Transportation in Yonkers

Via Garibaldi 8

let's not confuse the guy... let's put this to bed:

- the last stop on the NB BxM3 is AT getty square (ON Broadway, at main st)... whether the driver puts him off to the left of the triangle or just short of the triangle, is up to the driver....

- from there, all via would have to do (coming off the BxM3):

1) while walking straight, is to cross main street... that's where he can catch the BL-6; there is usually a swarm of waiting passengers over there....

2) the BL-2 stops at the right side of the triangle

(where broadway splits off @ getty sq, and turns into palisade av).....

- BL1's don't stop AT getty sq.... they turn off at prospect (about 1 or 2 blocks south of getty sq) & turn up warburton...

I understand... Someone walkin around w/ a suit in the middle of the day at Getty sq. will stick out like a sore thumb..... and of course, you don't wanna go to your meeting sweaty & stinkin....

To be honest with you, I wouldn't trust the cabs in & around Yonkers (you might get dirty looks from the drivers when you tell them you wanna go to executive plaza)....

anyway, the best place to catch them is at the RR station (MNRR Yonkers), which is about a 5-7 min. walk (to the west) from getty sq.... Your chances of catching a cab at getty square itself, is poor...

LOL@ Executive Plaza comment... Very interesting. Must be some big wigs over there I guess. I think I'm going to do a dry run up there one weekend using the BXM3 and maybe I'll check out Riverdale too using the BXM1 and BXM2 and see the deal for myself. I'll be dressed down in jeans so I can inspect things. :P I've been up by 242nd street near Van Cortlandt Park years ago just to see what the area was like so I have an idea more or less of what to expect. I was surprised at how urban it felt being that for North in the Bronx.

let's not confuse the guy... let's put this to bed:

- the last stop on the NB BxM3 is AT getty square (ON Broadway, at main st)... whether the driver puts him off to the left of the triangle or just short of the triangle, is up to the driver....

- from there, all via would have to do (coming off the BxM3):

1) while walking straight, is to cross main street... that's where he can catch the BL-6; there is usually a swarm of waiting passengers over there....

2) the BL-2 stops at the right side of the triangle

(where broadway splits off @ getty sq, and turns into palisade av).....

- BL1's don't stop AT getty sq.... they turn off at prospect (about 1 or 2 blocks south of getty sq) & turn up warburton...

I understand... Someone walkin around w/ a suit in the middle of the day at Getty sq. will stick out like a sore thumb..... and of course, you don't wanna go to your meeting sweaty & stinkin....

To be honest with you, I wouldn't trust the cabs in & around Yonkers (you might get dirty looks from the drivers when you tell them you wanna go to executive plaza)....

anyway, the best place to catch them is at the RR station (MNRR Yonkers), which is about a 5-7 min. walk (to the west) from getty sq.... Your chances of catching a cab at getty square itself, is poor...

I was referring to going back to NYC. At 7PM on a summer evening, I would rather be near Van Cortlandt Park than near Getty Square (plus, the BxM3 bus stop is easier to find in The Bronx than in Yonkers)

I was referring to going back to NYC. At 7PM on a summer evening, I would rather be near Van Cortlandt Park than near Getty Square (plus, the BxM3 bus stop is easier to find in The Bronx than in Yonkers)

The BXM3 does not stop(pick up or drop off)at 242nd. Maybe B35 can confirm the exact stop but I think the closest stop is somewhere around 246-248 Street about 5 blocks from the (1) station there.

Also during the current long term GO that closes the (1) line between 242 and 168 on most weekends, I seen quiet a number of riders wanting to board a Manhattan-bound BXM3 at 242 but those buses zoom on by.

Oh, well that's not a problem. I'll have the schedule on my laptop so if I see that I won't be able to catch the BXM3, I'll just have the cab drop me off by MetroNorth if need be.

buses go to metro-north just use metro-north to yonkers then walk 5 mins to the BL-6 the BXM3 yeah right that bus is slow.

The BXM3 does not stop(pick up or drop off)at 242nd. Maybe B35 can confirm the exact stop but I think the closest stop is somewhere around 246-248 Street about 5 blocks from the (1) station there.

Also during the current long term GO that closes the (1) line between 242 and 168 on most weekends, I seen quiet a number of riders wanting to board a Manhattan-bound BXM3 at 242 but those buses zoom on by.

I just checked the schedule and it says that the nearest stop is Broadway/244th Street. But my point was to get into the Bronx, to avoid being stuck waiting in that part of Yonkers (plus, like I said, it gives you a couple of alternate routes).

buses go to metro-north just use metro-north to yonkers then walk 5 mins to the BL-6 the BXM3 yeah right that bus is slow.

Metro-North doesn't take Unlimited MetroCards.

If he wants to take the express bus, let him take the express bus. It's his time, not yours.

LOL@ Executive Plaza comment... Very interesting. Must be some big wigs over there I guess. I think I'm going to do a dry run up there one weekend using the BXM3 and maybe I'll check out Riverdale too using the BXM1 and BXM2 and see the deal for myself. I'll be dressed down in jeans so I can inspect things. :P I've been up by 242nd street near Van Cortlandt Park years ago just to see what the area was like so I have an idea more or less of what to expect. I was surprised at how urban it felt being that for North in the Bronx.

....then I guess you saw the swarm of people in Van cortlandt park playing soccer, baseball, or throwing barbeque's all over the place.... not to mention the swarm that were waiting for the bee-line buses....

if you have the time (or are curious enough), you should trek through fieldston (the area between riverdale av & broadway north of 242nd st subway sta.)... you'll like it; me personally, I felt like a fish out of water, but it's very serene, has its own security, and multi-million dollar homes all over the place.... the sidewalks & roadways are in horrid condition, though; that's the one negative

anyway, coming back from Yonkers, I agree w/ checkmate (not for his reason though)... you're better off takin the 2 from end-to-end (executive plz. is the last stop on the BL-2)... this way, you increase your options heading back home; esp. after 7pm where the express bus runs every hr (as shortline stated).... from where the bee line buses put you off at the subway station, you'll have to walk back up a couple blocks to the nearest express bus stop, though....

(see my reply to shortline, below)

....however, I agree w/ you in (wanting to) take the express bus to yonkers to the BL-2, over taking the (1) to 242nd, to then having to take the BL-2 up there... that bus stop @ 242nd can be (and often is) a madhouse - esp. during summers, esp. during the pm hrs.... you don't want to be on ANY of those bee line buses heading NB out of 242nd - unless you have your advil, and boombox type speakers handy on to drown out the noise !

all this beeline talk, now I feel like bee line fanning... haven't done it in months....

yup... the BxM3 doesn't stop at the subway station (which would defeat the purpose anyway... lol); the nearest southbound stop is well north of that burger king.... I don't know what block that is; think it's 245th or 246th.... next stop north of that is at 251st....

....then I guess you saw the swarm of people in Van cortlandt park playing soccer, baseball, or throwing barbeque's all over the place.... not to mention the swarm that were waiting for the bee-line buses....

if you have the time (or are curious enough), you should trek through fieldston (the area between riverdale av & broadway north of 242nd st subway sta.)... you'll like it; me personally, I felt like a fish out of water, but it's very serene, has its own security, and multi-million dollar homes all over the place.... the sidewalks & roadways are in horrid condition, though; that's the one negative

anyway, coming back from Yonkers, I agree w/ checkmate (not for his reason though)... you're better off takin the 2 from end-to-end (executive plz. is the last stop on the BL-2)... this way, you increase your options heading back home; esp. after 7pm where the express bus runs every hr (as shortline stated).... from where the bee line buses put you off at the subway station, you'll have to walk back up a couple blocks to the nearest express bus stop, though....

(see my reply to shortline, below)

....however, I agree w/ you in (wanting to) take the express bus to yonkers to the BL-2, over taking the (1) to 242nd, to then having to take the BL-2 up there... that bus stop @ 242nd can be (and often is) a madhouse - esp. during summers, esp. during the pm hrs.... you don't want to be on ANY of those bee line buses heading NB out of 242nd - unless you have your advil, and boombox type speakers handy on to drown out the noise !

all this beeline talk, now I feel like bee line fanning... haven't done it in months....

yup... the BxM3 doesn't stop at the subway station (which would defeat the purpose anyway... lol); the nearest southbound stop is well north of that burger king.... I don't know what block that is; think it's 245th or 246th.... next stop north of that is at 251st....

One of my reasons was because of the extra options, but I felt that safety would be more of a priority for him (it doesn't really matter: Now he knows for sure that the best way is to go into The Bronx).

In any case, just out of curiosity, how is the ridership like on the BL-1/2? I would assume that the buses are more crowded south of Getty Square, because of the subway connection, but is that the case? I remember waiting for the BxM3 once in Yonkers and seeing a bunch of Bronx-bound buses pass by, that seemed to have a decent load on them, but I'm wondering how the ridership is north of Getty Square.

I don't think it would be too crazy if the BxM3 stopped near the subway station. The BxM11 does it and it seems to be alright ridership-wise. It would provide an easier way to reach the East Side of Manhattan.

Not to get off topic guys. However how about these ideas for the Riverdale/Yonkers area express/local buses.

1)BXM3-Remains the same. Midtown evening service ends earlier.

Last Bus from Getty Sq-weekdays-1030pm Saturdays-930pm Sundays-830pm.

2)BXM2-Sunday Service is cut. BXM1 replaces it.

3)BXm18-extended via Riverdale Ave to/from Getty Sq. Gives Yonkers/Riverdale Ave riders access to Lower Manhattan.

4)Extend the W(BL)-8 via Riverdale Ave to the 231st/Bway (1)station weekdays only. Weeekends still starts/ends at 262nd/Riverdale Ave.

5)BL-4 runs until 130am Monday-Saturdays(hourly after 10pm)and Midnight Sundays between Bedford Park and Getty Sq.

As I have discussed in earlier thread here, the BL-1 and BL-20 would become 24/7 service.

reactions?

2) I'm not sure if the BxM2 should be eliminated on Sundays: It doesn't get that many riders per bus, but it is farily cost-efficient,

3) I'll agree with you about that, since Metro-North doesn't go Downtown (though you have to consider that this could take away some revenue from the MTA, as the express bus fare is lower than the Metro-North+subway fare)

4) I don't think that's necessary, since the BL-1/2/3 run fairly frequently on Broadway.

5) Agree, especially since there is no late night service on Metro-North.

By the way, where would you run the BL-1 overnights? Between Getty Square and 242nd Street. Maybe a Bx9 extension would be better for that.

Not to get off topic guys. However how about these ideas for the Riverdale/Yonkers area express/local buses.

3)BXm18-extended via Riverdale Ave to/from Getty Sq. Gives Yonkers/Riverdale Ave riders access to Lower Manhattan.

4)Extend the W(BL)-8 via Riverdale Ave to the 231st/Bway (1)station weekdays only. Weeekends still starts/ends at 262nd/Riverdale Ave.

5)BL-4 runs until 130am Monday-Saturdays(hourly after 10pm)and Midnight Sundays between Bedford Park and Getty Sq.

As I have discussed in earlier thread here, the BL-1 and BL-20 would become 24/7 service.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29368

reactions?

I just checked the schedule and it says that the nearest stop is Broadway/244th Street. But my point was to get into the Bronx, to avoid being stuck waiting in that part of Yonkers (plus, like I said, it gives you a couple of alternate routes).

southbound? that's a mistake then...

I present to you, the general area of 242nd st/broadway:

8649234.gif

you'll see some letters there... I did that for a reason:

point a: is the passenger waiting area (1st stop) for all the bee line buses heading northbound

(between points 'A' & 'D' are where bee line buses layover... some may even wait behind point 'D', especially when the artics are running on the 1W)

point b: "W. 244th st"

point c: a southbound Bx9 local stop; this is also where the bee line buses drop you off at (last stop)

point d: a northbound Bx9 stop

point e: a northbound BxM3 stop

(the BxM3 does not put you off at the same stop as the Bx9 does)

point f: burger king... have it your way !

point g: a southbound BxM3/southbound Bx9 stop... that is the closest BxM3 stop to the subway as it gets.... there is no stop of any kind in front of that burger king...

I have taken both Bee-Line BxM4C and BxM3 when MetroCard first introduce on Bee-Line Bus on April Fool's Day as part of My Birthday Week.

It not always slow.

This my report.

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/366327/page/1#Post366327

southbound? that's a mistake then...

I present to you, the general area of 242nd st/broadway:

you'll see some letters there... I did that for a reason:

point a: is the passenger waiting area (1st stop) for all the bee line buses heading northbound

(between points 'A' & 'D' are where bee line buses layover... some may even wait behind point 'D', especially when the artics are running on the 1W)

point b: "W. 244th st"

point c: a southbound Bx9 local stop; this is also where the bee line buses drop you off at (last stop)

point d: a northbound Bx9 stop

point e: a northbound BxM3 stop

(the BxM3 does not put you off at the same stop as the Bx9 does)

point f: burger king... have it your way !

point g: a southbound BxM3/southbound Bx9 stop... that is the closest BxM3 stop to the subway as it gets.... there is no stop of any kind in front of that burger king...

OK. I see what you're saying now.

VG8: By the way, looking at the map again, the BL-9 would also bring you to your destination. It runs every hour (see here: http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/rte_9_timetable.pdf) but it is another option (so basically, if you see it, don't pass it up)

If you take the BL-9, just make sure you are aware of the one-way loop pattern.

Do you remember my birthday adventure I posted on Straphangers Campaign.

I reported that Bee-Line riders who depends on BL9 doesn't like it. I wanted to try it, and folks told me that bus is unrealiable.

I'm just saying it is another option. He'll try to get the BL-2, but all I'm saying is that he can take the BL-9 if he sees it.

I'm sure via wasn't expecting all this.... lol....

One of my reasons was because of the extra options, but I felt that safety would be more of a priority for him (it doesn't really matter: Now he knows for sure that the best way is to go into The Bronx).

In any case, just out of curiosity, how is the ridership like on the BL-1/2? I would assume that the buses are more crowded south of Getty Square, because of the subway connection, but is that the case?

I remember waiting for the BxM3 once in Yonkers and seeing a bunch of Bronx-bound buses pass by, that seemed to have a decent load on them, but I'm wondering how the ridership is north of Getty Square.

I don't think it would be too crazy if the BxM3 stopped near the subway station. The BxM11 does it and it seems to be alright ridership-wise. It would provide an easier way to reach the East Side of Manhattan.

yeah, I didn't see your last reply right before I made mine... I was addressing where you brought up something about BxM3 stops being easier to find in the bronx compared to yonkers (which is true, but IMO rather petty/ridiculous to bring up as a defense to anything.. btw, the 1st stop on the BxM3 SB is marked)....

How is ridership on the BL-1/2

- Well, between 242nd subway & say main st/warburton (on the 1's) & at getty sq (on the 2), that's where the bulk of the riders travel to, buses often get crowded between those points... the BL-1 (no letters) is almost always crowded....

- Riders either still on the bus, or getting on (at or north) of main/warburton:

IMO, the 1w tends to get more unique riders than the 1c gets more unique riders than the 1t... the 1t & 1c are closer to each other ridership-wise than the 1w is to the 1c....

- the BL-2 north of getty square gets more & more light; not light to where it's like 5 people on the bus, but I'd say you'd expect to see the bus about 1/3 full (max) north of getty sq...

the part in green answers your 2nd question....

....far as the SB BxM3 stopping closer to the subway; it's pointless... for the simple fact that, if you're payin the express fare out of yonkers, what would be the point of takin it to the subway..... when you have the 1/1c/1t/1w, & 2 (which are more frequent, and cheaper, which all run along broadway up there), that'll also take you to the subway.... and on the bronx end, the bx9 performs that same task... don't underestimate bx9 ridership north of the subway...

Riverdalians, & w/e riders it has in yonkers (which aren't many, I'll admit) take the BxM3 for one purpose - and it aint for access to the subway....

...and the BxM11 PARALLELS the subway up there along White Plains road, bro; that's a different animal.... you can't compare the ridership habits of riders of the BxM11 to the BxM3... different class of people, and different expectations....

I'm sure via wasn't expecting all this.... lol....

yeah, I didn't see your last reply right before I made mine... I was addressing where you brought up something about BxM3 stops being easier to find in the bronx compared to yonkers (which is true, but IMO rather petty/ridiculous to bring up as a defense to anything.. btw, the 1st stop on the BxM3 SB is marked)....

How is ridership on the BL-1/2

- Well, between 242nd subway & say main st/warburton (on the 1's) & at getty sq (on the 2), that's where the bulk of the riders travel to, buses often get crowded between those points... the BL-1 (no letters) is almost always crowded....

- Riders either still on the bus, or getting on (at or north) of main/warburton:

IMO, the 1w tends to get more unique riders than the 1c gets more unique riders than the 1t... the 1t & 1c are closer to each other ridership-wise than the 1w is to the 1c....

- the BL-2 north of getty square gets more & more light; not light to where it's like 5 people on the bus, but I'd say you'd expect to see the bus about 1/3 full (max) north of getty sq...

the part in green answers your 2nd question....

....far as the SB BxM3 stopping closer to the subway; it's pointless... for the simple fact that, if you're payin the express fare out of yonkers, what would be the point of takin it to the subway..... when you have the 1/1c/1t/1w, & 2 (which are more frequent, and cheaper, which all run along broadway up there), that'll also take you to the subway....

and on the bronx end, the bx9 performs that same task... don't underestimate bx9 ridership north of the subway...

riverdalians & w/e riders it has in yonkers (which aren't many, I'll admit) take the SB BxM3 for one purpose, and it aint for access to the subway either....

I remember when I first went to Tarrytown, we took the Metro-North to Yonkers and then took the BxM3 (that was a mistake. We should've paid extra and stayed on until at least Marble Hill), and we were walking around Getty Square looking for the stop. We thought it would be where the driver let us off, but it ended up being a few blocks down.

As far as stopping near the subway, I was thinking that riders in Riverdale would use it just to reach Manhattan, rather than having to walk a few blocks north to get it (or maybe a stop by Broadway/Van Cortlandt Park South would work as well, so that the BxM3 riders don't risk a bus passing them because a Bee-Line buses was discharging passengers)

- Don't take the #1 bus. It leaves you off on Warburton Ave. You then have a very steep, winding walk up Odell Ave., over the aqueduct up to N. Broadway.

- The #2 now runs rush hour only past St. John's. Otherwise, a 4 block walk from Tudor Woods to the hospital.

- #9 runs past the hospital but only once an hour.

Take the # 6 from the stop on N. Broadway at Main St. in Getty Sq. The bus runs every 30 minutes and leaves you off opposite St. Johns. If you take the train, get off at Yonkers and walk across the street to the post office and you can pick up the #6 there.

If you take the BL-9, just make sure you are aware of the one-way loop pattern.

I understand you're (CC13) only throwin it out there as an option, but at the same time, be careful.... the BL-9 is nothin more than a backup to the 2 & the 5, and it runs VERY spotty... he'll be lucky to see one, let alone catch one....

bee line made it a loop, due to the fact that it's old route had abysmal ridership, and it was declining.... what it was, was that you still had your undesirables on the 2... the 9 was a route for those better-off folks that lived in NW yonkers, to have them have "their own" route to the RR station (MNRR Yonkers)....

this is what I like about Bee line... they made better use of the 9, by having it backup/parallel the 2 up there (instead of running separate to it), then across executive blvd, and back down nepperhan... ridership instantly increased, but again, all it does is take riders off the 2 & the 5....

- Don't take the #1 bus. It leaves you off on Warburton Ave. You then have a very steep, winding walk up Odell Ave., over the aqueduct up to N. Broadway.

Odell ave... that's it... that's the street I was referring to in post #15....

I wouldn't wish that walk on anyone... LOL

...then he would still have to walk some more, to get from north broadway to executive plz....

I understand you're (CC13) only throwin it out there as an option, but at the same time, be careful.... the BL-9 is nothin more than a backup to the 2 & the 5, and it runs VERY spotty... he'll be lucky to see one, let alone catch one....

bee line made it a loop, due to the fact that it's old route had abysmal ridership, and it was declining.... what it was, was that you still had your undesirables on the 2... the 9 was a route for those better-off folks that lived in NW yonkers, to have them have "their own" route to the RR station (MNRR Yonkers)....

this is what I like about Bee line... they made better use of the 9, by having it backup/parallel the 2 up there (instead of running separate to it), then across executive blvd, and back down nepperhan... ridership instantly increased, but again, all it does is take riders off the 2 & the 5....

Odell ave... that's it... that's the street I was referring to in post #15....

I wouldn't wish that walk on anyone... LOL

...then he would still have to walk some more, to get from north broadway to executive plz....

I guess if he did end up catching one, he'd be happy that it is a more pleasant ride than the 2.

So what was the old 9 route like (in terms of the routing)?

So what was the old 9 route like?

The old BL-9 went from MNRR Yonkers to North Yonkers...

...it split off from the BL-2 at park/fairview... then it turned on fairview, up ridge, swung over to morsemere, back on park av, right on roberts, up bellevue, til it eventually got to cross hill (a school)...

the 2's terminal in tudor woods (where it loops on delhaven) is no more than 3 short blocks away from that school....

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29368

reactions?

The BXM3 is only frequent cause its garage is at yonkers its cheaper for MTA to run a BXM3 then interline it with another yonkers rte like BXM11 at manhattan than DH all the way to manhattan. ERR no one will use BXM18 from yonkers buddy the only reason why BXM3 goes from yonkers is cause it's depot is there basically it serves yonkers by accident!!!! The only BXM18 trips that should go to yonkers are DH runs that become BXM18 thats it. The fact it cant use the FDR alone is enough to cripple this route badly. However If a guideway was build over the FDR and between I87 and HRD then BXM18 will become faster.

The BXM3 is only frequent cause its garage is at yonkers its cheaper for MTA to run a BXM3 then interline it with another yonkers rte like BXM11 at manhattan than DH all the way to manhattan. ERR no one will use BXM18 from yonkers buddy the only reason why BXM3 goes from yonkers is cause it's depot is there basically it serves yonkers by accident!!!! The only BXM18 trips that should go to yonkers are DH runs that become BXM18 thats it. The fact it cant use the FDR alone is enough to cripple this route badly. However If a guideway was build over the FDR and between I87 and HRD then BXM18 will become faster.

But don't most BxM18s deadhead back to Yonkers?

2) I'm not sure if the BxM2 should be eliminated on Sundays: It doesn't get that many riders per bus, but it is farily cost-efficient,

3) I'll agree with you about that, since Metro-North doesn't go Downtown (though you have to consider that this could take away some revenue from the MTA, as the express bus fare is lower than the Metro-North+subway fare)

4) I don't think that's necessary, since the BL-1/2/3 run fairly frequently on Broadway.

5) Agree, especially since there is no late night service on Metro-North.

By the way, where would you run the BL-1 overnights? Between Getty Square and 242nd Street. Maybe a Bx9 extension would be better for that.

Actually either option (BX9 should only be extended to Getty Sq late nights)is fine with me. Point is I seen quiet a number of people between 2-5am when the Hudson Line is not running ppl. use 'taxi service' between 242nd St (1)station and Yonkers as far north as the Getty Sq area.

Thus there is a need for a 24/7 Broadway route running at least every hour overnights between Getty Sq and 242 St subway.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a look around Getty Square there and let me just say that I will NOT be taking the BXM3 over there. That place is just not my cup of tea. I'll be much better off catching the BXM2 over on 6th and 41st and taking that to the last stop there in Riverdale and then getting car service, or a friend of mine can get me if he is not working. I'm just trying to determine how far it would be from Executive Plaza time wise by car though. I got a chance to view Riverdale Ave and I find it rather charming and basically what I was expecting to see. Looks like there are a lot of condos and such. :cool: It doesn't look uber rich, but it has a nice charm to it.

My friend tells me that that area there in Getty Square is South Yonkers and then he chuckled and I can see already that I would be a fish out of water. lol

From what I'm hearing though that area is supposed to be on the "up and up", but South Broadway in general around there looks way too urban for my liking. :eek:

Archived