Where do they all go?

OC Transpo 8238

These days, the MTA does not sell used buses; the MTA only scraps them. Before that, however, buses are sent to the graveyard at Eastchester Depot, where anything that can be reused is taken off the bus (i.e., windows, doors, seats, nose panels, side panels, Freon, all fluids, fuel, etc).

Then the retired buses are towed to Gershow Recycling in Medford, NY for shredding.

(As a result of this, the MTA now has an excess of windows, doors, and seats, which are re-used on the current fleet.)

Of course it's a good idea. The (MTA) realized a while back that they would save more money by stripping the old buses and reusing the parts, like transmissions, especially from discontinued models, than by selling the working buses.

I don't know why it took them so long to finally make this policy-many transportation and logistics companies have Ben doing it for years.

That explains why in that Nat Geo special 'break it down' showed a bus [with seats still inside] being shredded/ripped apart. though they have an excess, wouldn't it be a good idea to still keep those extra seats?

The MTA probably has more seats than it knows what to do with though.

@Dom - UPS has done the same thing with its trucks, except that they will run a truck until the body goes. I wonder if it would help the MTA to save money by running buses until the bodies go (and extending the replacement cycle to 17 years once all pre-2000 buses are out the door).

(At UPS, if a truck blows an engine, but the body is still good, a new engine is put in.)

• 1 month later...

Not to be off topic but I wonder if the buses in the Varsity Storage Yard can be sold? I'd love to buy GBL 1012 in a few years (if it is still there by the time I am able to drive and have alot of money). I wonder if the Coopers sold Jamaica Bus 3001 to that museum in PA or if it got towed.

The MTA probably has more seats than it knows what to do with though.

@Dom - UPS has done the same thing with its trucks, except that they will run a truck until the body goes. I wonder if it would help the MTA to save money by running buses until the bodies go (and extending the replacement cycle to 17 years once all pre-2000 buses are out the door).

(At UPS, if a truck blows an engine, but the body is still good, a new engine is put in.)

the problem with that suggestion is that most of the b/s that was purchased post-2000 will probably not see 15 years with all the problems they have.

And when an engine blows in a bus, it doesn't always mean the bus is scrap. if its an older bus, we don't waste time putting a new engine in it. but if its a bus that has 2 3 or more years left, it gets a freshly rebuilt engine..

the problem with that suggestion is that most of the b/s that was purchased post-2000 will probably not see 15 years with all the problems they have.

And when an engine blows in a bus, it doesn't always mean the bus is scrap. if its an older bus, we don't waste time putting a new engine in it. but if its a bus that has 2 3 or more years left, it gets a freshly rebuilt engine..

If the body is still sound, IMO, the MTA should get every last mile out of a bus. I know it's comparing package cars to buses, but at UPS, a vehicle can go 25 years oftentimes before the body finally goes. If the engine is still good, but the body has gone, the MTA should save the engine and store it, if there are less than 50,000 miles on the latest engine.

Archived