trains stop at Atlantic on weekends.

To answer your questions, it is possible to walk from Atlantic to Tottenville. It takes a few minutes. A flag stop means that the train only stops at the station if passengers request it and/or if the operator sees people on the platform. Since Atlantic station only holds one 75 foot car, the operator uses a key to open half a door to let the passengers out.

Also, all trains stop at Atlantic on weekends.

is there an exit to Ellis Street from Totenville near the Angelinas restaurant?

Atlantic, along with Nassau St., will seize to exist in the near future. They both will be replaced by an Arthur Killls Road station, which won't be a flag stop.

Are they doing anything over there? Because I haven't heard anything about that project.

I looked it up, the project is real. But at this rate it won't be done for awhile, just like the (T)...:(:cry::(

Ah, The famous full length Arthur Kill station that will lie halfway between Nassau and Atlantic stations.......

its a waste of money, theres nothing wrong wtih Nassau and Atlantic, just clean em up, repaint em, and lengthen the platforms and they are fine

I think a station in between would be better. One less stop = quicker ride. Plus at least it would appease the Atlantic Station rider.

On a similar note, Hewes and Lorimer on the (J)(M) should've been merged since both would've allowed for a direct transfer to the (G) below and cut out one stop overall. Now that'll take a few decades since they aren't going to tear up brand new platforms to build a new station. A missed opportunity just because the MTA wanted to rennovate than to try to do something different.

its a waste of money, theres nothing wrong wtih Nassau and Atlantic, just clean em up, repaint em, and lengthen the platforms and they are fine

...and make them full-time stops. The problem with the current stations is that they are only used when someone specifically has to get on or off. It's very confusing for people in Atlantic or Nassau. That's the only reason I would want an Arthur Kill Road stop...

On a completely different note, this is my 250th post!

I think a station in between would be better. One less stop = quicker ride. Plus at least it would appease the Atlantic Station rider.

On a similar note, Hewes and Lorimer on the (J)(M) should've been merged since both would've allowed for a direct transfer to the (G) below and cut out one stop overall. Now that'll take a few decades since they aren't going to tear up brand new platforms to build a new station. A missed opportunity just because the MTA wanted to rennovate than to try to do something different.

That's what they are doing. When Arthur Kill Road opens, Nassau and Atlantic close.

As for the Lorimer Street issue, they could have made an OOS transfer to the Broadway stop, but that's too good of an idea for the MTA to consider, sadly.

They want to make it into a park-and-ride station. Maybe they can't find the space near the existing Atlantic/Nassau stations.

The Atlantic and Nassau stations weren't originally intended as permenant stations. That's why they're so short (the Nassau station can barely fit 4 cars).

Also, there are plans to demolish the Richmond Valley station and replace it with a station closer to Page Avenue, which has more activity around it. They figured that the Nassau station would be too close to Page Avenue, so they decided to consolidate the 3 stations down to 2 stations.

As for the Lorimer Street issue, they could have made an OOS transfer to the Broadway stop, but that's too good of an idea for the MTA to consider, sadly.

I transfer between the (G) & (J) at Broadway / Lorimer Street alot on my subway trips. It's too bad they wont at least make an OOS transfer because during the summer I won't have an unlimited MetroCard to railfan :(.

I'm doing a trip to SIR during the summer, so when I can I will get shots of the stations & hopefully get a shot of the construction of the station :P.

Wikipedia is wrong (as it usually it is) Atlantic & Nassau aren't flag stops, at least they haven't been for a long time. We stop at both stations at all times on all local trains. Regarding the planned Arthur Kill Station, I've seen the plans and drawings. Looks pretty nice.

They want to make it into a park-and-ride station. Maybe they can't find the space near the existing Atlantic/Nassau stations.

The Atlantic and Nassau stations weren't originally intended as permenant stations. That's why they're so short (the Nassau station can barely fit 4 cars).

Also, there are plans to demolish the Richmond Valley station and replace it with a station closer to Page Avenue, which has more activity around it. They figured that the Nassau station would be too close to Page Avenue, so they decided to consolidate the 3 stations down to 2 stations.

They have plans to build a station at Page as well? O.o

Wikipedia is wrong (as it usually it is) Atlantic & Nassau aren't flag stops, at least they haven't been for a long time. We stop at both stations at all times on all local trains. Regarding the planned Arthur Kill Station, I've seen the plans and drawings. Looks pretty nice.

It's probably outdated, then. Why doesn't someone here change it? I don't have an account, so meh..

Archived