Transportation in Yonkers

Via Garibaldi 8

I have to visit a client in late August up in Yonkers and I had a few questions. I was considering taking the express bus (BXM1, BMX2 or the BXM3) to their terminus from my office in Midtown and then taking car service from there or taking MetroNorth and then taking car service from there. The client is located not too far from St. John's Riverside Hospital near the Greystone train station.

I was just wondering if any express buses go there past the Bronx/Westchester border or is MetroNorth to car service the only option?? :eek:

I'm thinking of just making a day of it since I will be meeting with my client from 14:00 to 16:30 and I would like to use the express buses at least part of the way going and coming since I don't get to use the BXM expresses that often and see what Riverdale and such is like and eat up there if there are any good spots for lunch. :cool: I have been up in Westchester but only by car.

The BxM3 takes you to Yonkers/Getty Sq. The closest bus is the BL-6 bus

I guess the BL-6 must be run by Bee Line right? Any idea if I could use my Unlimited Express Bus Plus card on the Bee Line routes? I would prefer to take a taxi, but I've got to figure out how far it would be from the BXM3. It may be just cheaper to take MetroNorth to car service. Where does the BL-6 go anyway?

The BxM3 will bring you as far as Getty Square in downtown Yonkers. That's as far as an MTA express bus will bring you into Westchester County.

Thanks. :cool:

I guess the BL-6 must be run by Bee Line right? Any idea if I could use my Unlimited Express Bus Plus card on the Bee Line routes? I would prefer to take a taxi, but I've got to figure out how far it would be from the BXM3. It may be just cheaper to take MetroNorth to car service. Where does the BL-6 go anyway?

The BL-6 is run by Bee Line. You can use your unlimited express bus metrocard on the Bee Line bus. The BxM3 will only take you as far as Getty Square. Since you said your client isn't too far from St John's Riverside Hospital, the W6 is the closest option. It operates between Yonkers and Pleasantville via North Broadway

I have to visit a client in late August up in Yonkers and I had a few questions. I was considering taking the express bus (BXM1, BMX2 or the BXM3) to their terminus from my office in Midtown and then taking car service from there or taking MetroNorth and then taking car service from there. The client is located not too far from St. John's Riverside Hospital near the Greystone train station.

I was just wondering if any express buses go there past the Bronx/Westchester border or is MetroNorth to car service the only option?? :eek:

I'm thinking of just making a day of it since I will be meeting with my client from 14:00 to 16:30 and I would like to use the express buses at least part of the way going and coming since I don't get to use the BXM expresses that often and see what Riverdale and such is like and eat up there if there are any good spots for lunch. :cool: I have been up in Westchester but only by car.

The only bus that goes north of the Bronx/Westchester border is the BxM3 (the BxM1/2 travel along Riverdale Avenue, and only connect with the BL-8, which doesn't go where you need to go)

To get near the hospital, you'll have to take the BL-1, BL-2, or BL-6.

Here is the BL-2 schedule: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_2_timetable.pdf

Here is the BL-6 schedule: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_6_timetable.pdf

Going northbound, it runs fairly frequently, but coming southbound, you'll have to look at the schedule to make sure you catch the bus.

Here is the BL-1 schedule (you'll be on the main portion of the route so the branches won't matter): http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_1_1C_1T_1W_timetable.pdf

I believe it leaves you off near the back of the hospital, near the railroad station.

Here is a map of the bus system, in case you decide that your client is close enough to a bus route that you won't have to take car service: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf

You should be fine going to Yonkers on the BXM3 Garbaldi. I won't repeat everything the other guys said because they correct. Only issue is the traffic along the Major Degan. Sometimes buses run very late because of it.

Keep in mind going back to midtown the BXM3 is off peak and runs about every hour from Getty Sq I think after 7pm-last bus leaves around 11pm. Getty Sq/Dowtown Yonkers(after 8pm)when most of the stores/businesses are closed IMO is not that great. No offense to those who live there.

The other options going back to the 'city' are

1)Hudson line at Greystone but they run every hour GCT-bound after 7pm.

2)Take the BL-2 or BL-1 to 242nd/Van Corlandt and transfer to the (1). I know you not a fan of the subway but sugegsting that option.

I sometimes take the BXM3 as alternative to Metro North myself for busfanning purposes and mainly to transfer to the X-28 or BM2 to see relatives or friends in Brooklyn.

The only bus that goes north of the Bronx/Westchester border is the BxM3 (the BxM1/2 travel along Riverdale Avenue, and only connect with the BL-8, which doesn't go where you need to go)

To get near the hospital, you'll have to take the BL-1, BL-2, or BL-6.

Here is the BL-2 schedule: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_2_timetable.pdf

Here is the BL-6 schedule: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_6_timetable.pdf

Going northbound, it runs fairly frequently, but coming southbound, you'll have to look at the schedule to make sure you catch the bus.

Here is the BL-1 schedule (you'll be on the main portion of the route so the branches won't matter): http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_1_1C_1T_1W_timetable.pdf

I believe it leaves you off near the back of the hospital, near the railroad station.

Here is a map of the bus system, in case you decide that your client is close enough to a bus route that you won't have to take car service: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf

Well it looks like BL-2 would work best for me, although I could use the BL-6 too. Their last stop on the BL-2 appears to be where I'm going, but this appears to be a large area, with multiple businesses there, so I'm wondering do these two buses go inside of the complex or would I have to do a large amount of walking? I'll PM to tell you exactly where I'm going. :cool:

You should be fine going to Yonkers on the BXM3 Garbaldi. I won't repeat everything the other guys said because they correct. Only issue is the traffic along the Major Degan. Sometimes buses run very late because of it.

Keep in mind going back to midtown the BXM3 is off peak and runs about every hour from Getty Sq I think after 7pm-last bus leaves around 11pm. Getty Sq/Dowtown Yonkers(after 8pm)when most of the stores/businesses are closed IMO is not that great. No offense to those who live there.

The other options going back to the 'city' are

1)Hudson line at Greystone but they run every hour GCT-bound after 7pm.

2)Take the BL-2 or BL-1 to 242nd/Van Corlandt and transfer to the (1). I know you not a fan of the subway but sugegsting that option.

I sometimes take the BXM3 as alternative to Metro North myself for busfanning purposes and mainly to transfer to the X-28 or BM2 to see relatives or friends in Brooklyn.

LOL... Well how is the immediate area where the BXM3 terminates? My thinking was to stop off for lunch before and then either take car service or the BL-2 or BL-6. If it's crappy, I'll just eat lunch in Midtown and then get on the BXM3 from there. It looks like from the BXM3 it's maybe a 15 minute ride on the bus is that right? I'm also curious about how the buses are? I know it's Yonkers and I'm thinking it'll be nice and suburban but I could be wrong. I'm not in the mood for the rah rah and BS, so if it's anything like some of the local bus routes on Staten Island I'll just hop in a cab from there.

LOL... Well how is the immediate area where the BXM3 terminates? My thinking was to stop off for lunch before and then either take car service or the BL-2 or BL-6. If it's crappy, I'll just eat lunch in Midtown and then get on the BXM3 from there. It looks like from the BXM3 it's maybe a 15 minute ride on the bus is that right? I'm also curious about how the buses are? I know it's Yonkers and I'm thinking it'll be nice and suburban but I could be wrong. I'm not in the mood for the rah rah and BS, so if it's anything like some of the local bus routes on Staten Island I'll just hop in a cab from there.

The part of Yonkers (called Downtown or the West Side)is similar to the South Bronx in terms of demographics. It's the East Side (area by the Cross County on the BL-20)and Yonkers Raceway that 'more suburan.'

Again after 8pm most of the family owned diners are closed. There a Subway/Dunkin Donuts(not sure what time they close)next to a Shoprite on Riverdale Ave.

That why i suggested as alternative taking the (1) subway at 242 especially after 9pm if you miss the BXM3 back to Midtown. Also best option back to the 'city' is to take a cab to Yonkers-Getty Sq station and use the metro north (if you can afford it)where both the local and express to GCT runs every 30 minutes until around 11pm.

The part of Yonkers (called Downtown or the West Side)is similar to the South Bronx in terms of demographics. It's the East Side (area by the Cross County on the BL-20)and Yonkers Raceway that 'more suburan.'

Again after 8pm most of the family owned diners are closed. There a Subway/Dunkin Donuts(not sure what time they close)next to a Shoprite on Riverdale Ave.

That why i suggested as alternative taking the (1) subway at 242 especially after 9pm if you miss the BXM3 back to Midtown. Also best option back to the 'city' is to take a cab to Yonkers-Getty Sq station and use the metro north (if you can afford it)where both the local and express to GCT runs every 30 minutes until around 11pm.

Yeah, the cab thing doesn't matter as I'll just get my boss to reimburse me or I'll get petty cash, but I think I'd rather take the BXM3 going and coming this way I can transfer to the express bus back to Staten Island easier since the BXM3 runs along 5th Ave. It looks the name of the area where I'll be is "Executive Plaza". So from the BXM3 to there, any idea roughly how long that is? It looks like on the bus it would be 15 minutes or so, so by cab it would be relatively inexpensive at say $10 each way no?

Also if you know of any good cab services there that would be great. :cool:

Regarding your food suggestions, looks like I'd be better off eating in Midtown. I was thinking there would be somewhere elegant and unique to eat at as my thinking was Yonkers was an upscale area. Diners aren't really my cup of tea. LOL

Yeah, the cab thing doesn't matter as I'll just get my boss to reimburse me or I'll get petty cash, but I think I'd rather take the BXM3 going and coming this way I can transfer to the express bus back to Staten Island easier since the BXM3 runs along 5th Ave. It looks the name of the area where I'll be is "Executive Plaza". So from the BXM3 to there, any idea roughly how long that is? It looks like on the bus it would be 15 minutes or so, so by cab it would be relatively inexpensive at say $10 each way no?

Regarding your food suggestions, looks like I'd be better off eating in Midtown. I was thinking there would be somewhere elegant and unique to eat at as my thinking was Yonkers was an upscale area. Diners aren't really my cup of tea. LOL

You do what you want Garbaldi. I was suggesting Metro North at Yonkers/Getty Sq. since the BXM3 runs every hour Manhattan Bound after 530pm till last bus at 1130pm. Metro North back to the 'city' runs about every 30 minutes(Local and Express).

I could be wrong but I think "executive park/blvd.' is other side of Yonkers northbound towards the next town Hastings.Where Cablevision has their Westchester County offices.

Here the BXM3 schedule. I am not sure you want to wait up to an hour for a BXM3 in middle of a evening (not trying to scare you)in area that not so great when most of the stores and business are closed.

There a small waterfront/park area at the Yonkers/Getty Sq.train station(not sure the weather then)about 3-4 blocks from the BXM3.

Again I offered my takes/advice so don't come crying to us waiting a long time for a bus.:)

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm3cur.pdf

You do what you want Garbaldi. I was suggesting Metro North at Yonkers/Getty Sq. since the BXM3 runs every hour Manhattan Bound after 530pm till last bus at 1130pm. Metro North back to the 'city' runs about every 30 minutes(Local and Express).

I could be wrong but I think "executive park/blvd.' is other side of Yonkers northbound towards the next town Hastings.Where Cablevision has their Westchester County offices.

Here the BXM3 schedule. I am not sure you want to wait up to an hour for a BXM3 in middle of a evening (not trying to scare you)in area that not so great when most of the stores and business are closed.

There a small waterfront/park area at the Yonkers/Getty Sq.train station(not sure the weather then)about 3-4 blocks from the BXM3.

Again I offered my takes/advice so don't come crying to us waiting a long time for a bus.:)

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm3cur.pdf

Geez, it's that bad huh? What would you compare it to in terms of a NYC neighbourhood? I'm asking because I'm a bit surprised. A buddy of mine lives in Yonkers so I'll ask his advice as well.

Geez, it's that bad huh? What would you compare it to in terms of a NYC neighbourhood? I'm asking because I'm a bit surprised.

Not trying to scare you and the chances of getting in 'trouble' are very small in Downtown Yonkers after 9pm. I say Downtown Yonkers is smilar smaller in size/enivorment to say the following NYC neighborhoods. Further Downtown(away from the Yonkers train station) is worse.

1)St George in SI

2)Bed Stuvy in Brooklyn

3)East Harlem

For someone 'new' to area that why i suggested Metro North. Plus a few sportsbars for the professional/suburan types are only open Friday/Sat Nights.

Just my takes and your call buddy.

I've been to that hospital before on a couple occasions, so I know the immediate area.... yeah, as the others said, the BL-6 stops in front of there...

....but you say your client or w/e is near that hospital.... Do you know if he/she's closer to MNRR Greystone, or closer to north broadway (that's where the hospital is)?.... believe me, you don't want to walk from MNRR Greystone to North broadway - I made that mistake, and had to walk up a hilly, winding road (in dress shoes, no less)... my feet was hurtin the whole day.... the walk from the RR to get back to warburton (the main road) wasn't no picnic either..... anyway, for the return trip, I ended up taking the 6 to the 1C to 242nd st (1).....

forget about taking the BxM1 or the BxM2; they stop dead at the county line on the other side of riverdale (along riverdale av)... and the BL-8 does you no good (aside from the fact that it runs like shit... lol)...

your only option is the Bxm3 (which goes down broadway), and as everyone said, that takes you to Getty square in downtown Yonkers... forget about walking from Getty sq. to Greystone (if that was also an option you were considering); it's about 2-3 miles away....

- if your client is closer to the RR station, you'll have to find your way to any of the BL1's (BL-1c, 1w, 1t; whichever one you take will make no difference to you; meaning your chances of catching a bus becomes very good)...

- if your client is closer to the hospital, take your BxM3 to getty square, and make your way to main/broadway for the BL-6; can't miss it, it's usually a crowd of ppl over there waiting for different buses....

Not trying to scare you and the chances of getting in 'trouble' are very small in Downtown Yonkers after 9pm. I say Downtown Yonkers is smilar smaller in size/enivorment to say the following NYC neighborhoods. Further Downtown(away from the Yonkers train station) is worse.

1)St George in SI

2)Bed Stuvy in Brooklyn

3)East Harlem

For someone 'new' to area that why i suggested Metro North. Plus a few sportsbars for the professional/suburan types are only open Friday/Sat Nights.

Just my takes and your call buddy.

Again you should ok in Getty Sq. The big issue is that the stops on the BXM3 does not have seats to sit on and standing for up to a hour can be a pain. That was my whole point.

Again you should ok in Getty Sq. The big issue is that the stops on the BXM3 does not have seats to sit on and standing for up to a hour can be a pain. That was my whole point.

Oh, well that's not a problem. I'll have the schedule on my laptop so if I see that I won't be able to catch the BXM3, I'll just have the cab drop me off by MetroNorth if need be.

Oh, well that's not a problem. I'll have the schedule on my laptop so if I see that I won't be able to catch the BXM3, I'll just have the cab drop me off by MetroNorth if need be.

Great idea:tup:. And make sure you go to the Yonkers/Getty Sq station via the cab if you do use the train. The nearby(to the hosptial)Greystone station is a local station and weekday evenings GCT-Bound they run only every hour like the BXM3.

At Getty Sq it's every 20-30 minutes.

Well it looks like BL-2 would work best for me, although I could use the BL-6 too. Their last stop on the BL-2 appears to be where I'm going, but this appears to be a large area, with multiple businesses there, so I'm wondering do these two buses go inside of the complex or would I have to do a large amount of walking? I'll PM to tell you exactly where I'm going. :cool:

well this answers my question in the prior post.... executive plaza....

well, the BL-2 stops in there regardless, the BL-6 stops in there rush hours only IINM....

Getty Square is full of the BS; it's downtown Yonkers... whole lotta nzzzzz shit goes on there.... it's nothin for me, but probably not your cup of tea...

from getty sq to executive plaza is about 2-3 miles.... executive plaza is about a block or two to the east of the hospital....

Yonkers encompasses a large area... there's a gritty part, and there's little enclaves that more middle class.... the more north you go (past getty sq), the better the areas get; generally speaking....

There is NOTHING elegant about getty sq, lemme tell ya... lol

Geez, it's that bad huh? What would you compare it to in terms of a NYC neighbourhood? I'm asking because I'm a bit surprised. A buddy of mine lives in Yonkers so I'll ask his advice as well.

I would compare getty square (general area) to fulton mall in brooklyn, or jamaica av (shopping strip) in queens.... much less dense of course, but it has the same general feel....

I've been to that hospital before on a couple occasions, so I know the immediate area.... yeah, as the others said, the BL-6 stops in front of there...

....but you say your client or w/e is near that hospital.... Do you know if he/she's closer to MNRR Greystone, or closer to north broadway (that's where the hospital is)?.... believe me, you don't want to walk from MNRR Greystone to North broadway - I made that mistake, and had to walk up a hilly, winding road (in dress shoes, no less)... my feet was hurtin the whole day.... the walk from the RR to get back to warburton (the main road) wasn't no picnic either..... anyway, for the return trip, I ended up taking the 6 to the 1C to 242nd st (1).....

forget about taking the BxM1 or the BxM2; they stop dead at the county line on the other side of riverdale (along riverdale av)... and the BL-8 does you no good (aside from the fact that it runs like shit... lol)...

your only option is the Bxm3 (which goes down broadway), and as everyone said, that takes you to Getty square in downtown Yonkers... forget about walking from Getty sq. to Greystone (if that was also an option you were considering); it's about 2-3 miles away....

- if your client is closer to the RR station, you'll have to find your way to any of the BL1's (BL-1c, 1w, 1t; whichever one you take will make no difference to you; meaning your chances of catching a bus becomes very good)...

- if your client is closer to the hospital, take your BxM3 to getty square, and make your way to main/broadway for the BL-6; can't miss it, it's usually a crowd of ppl over there waiting for different buses....

Yeah, the client is not too far from the Greystone station. Looks like from Google maps the area where I'm going over by Executive Plaza doesn't have any sidewalks though. I'm actually going by Montefiore Medical Center to clear up all of the confusion. Figure this will make things easier. :) So in the event that I couldn't get a cab for whatever reason, would you recommend taking the Bee Line bus?

Yeah, the client is not too far from the Greystone station. Looks like from Google maps the area where I'm going over by Executive Plaza doesn't have any sidewalks though. I'm actually going by Montefiore Medical Center to clear up all of the confusion. Figure this will make things easier. :P So in the event that I couldn't get a cab for whatever reason, would you recommend taking the Bee Line bus?

you can take the BL-1 BL-2 or BL-6 to Getty Sq. However after 7pm weeknights combined they run about every 20-30 minutes to Getty Sq/242nd St area.

Again make sure you get off at the Getty Sq area. ON THE BL 1/2 it's about a 2-block walk and the BL-6 I think(have not rode that much)takes you straight there.

you can take the BL-1 BL-2 or BL-6 to Getty Sq. However after 7pm weeknights combined they run about every 20-30 minutes to Getty Sq/242nd St area.

Again make sure you get off at the Getty Sq area. ON THE BL 1/2 it's about a 2-block walk and the BL-6 I think(have not rode that much)takes you straight there.

None of the Bl-1's will do him any good... from executive plaza to warburton is too much of a trek....

Yeah, the client is not too far from the Greystone station. Looks like from Google maps the area where I'm going over by Executive Plaza doesn't have any sidewalks though. I'm actually going by Montefiore Medical Center to clear up all of the confusion. Figure this will make things easier. :P So in the event that I couldn't get a cab for whatever reason, would you recommend taking the Bee Line bus?

If you can't catch a cab, yes, I would recommend bee line... the BL-6 is reliable, and the BL-2 (while not as frequent as the 6) is timely.... you may be exposed to seeing the riff-raff on the BL-6, but these are people most likely coming from white plains, or dobbs ferry... nothin to be worried about in terms of safety though....

The area itself, is safe... like I said earlier, the more north you go past getty square, the better the areas tend to get....

again, the 2 drops you off right inside executive plaza.... for the return trip, if you get too impatient, you can walk about 5 minutes over to North Broadway & wait for the BL-6....

I'm pretty sure it is the opposite: The BL-1/2 go straight there, and the BL-6 stops a block away.

If you were on the BL-2, I would recommend taking it to 242nd Street. It is a safer area than Yonkers, and you gain the option of the (1) train or Bx9 bus to the BxM1/2, while keeping the option of the BxM3.

None of the Bl-1's will do him any good... from executive plaza to warburton is too much of a trek....

ok, now I'm not confused as to where exactly it is you're goin...

If you can't catch a cab, yes, I would recommend bee line... the BL-6 is reliable, and the BL-2 (while not as frequent as the 6) is timely.... you may be exposed to seeing the riff-raff on the BL-6, but these are people most likely coming from white plains, or dobbs ferry... nothin to be worried about in terms of safety though....

again, the 2 drops you off right inside executive plaza.... for the return trip, if you get too impatient, you can walk about 5 minutes over to North Broadway & wait for the BL-6....

Sounds like this will be interesting. I'm asking these questions because I know I will be there with at least a tie on if not a suit depending on how hot it is in August and I don't want to be hot and aggravated going to meet this client since I'll be stuck there for a good 3 hours when it's said and done. :mad: Now what about car service? Any suggestions off hand?

I'm pretty sure it is the opposite: The BL-1/2 go straight there, and the BL-6 stops a block away.

If you were on the BL-2, I would recommend taking it to 242nd Street. It is a safer area than Yonkers, and you gain the option of the (1) train or Bx9 bus to the BxM1/2, while keeping the option of the BxM3.

let's not confuse the guy... let's put this to bed:

- the last stop on the NB BxM3 is AT getty square (ON Broadway, at main st)... whether the driver puts him off to the left of the triangle or just short of the triangle, is up to the driver....

- from there, all via would have to do (coming off the BxM3):

1) while walking straight, is to cross main street... that's where he can catch the BL-6; there is usually a swarm of waiting passengers over there....

2) the BL-2 stops at the right side of the triangle

(where broadway splits off @ getty sq, and turns into palisade av).....

- BL1's don't stop AT getty sq.... they turn off at prospect (about 1 or 2 blocks south of getty sq) & turn up warburton...

Sounds like this will be interesting. I'm asking these questions because I know I will be there with at least a tie on if not a suit depending on how hot it is in August and I don't want to be hot and aggravated going to meet this client since I'll be stuck there for a good 3 hours when it's said and done. :mad: Now what about car service? Any suggestions off hand?

I understand... Someone walkin around w/ a suit in the middle of the day at Getty sq. will stick out like a sore thumb..... and of course, you don't wanna go to your meeting sweaty & stinkin....

To be honest with you, I wouldn't trust the cabs in & around Yonkers (you might get dirty looks from the drivers when you tell them you wanna go to executive plaza)....

anyway, the best place to catch them is at the RR station (MNRR Yonkers), which is about a 5-7 min. walk (to the west) from getty sq.... Your chances of catching a cab at getty square itself, is poor...

Archived